4 nights in San Antonio

Search

4 nights in San Antonio

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 nights in San Antonio

I will be spending 4 nights in San Antonio for a convention. I will have quite a bit of free time. What are the "must see and do" things. We are staying on the riverwalk and won't have a vehicle. There will be 6-8 adults no kids.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM

The first "must-see & do" would have to be the Alamo followed by the Governors' Mansion. If renting a car is out of the question, a tour of the Missions might be an option. Is the group interested in history?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:18 PM
dcespedes

Hi mcfarms--I hope your trip is scheduled for the fall...I was downtown today and while it was pleasant this morning it became quite toasty this afternoon. Not to worry, plenty of shade along the river Definately, take time to see the Alamo--there are two wonderful, small museums on the grounds--one of them is the Long Barracks Museum; the other is more of a gift shop but also contains interesting artifacts. The Buckhorn Saloon & Museum contains wildlife exhibits and artifacts. I'm not positive but I believe the downtown trolly will get you to the San Antonio Museum of Fine Arts which is excellent. The Tower of Americas, erected for the 1968 HemisFair, has an observation level and restaurant. La Villita is a small historic district dating back to the mid 1800's and today is a community of shops, restaurants, craftsmen. And be sure to walk along the Riverwalk where you'll find a lot of restaurants, shops, scenery. Hope this helps--enjoy your trip!

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM

See if you can rent a car for the day and go see the mission trail. It is really neat, and AFAIK, ther eis no other way to see them besides driving yourself. The visitor's center at San Jose has an excellent film and museum!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 01:18 PM
dcespedes

Hi ChristieP--you usually get these before me!

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:31 AM

There are several tour operators if you like that - check with your hotel. You are a short cab ride away from the McNay Art museum, a wonderful place to visit. The Institute of Texan Cultures is a good place to visist that is close to downtown hotels. Hop on a downtown trolley to check out Market Square for an admittedly contrived but still fun taste of Mexico. If it is not too hot and it appeals, walk through the King Willliam district just south of dowtown to see some of the beautiful old homes - you can even stroll there via the Riverwalk. While there drop in to nearby Rosario's for some great Mexican food, and don't miss the chocolate flan. Of course, don't forget about the Riverwalk itself!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 10:04 AM

It's good that you're staying on the riverwalk - you will have the best of San Antonio within walking distance!

I recommend a gondolla ride on the river after the sun has set -- beautiful!

Seamus mentioned the market -- it probably is a bit of a tourist trap -- but it's enjoyable and worth your time.

Boudro's is one of my favorite restaurants on the river, as is Biga.

If your looking for a bit of a party --Durty Nellies was a fun piano bar; it's also on the river.

Have a wonderful time!
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 10:05 AM

The boat tours on the river are relaxing and will give you great views of the downtown area and the riverwalk.

Donna
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 10:13 AM
jor

Downtown SA is a fantastic location for a convention. It is unlike no other city in America. The riverwalk is very European in character and the entire downtown is designed with the pedestrian (and river boat) in mind. Go to the tourist info center near the Alamo to find out about special quided tours to some of the outer area sites such as the missions. You also might want to check out the botanical gardens and solarium which was designed by the would famous I. M. Pai.