4 Days in Maui

Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 Days in Maui

My husband and I are going to Maui, won a trip. Will arrive on a Monday and depart on a Saturday, so we have 4 full days.

Any suggestions of things to see or not see? We want to use our limited time wisely.

Also, we wanted to fly over to see Pearl Harbor, but hotel quoted us price of over $400 apiece for all day tour. Is there a less expensive way to go from Maui to Pearl Harbor???

One more thing. To rent a car or not to rent a car . . .

Thanks for any advice!
-Lynn
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 07:56 AM

With 4 days only, I would not try to go to Oahu...that would be a long and expensive day. There is more than on Maui for the 4 days, and yes, you will have to rent a car, or you won't be able to see much. There are a lot of beaches to go to, places to hike, Haleakala, Iao Needle/valley, road to Hana, watersports galore (Snorkel Bob's for rentals) and shopping, both low-key and high-end. Get a guidebook for Maui and it will help you decide how to spend your time.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 08:10 AM

Ditto everything voyager said, especially with only 4 days. A car is an absolute must.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Ok great, thanks!
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great advice from voyager.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 12:39 PM

Try discounthawaiirentalcar.com, they are wholesalers and rent from the major companies and have good pricing.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 12:42 PM

Correct link: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
If you click on the button titled MORE at the top of the page it tells which company is which.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 02:12 PM

I know this isn't helping but If I only had 4 days in Hawaii I probably wouldn't spend the money and travel to pearl harbor. I would recommend staying on Maui. We went for the first time in 2012 and stayed for 12 days all in Maui and that wasn't enough time. Yes you will want to rent a car but I just wouldn't want to travel a whole lot if I only had 4 days in Hawaii.
Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM

I've been to the islands over a dozen times and still look forward to someday visiting Pearl Harbor and the Palace that prisoned the Queen. Someday in due time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 05:06 AM

4 days isn't enough time to spend a day flying to see Pearl Harbor. We attempted to do that twice when we spent a week on Maui and both times the early flight had problems and we wasted hours going to/from the airport.

Here are a few things you shouldn't miss doing on Maui:
1. http://www.oldlahainaluau.com - Best luau
2. google places to snorkel, purchase some snorkel masks at any ABC store and drive around - all the snorkel places we visited were in the Wailea area - you can just walk in off the beach and see tons of fish/turtles - our favorite spot was at the Ahihi Kinau Marine Preserve (Steven Tyler has a house right there).
3. either sunrise or sunset atop the volcano
4. take a surfing lesson

I would rent a car
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you staying?
We might be able to further refine your choices.
I suggest you just drive half- way to Hana, by then you've had the experience.
Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 09:36 AM

Ditto what Inakauaidavidababy wrote. And I'd say the same about Road to Hana. Been to Maui four times that I can remember and haven't driven it yet. You might do what logandog suggests if you're staying in Kihei or Wailea, or drive the road along the NW coast to the blowhole at Nakalele Point if you're staying west side. Either will give you a taste of RTH-like driving and scenery, which may be more than enough.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 06:21 AM

Might you extend this trip? Where is 'home'; how long is your flight?

Day One in Hawaii is largely spent getting used to the time change. (Don't schedule a big even that night; you will fall asleep in your soup.) No departure day is a full day either. What time does your flight home depart? (If late evening, book a late departure. You don't want to wander, homeless, from a 10 a.m. checkout to a late flight.)

Where is the freebie hotel? Yes, reserve a car for airport pickup/drop. Plan another trip when you can arrive or depart via HNL; stay Oahu a few nights to 'do' Pearl, Punchbowl, etc.
Old Apr 6th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

We are staying at the Sheraton Maui, on Kaanapali (sp?) Beach. My husband won the trip through his job, so we aren't able to change flights of arrival or departure.

We do have the 4 full days, not counting arrival day or departure day. Thanks for all the comments, you've been very helpful!
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There is some decent snorkeling right by the Sheraton Maui. We also did a helicopter ride that was pretty amazing.
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 09:24 AM

Keep in mind that people go to Hawaii and keep coming back just to get on Island Time, relax, enjoy the beautiful tropical scene, and soak up some Aloha to take home.

Enjoy Maui's easy-access beaches. You can snorkel from shore or take an excursion; Lanai is a good destination. Will you attend a luau? The two best in the state are Old Lahaina Luau and Feast At Lele, both in Lahaina; make a reservation now -- best seats go first.

Iao Needle is an eerie stop -- an hour or two. Go when Bailey House museum is open, also there in Wailuku.

I would NOT try Road to Hana or Haleakala in this short time. Maui is more about 'being there' than checking off this and that.

While you are there, figure out where you want to come back to stay longer! You know, on that trip where you include a few days Waikiki. LOL
Old Apr 7th, 2015, 05:08 PM

If the time change will be significant (we live on the East Coast so it's a big deal), you might want to use your first morning to see Haleakala Crater at sunrise. Since we woke up about 3 a.m. because of jet lag, we were wide awake for the drive. But dress for the weather if you go -- at 10,000 feet, it's cold in the morning.
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 05:29 AM

You will get many different opinions but most people will agree that 4 days is just too short to do everything!

I would definitely visit Haleakala.
Sunrise is a special time to go but as edjim says you have to go early (leave before 4am as it gets busy).
Still worth a trip any time of day!

My other priority would be to visit a few of Maui's outstanding beaches. Walking along the beach in the early morning or at sunset is one of my favourite things to do on Maui.
Snorkeling is good in many areas and you can see turtles and fish quite close to the shore. Or take a snorkeling trip (Trilogy and Pacific Whale Foundation are both good companies).

After that.. relax! You are in Hawaii, take time to enjoy it. Aloha

I'm not keen on shopping or luaus and the road to Hana doesn't draw me like it does for others.
I wouldn't make the trek to Pearl Harbor either.

Decide what's important to you!
Old Apr 8th, 2015, 09:04 AM

If I only had 4 days, I'd put my name on a chaise lounge and wouldn't budge! If, however, I could somehow be convinced to shut down my Kindle and get off my rear, I'd take a drive up to Haleakala via upcountry (well, that's the only way) but I wouldn't do it at sunrise (done it and it's just not worth it to me to get up at 3 a.m. for the privilege of freezing my a** off - for the record, when we were in Siem Reap, we also didn't leave for Angkor Wat early enough for sunrise). Last time we were on Maui, we left for Haleakala early a.m. (maybe 8:30 or 9), lovely drive, hiked 5 miles in the crater when we got to the top, and then moseyed our way back to Kaanapali via Makawao and Paia. Lovely day.

The road to Hana is spectacular, but it's a long long day - probably best saved for a longer trip.

Makena Beach is beautiful and you can also drive down to the end of the road to see the lava fields.

Go into Lahaina in the evening (don't waste daytime there) - it's a touristy but fun town - old whaling village now full of restaurants, souvenir shops, etc. Quaint though.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

You all have been most helpful, thank you!

I've been working on our itinerary this morning and I think I've mapped out what's on our "must-do" list.

Thanks for the comments!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -