4 Days; 4 mid-twenties; Where to go?

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Shannon

4 Days; 4 mid-twenties; Where to go?

Planning a trip for the end of April and would like somewhere warm. We would like a place with some night life and enjoy things during the day-see a few things, shop a little, etc. The others, unfortunately, ruled out Caribbean and Mexico. Nothing greatly expensive. Any suggestions/feedback is appreciated. Brainstorming places were Outer Banks, Savannah Georgia, New Orleans. However, I don't know much about these places.(Sidenote: Las Vegas doesn't interest me that much... really enjoyed Scottsdale/Phoenix).

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Meg

If you are planning a trip to New Orleans at the end of April, be forewarned that it's one of the busiest times of the year with the highest hotel rates of the year to go along with it. Jazzfest is the last week-end of April and the first week-end of May. I think the majority of the hotels have minimum stay requirements. Hotels book up months in advance. Since I live here now, it's been at least 5 years since I tried to book a hotel at that time of year. I remember calling 34 hotels with no luck - but finally found something at the Bourbon Orleans. Hotels are going up left and right, so I don't know if that has had an effect on rates or availability.

Aside from lodging problems, it's a nice time to visit. The weather is warm but not yet unbearable.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 07:35 PM
John

You're probably too late to find accommodations in New Orleans, and April is expensive there as well.

Savannah sounds like fun.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 08:45 PM
nick

Scottsdale would be my recommendation, the weather would be warm, but not too warm and pletty of nightlife and shopping.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Dana

Savannah is a really great city to go to if you want some culture. The downtown squares and riverfront are very interesting and beautiful. I suggest staying on the river or at the new conference center accross from it. There is a local beach - Tybee Island, but if you want something more touristy I suggest heading to Hilton Head, SC for the beach it will take less than 90 minutes and it is a very nice beach. So, with a little work you could get in culture, beach, and nightlife ( there are many bars and clubs downtown and on the river ), and shopping (quaint shops in the squares and 2 nice malls with most major stores). Email me if you need to know more. Good Luck!

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 04:52 AM
Ruth

Key West would be wonderful, but don't know if it fits in your budget at that time of year or if it's already too late to book rooms.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Lian

Key West would be ideal. It's warm, with plenty to do. But you also the option of just hanging out if you're not feeling all that energetic.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 12:56 PM
shannon

You may keep the advice coming, but thanks for all who have responded so far. Key West was a thought, but have heard it is a little pricey AND we may not be able to get anything this "soon" in advance. New Orleans sounds like it is out. I completely forgot it was Jazzfest. Scottsdale was a "been there, done that" at least for a couple years. However, Savannah sounds nice. I will search the site for more info. I thought of Savannah as the place where people go to do antiquing (SP?) and artsy things. Dana's info sounds perfect. How warm is it down there in April? Warm enough to walk along the beach and enjoy the sun? I may email you directly for info if that is fine. THANKS AGAIN all...

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:07 PM
sharona

Hi Shannon. My vote would be South Beach, Miami. My husband and I went there last June for a 4 day weekend and had a blast. Lots of nightlife, wonderful restaurants and definitely people watching! You can spend as much as you want but you don't have to and you'll still be able to get a nice place to stay. Plus it should be warm enough to actually enjoy the beach. If flights into Miami are full or expensive, try flying into Ft. Lauderdale. We saved about $200/ticket and by the time you deal with traffic from the Miami airport it was only about 25 minutes longer.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:22 PM
bhavana

how come none of you thought of San Francisco ? One of the loveliest cities on the west coast. spring is an ideal time to visit here, and 4 days is decent enough. there's plenty ofcourse to see in SFO itself - crooked street, golden gate bridge, do a lovely, relaxing and scenic bay cruise from SFO to angel island, alcatraz island and back, fisherman's wharf which is so lively any day any time, replete with stand-up comedians, street artists, and ofcourse our SFO favourite - clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.

For day trips outside the city, there's lovely muir woods and stinson beach just an hr north of SFO [driveable]. A little further north are the vineyards of napa and sonoma valleys, which would be very pretty at that time of yr.

Another awesome not-to-be-missed day trip is about 2-3 hrs down south of SFO, to Carmel-by-the-sea which is a lovely seaside town, very upscale, pure white sand beach, and further down is Monterey aquarium and the 17-mile-drive which goes along the famous golf courses of pebble beach.

so your 4 days would be filled with day time activities, a mixture of beaches, sight-seeing in SFO, a bit of trekking in muir woods if ur up to it, and wine tasting.

Night time is the best time to be in SFO, although regrettably, most restaurants wind up early dueing the week. Nevertheless, catch our local music-and dance extravaganza - beach blanket babylon.

I live in san jose, about 50 miles south of SFO, but my heart and soul is in SFO. It's one of the loveliest cities i hv seen, and i hv visited quite a few in the U.S

Another suggestion for 4 days is San Diego. pretty, pretty, pretty. sea world and wild animal park [not san diego zoo] are amazing places to spend the day [and not nefcessarily for kids, for anyone young at heart]. the beaches on coronado island [across the coronado bridge from san diego] are lovely to spend th day time, and the island also has a very charming downtown. san diego city's gaslamp qauarter is SO ALIVE and bustling atn night, a very new orleans-ish atmosphere, but lot more upscale, not as rowdy. plenty of bars and clubs. fun place !!

La Jolla, the home of UCSD, again has lovely beach [la jolla cove] nice downtown.

and 4 days is really ideal fos san diego. day time go to sea world, wild animal park, beaches. night hang out in gas lap or the 'old town', both of which hv nice spanish restauramts with live music.

san diego ofcourse is infamous as a 'party town' because of the young college crowd. so go to eityher SFO or san diego, both r lovely places to visit.

i'm 27 myself, very close to your age, and totally fell in love with san diego. SFO, i'm truly, madly, deeply crAZY ABOUT.

i hvn't been to savannah, but if you think it's nice, go ahead.

if u hv any questions regarding inexpensive acco in SFO or san diego, what to do, etc [from a local's perspective], just email me directly. i don't check fodor's very often, so i may not respond if u pose a question here.

so long ...

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 01:25 PM
bhavana

and oh, i too second the idea of miami and for lauderdale; but i would caution u abt the weather. miami can get humid, sulktry and sticky, which is a very uncomfortable feeling. november-december is probably a better time for miami, which is when i went [i'm very picky abt the weather when i visit a place, and make sure to go when it's comfortable and enjoyable].

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 08:51 PM
ab

What is the objective of the triP:

To hook up : Try miami and say your prayers

To meet someone, and enjoy some culture, and a quaint beach: Savannah and Tybee Island works!

Orlando is fun and can be inexpensive, Disney, MGM, Night Clubs, Mini Golf, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island Comedy Club, Dancing