Reload this Page >

4 day luxury/adventure weekend help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 05:28 PM
craig

My Wife and I (late 30s - we're getting away from the kids for a weekend) are looking for a 4 day adventure weekend in late June where we stay at a luxury hotel by night but get to enjoy adventure, such as whitewater kayak/raft during the day. We live in FL so we are looking for something in the eastern us as we don't have enough time to travel west. Thinking Virginia/North Carolina/West Virginia, although not limited to those destinations. Suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 07:44 AM
Gina

You could stay at the Greenbriar in West Virgina, a wonderful,luxury hotel. I'm not certain if there is white water rafting nearby. I know West Virginia has a couple of really good rivers for whitewater rafting. Maybe someone else could help with this.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Dona

Hi Craig,
Try Nemacolins woodlands resort and spa in farmington Pennsylvania. It is 60 miles se of Pittsburgh. All major airlines fly to PGH. Wonderful resort. A french chateau, 10 restaurants, 2 golf courses, equestrian center, spa and spa cuisine, lake, boats etc. they have a web site<www.nwlr.com>
There are 2 of Frank Lloyd Wright house to visit nearby and its in the mountains.Really a super place..

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Sal

If you want to stay in the Carolinas, I'd recommend Blowing Rock. We love Chetola Resort and the town. If you fly into Ashville it's a 2-hour drive. There are several rafting companies in the town, wonderful little restaurants, interesting shops and great hiking. Nearby is Yonalahsee which is also very luxurious. If you're tennis players, it has a great tennis center. If you decide on Blowing Rock, try to make it for the weekend they have Art in the Park. It's an excellent art show that is held monthly.

We also like Highlands, NC and the original section of the Old Edwards Inn.

There's always Charleston and Savannah. However, it's as hot there as it is in Florida that time of year. Being a Floridian, I love getting away to the Carolina mountains to escape the heat.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 05:31 PM
d.

My husband is an avid whitewater rafter, and wanted me to tell you about a website that may help you with the rafting end of your trip. It is www.rollingthunderrivercove.com