Search

4 Chicks in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 12:29 PM
oona

4 Chicks in Chicago

4 friends from Mpls are heading to Chicago for a weekend getaway...any suggestions of where we should go? we don't need super nice, but somewhere along super cool would be great. nice "joints" off the beaten path are a plus...we've all been to Chicago, it's just been a few years for us!
restaurants, clubs, pubs or bowling alleys...give me your best!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 04:05 PM
don

You might try Dick's Last Resort, a place with good pub food and live blues music. It is located in a renovated warehouse shopping area (can't remember the name) not that far from Navy Pier.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Donna

For bowling try Southport Lanes at 3325 N. Southport, they have human pinsetters, or Marina City Lanes at 330 N. State.

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Linda

My hubby and I did a wkend last year in Chi. We loved some of the crazy piano bars! Take cabs around and ask for suggestions- we hit about 7 in downtown one night!
There's a little "downstairs" Italian restaurant called Trattoria #10 that has a fabulous "cocktail hour" buffet starting at 5 for $10. We ordered a bottle of Chianti and grazed on fresh pastas, fresh mozzarella & tomatoes, salads, etc. This was a GREAT CHEAP meal and the bar had wonderful atmosphere. Another fun Italian place is Maggiano's. It gets crowded- but it's famous for HUGE helpings of traditional fareand a fun atmosphere.Yum! Have fun!!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 09:33 AM
allin

do you want trendy places or chicago classic?

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:24 PM
deb

We like Heaven on Seven. Go to the original one in the heart of the loop. It's a campy little place with great cajun/creole food. you've got to see it!

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:50 PM
H

Deb -

The original location is almost always open for lunch ONLY, and, on top of that, it's closed Sunday. It's open every 2nd or 3rd Friday of the month for dinner. So, the Garland Building spot may not be the most practical choice for a weekend visit.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 07:04 AM
sbb

well, well, well...super coo'...there's a B&B in Wicker Park (tho' never found out the name) it's on Wicker Park Dr. near Wolcott and Milwaukee. Would be convenient to ALL cool locales offered by Wicker Park and Bucktown. Breakfast: Bongo Room-loads of people, but great food and sorta hipster OR Twisted Spoke: Road Rash Bloodie Maries--mmm, good plentiful greasy food and people. There are is Chihuly exhibit (blown glass) strwen through a Nature Conservatory in Garfield Park. Lots of night life. Catch a show at Double Door. These crowds are not shiek, but gritty and prevelant to the neighborhood-Wicker Park, but Bucktown -1 mile away- is yuppified. Definitely venture into the Flat Iron Building at the corners of North, Milwaukee and Damen, artist's studios and odd stores abound. Enjoy this city. It's taken me so long to finally FULLY appreciate it!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 08:55 AM
Fran

Dear Oona,
You don't say how old you all are but here's a list of Chicago's cool hangouts:
W Hotels - both have a modern cool edge with lobby bars (great people watching)
Rande Gerber (Cindy Crawford's hubby) owns the bars in both.
Penninsula Hotel - very mod hotel and has a great bar.
Butterfield 8- new restaurant/club
Nine - sleek restaurant with Ghost Bar upstairs. Very Hip.
Whiskey Bar - Another Gerber owned bar which has more of a lounge feel.
Any bars in Bucktown area.
Narcisse - great champagne bar and late night spot.
Le Passage - very trendy (maybe too trendy)
Melvin B's (outdoor summer joint)
There's so many to choose from depending on what you want (blues, jazz, people watching, good food, etc.)
Hope this helps. Have fun!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 09:06 AM
Nyna

Old Navy Pier.....I spent a day there once and there was lots to do and see. It was a nice way to spend a gorgeous day in Chicago.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 10:22 AM
K

So, Don, are you saying that these chicks will like Dicks?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Whoa

Nyna, last I heard, Old Navy hadn't bought Navy Pier, nor does it have plans to.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:52 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:38 PM
H

Unless it's a gorgeous summer day/night, I don't think Navy Pier is worth a look (other than the Children's Museum). It's full of ticky-tack shops and not much else. Unless you're going to drink/dine al fresco or enjoy a fireworks show, don't bother. I'd highly recommend looking at metromix.com. It will allow you to search things by very specific criteria and get very frank feedback from locals about anyplace that might interest you.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:48 PM
Crox

Unless one knows your interests, it's hard to say. I could go on all day. It'smy city and I like going everywhere from bars to clubs to restaurants to shows... If you want to email, I can always share my thoughts. But try Metromix.com for the best site on the city's happenings.

Now I must go find out about Miami.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 05:53 PM
Linda

I agree. Navy Pier is a lot of kiosks and fast food fare. A few dinner ships cruise from there. However, if the weather is nice, it's a great way to travel to the aquarium/planetarium (boat).
In a prior post I mentioned Trattoria #10. They had a 5-8 buffet in the bar for 10 bucks that made for a great dinner! Very fresh,creative,great atmosphere and the best deal we found in Chi! Have fun