Search

4.5 hour layover in lax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:20 PM
smk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.5 hour layover in lax

Hi, does anyone have a suggestion for what we could do during this time besides waiting it out at the airport? Thanks
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:09 PM

What time of day will you be there? I assume your luggage will be checked through? You could have a meal at Encounter. http://www.encounterlax.com/encounter_dining.html
I'm thinking that 4.5 hours isn't really enough time to get someplace, do something and then get back in time to get back through security and to your gate. But, I hate to feel rushed at the airport, especially LAX. I always give myself the full recommended 3 hours, much to my husband's dismay. He's more of a run-to-the-gate-at-final-call kind of guy.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Take a taxi (only 10 min) to Marina Del Rey and have brunch/lunch at Cafe del Rey on the water on Admiralty Way.
Wonderful food, and they don't rush you, plus there are harborfront areas to walk around.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:50 PM

I've done this twice......once I caught a cab to Manhattan beach to eat a nice meal, but the cab fare was expensive.

Last week during my layover I caught the free airport shuttle to the bus depot, then caught the bus to Santa Monica Promenade (about 30 minutes). Ate lunch at Border Grill, then wandered the Promenade and caught the bus back. Not sure if you have time for that, though.

I've been told that another nice option is lunch at the Sheraton? that Encounter place sounds nice, though.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 09:58 PM

Security lines at LAX can be very, VERY long. Now, sometimes it will only take you 15 minutes - but during busy times 45 to 90 minutes or even more is not at all unusual. And most airlines are saying 2 hours advance check in - more if you are flying internationally. So w/ just 4+ hours you would do well to just stay put.

Even having a full meal at Encounter might take too long - but that would be my number one recommendation.

Otherwise just eat/read airside. If you got stuck in traffic or in a security line your tickets better be full fare/changeable w/o penalty . . . . .
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Are there any fun or nice places in LAX? SFO had just done such a fabulous completion of wonderful San Francisco dining options to make the SFO wait actually enjoyable and then 9-11 and all the security changes. It was fun even for locals to go for any meal. I wish more airports would involve the local flare to make waits comfortable.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:09 PM

I can't remember the name of the place but in the International terminal, on the level above the ticketing area, on the north end, there is a nice little place to eat. The decor and food are better than your average airport fare and the price was good too.