Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

4 - 28 year old guys in Georgia for 1 week looking for golf, nightlife & the Masters

Search

4 - 28 year old guys in Georgia for 1 week looking for golf, nightlife & the Masters

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:01 PM
Brian

Myself and three friends (all 28 years old) are going down to Atlanta on the Friday before the Masters and are looking to check-out Atlanta for the weekend, then get out of town and play golf for a couple of days and then attend the Wednesday Masters Practice Rounds.

- I was thinking Buckhead in Atlanta for a couple of nights, then
- What town should we go to hang out and play a couple of rounds of golf?
- Where should we stay near Augusta that is not $300/night?
- Any other general suggestions? None of us have ever been to Georgia.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:42 PM
OliveOyl

You've got invites for the practice rounds? Even they are hard to come by!! Lucky you.

That area sells out, from what I understand. We have a niece who lives there and talks of people renting out their houses even, so whatever you do find, find it fast and lock it up. Sorry I can't be specific about places to stay..my husband got to go a couple of times when we lived in Savannah, but staying anywhere was next to impossible so they drove up and back the same day.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:20 PM
xxx

I'd suggest Atlanta. Hotels sell out for a 300 mile radius. Remember, Augusta is a very small town and it has to house players, family, media, television crews, workers, etc. If you can find accommodations in Augusta, do it. You'll have a great time at the Masters (if you've never been) and beer and food is really cheap!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 04:17 AM
loud

Don't forget The Nation Council of Womens Organizations will have a big contigent down as well as NOW.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:32 AM
xxx

Hootie Johnson (CEO of Augusta National) doesn't give a rip about NOW. Augusta National has more money than god, the players will never boycott, and the networks will still bid millions to TV rights. NOW is hurting their cause more than helping it.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Huh?

What did I miss? Why is NOW boycotting the Masters?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Big

To xxx: Its only the NCWO who has the beef with Hootie.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Nuff Said

NOW is boycotting because the club will not allow a woman as a member.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM
xx

To Brian,

You realize that the Practice round tickets are given by lottery, don't you? It's like the Final Four. Don't know when the lottery takes place, but probably if you haven't booked rooms in Augusta now it's already too late (at any price)!

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 09:59 AM
xxx

Nuff Said, it doesn't have anything to do with a woman being a member (memberships are mostly held by corporations and not individuals). NOW is protesting because there are no women on the Augusta National Board of Directors. As far as practice tickets go, you have to know someone to get them.

Old Oct 21st, 2002, 06:16 AM
T.M.

Brian:

Congrats on scoring tickets. I went the last year you could get into the practice round without a ticket and while I'm not that much into golf, I loved it.

In the past, I have always been one to dismiss the rumors that Buckhead has gotten dangerous and that it's fine if you're watchful of your surroundings. However, I think I'm changing my mind. You may want to read this:
http://www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/metro/atlanta/1002/21buckhead.html

You might consider hanging out in the Virginia/Higlands area or Decatur. The nightlife is more in keeping with your age group and it's safer. Lots of great restaurants/pubs/bars. Buckhead is starting to get taken over by teenagers who have no place else to go and want to cruise.

As for golf, there are a lot of great courses in and around Atlanta. Chateau Elan to the north has a good one. And Callaway, down south in Pine Mountain, is awesome. Just not much to do around that area.

As for Augusta, it is not THAT small. However, I agree that you might want to lock in your accomodations now. The town goes pretty nuts during that week and for good reason.

Have fun and feel free to ask me any other questions.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 09:42 AM
jill

Try staying in Athens, GA home of the Univ of GA. Lots of partying opportunities there. Otherwise try the South Carolina side of Augusta. If you are going Wed only don't stay there at all. Augusta is dull.

Buckhead is over. Go with Virginia Highlands or Midtown.

Golf at Bear's Best in Suwanee (25 miles out of Atlanta).

Old Nov 3rd, 2002, 01:20 PM
Heather

Brian, I live in Augusta. Here are a few corrections / suggestions:

Augusta is the second largest city in Georgia, with a metro population of 500,000. We have plenty to see and do other than the Augusta National Golf Club. Unfortunately, Masters' week is not the week for touring our fair city, since the locals take advantage of the tourism boom and jack up prices at hotels, restaurants, and golf courses.

Try Aiken, South Carolina or Thomson, Georgia (each about 20 miles away on I-20) for hotel accommodations. Most of the Augusta hotels quadruple their prices with four-night minimums.

I would stay in Atlanta for golf/entertainment until Tuesday. The Atlanta CVB website will give you a list of public and semi-private courses in the Atlanta area.

Tickets to the practice rounds (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) are by lottery. The applications for the 2003 tournament practice round tickets were due in July. You can get info on applying for 2004 practice round tickets at www.masters.org.

Have a great time at tournament. All the players are in by Wednesday, the course is the prettiest and best maintained in the world, and there is a fun Par 3 contest Wednesday afternoon.

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 04:59 AM
xxx

Depending on how much traveling you want to do, you might try out the Lake Oconee area for golf and lodging. Cuscowilla, Reynolds Plantation, and several others provide GREAT golf and are about 11/2 to 2 hours from Augusta.

Enjoy the Masters!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:34 AM
goaway and start yourown

there are no corporate members of augusta national, only individuals. the club has no prohibition barring women members, just no women members. it is exclusive-there are former u.s. presidents (itself an all male club with no prohibition against women) who would not be allowed to join. even were there a formal prohibition so what? that's what a club is by definition- agrupo of people who choose to be around others with similar interests, and to exclude others with whom they choose not to socialize. how many men does ncwo have?

Old Feb 21st, 2003, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey 4- 28 year old guys. I am from Augusta, GA. Hotel rooms and houses to rent usually go fairly fast (and for a high price), so make sure to book well in advance. Hotels also spike up their prices that week. An alternative would be to look at hotels in Aiken, North Augusta, sc (there are a few in NA--Sleep Inn, and the North Augusta hotel, the Delux Inn--Sleep Inn being the best). NA is only 15/20 minute drive to the course--depending on traffic. Congrats on getting tickets!!
Augusta isn't a fun place to live in during the Master's.. but a fun place to party in (Coyote's on Peach Orchard Road)...
If you have any other questions feel free to email me. Have fun.
Old Feb 21st, 2003, 06:19 PM
GoTravel

I am so excited! I have practice round badges for Wednesday and badges for Thursdays play! We are renting a house.