Search

3 week trip-we'd like input

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 week trip-we'd like input

Hi,
We have the luxury of taking an almost 3-week driving trip in Colorado. We're flying into Denver Sept 23. 2005 and we don't depart until Oct 11. We know the first thing we're doing, we have a cottage by the river rented near Estes park for 3 nights so we can visit RMNP. after that, we're flying free, no reservations (other than a last night near the Denver airport to expedite leaving) So, what are your recommendations? Here's some criteria: we don't like the city. we like to walk but not long hikes (not more than 5 miles total)We've got a lot of guidebooks and we know what's in them...so what we want is what's special to you if you've visited here..what's off the beaten track..we like to go places that aren't 'tourist' spots'. Tell us what you find special about this vast area of the Colorado Mountains. We're going to stay in the Rockies mostly, with side trips to Gunnison, Mesa Verde and Colorado National Monument.
We'd appreciate any input!
Thanks,
Savannah
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 07:58 PM

I like Hwy 82 over Independence Pass. The Million Dollar Highway 550 from Montrose to Durango. Mesa Verde is worth at least 2 nights so you can do the three Ranger guided tours.

If you run out of things to do in Colorado you could always take a quick trip to Moab, Utah and see Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. If you go, take Hwy 128 from Cisco into Moab. Very scenic!

Utahtea
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:03 PM

Just some ideas... when you leave estes park drive the peak to peak highway to I-70... and stop in Idaho Springs for lunch at Beau Jos. Drive to Breckenridge (2-3 nights) ... then onto Aspen (2-3 nights... hike up around the Maroon Bells) over Independence pass and into Crested Butte (dinner at Slogars - 2 or 3 more nights)... onto Ouray (1 night)... down the million dollar highway to Durango (3 nights - there's a famous Victorian Inn downtown and the name is absolutely spaced out of my mind - but its nice)... visit Mesa Verde as a day trip out of Durango... and take Wolf Creek pass back to Denver. I like to stop at Red Rocks Ampitheater just west of Denver off I-70... and have dinner your last night in LoDo. There's a million other choices... and all our nice. Just keep in mind - most passes close either on a schedule (Independence closes around Oct. 1) or when it snows... So if you get snow - you may have to detour.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:16 PM

I like Ouray for a not-too touristy town. It's beautiful.

Also, check out the Great Sand Dunes near Alamosa.

Strawberry Springs in Steamboat is a lot less touristy than Glenwood Springs, but I still like Glenwood.

I love Grand Lake. You can hit that if you go the back way through RMNP.

I like the Maroon Bells but do not recommend Aspen.

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM

#1 on my list is always the loop from Ouray to Durango on Hwy 550 - Million Dollar Highway. Spend at least a night in Ouray - there are 4 wheel drive trips that you can hire from there to experience some truly spectacular scenery. If you are a little less adventuresome, there are hot springs in Ouray where you can soak. You will probably be there for the peak of the aspens turning - great timing!

I would also recommend a day trip from Durango on the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad. It goes through some of the most pristine and untouched scenery in SW CO, and it will be absolutely spectacular with the aspens in full color.

I agree that Mesa Verde is worth at least 2 nights. Stay in the park at the Far View Lodge for the maximum experience and access. If you enjoy archaeology/ruins, there are a number of sites in the Four Corners region that are accessible.

Three weeks in Colorado as the trees turn...I'm so jealous.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:02 AM

i like trail ridge road, assuming it is open, i also like grand lake, it is the quiet side of rmnp. i agree you should do the million dollar highway, i was in durango and telluride/silverton but only for ski season, telluride might be fun and has great b&b's. I also went to grand junction to go to colorado national monument for some easy hiking. i also hit great sand dune national monument and saw golden eagles hunting the fields on the way into the park. I love estepark too. stayed and had a place with kitchenette, fireplace and outdoor hot tub right on the road into the park, elk wandering thru.... great. enjoy
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:58 AM

I reside in Durango so have alot of infor about it.
Great restaurants
nice day hikes
Pagosa Springs-an ab-fab hot spring,my total favorite!
agree with 2 days at Mesa Verde
Million dollar hwy
Train is okay but loooong-try to only go one way.
Silverton-cute old town
Telluride is great
Had the fortune of staying at the Broadmoor last weekend in CSprings, the best hotel around.
The Victorian hotels are two in downtown-The Strater and The General Palmer=both really nice.
Ouray is also very cute-looks like a Swiss chalet type town...they have some killer ice cream too!(hehe)
If you need more info, just ask.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I can't remember trail ridge road being open in October... They always report the closing on the news - and its generally just after Labor Day.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:58 PM

RMNP is awesome ! The cabins at Idlewilde by the River are great - rustic looking cabins with screened porches with views of the river - complete with swing and chairs - cabins are various sizes and all have kitchens. The owners are more than accomodating with area info. Skip Aspen and Breck - try Frisco, Leadville, Steamboat Springs is nice town too. Ditto above ideas on Durango area and Independence Pass (you will pass thru Aspen which is nice to see but not worth an overnight stay unless you are into spending money and rubbing elbows with the wealthy - sorry for those that love it - I have many friends that do but it has never done anything for me). You will find many quaint towns in your travels and will enjoy stopping when the mood hits you ! It's easy in Co ! There are some nice towns west of Colorado Springs also... I will get my map out and post again. My first trip to Co was 15 yrs ago and we made the first night and last night's reservations and just played it by ear the rest of the time ! Is anyone familiar with some neat cabins near Collegiate Peaks ? As I recall, it was some type of religious place but they had tons of cabins with nice porches and tons of wildlife - lots of hiking opportunities there.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 03:14 PM

I totally agree with utahtea! While we love colorado, with three weeks i would most definitely explore utah also. You can cover alot of ground in 3 weeks (we do it every summer) and there is soo much out there to explore. While you don't want a 'drive-by' vacation, you still could include parts of utah, and possibly arizona and new mexico, too. It all depends how much time you want to spend at each place. Whatever you do, it will be a great trip.