3 Days in Oregon in July

Search

3 Days in Oregon in July

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2018, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Days in Oregon in July

Hello - my husband and I are having an Oregon getway in late July for 4 nights/3 full days. We are flying in to Portland and would like to spend most of our time in "wine country" but are also considering traveling to the Mt. Hood or coast for one night. I would appreciate any suggestions on:
  • Hotels/Restaurants/not-to-miss wineries in the Willamette Valley
  • Outdoor activities in the Willamette Valley (we can't drink wine the whole time, right?); we are both active and my husband loves to hike
  • Opinions on coast vs. Mt. Hood area - both look gorgeous!
Thanks,
Rachael
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 09:17 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
My own choice would be the Hood River area, maybe even for the whole time. There are numerous wineries in the Hood River Valley, and you can also travel east to the Maryhill area where there are more. When you're not sipping, you can be hiking, visit Mount Hood, go kitesurfing or whatever on the Columbia, explore waterfalls in the Gorge, go white water rafting in White Salmon, visit some craft breweries... More variety in a marvelous compact area.

Hood River County Fruit Loop, Hood River, Oregon
https://www.winemag.com/2017/01/05/h...inations-2017/
Home | Columbia Gorge Wine Country
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Good ideas from Gardyloo. I'm hoping that more of the Columbia Gorge waterfalls will be available by late July. There was a huge forest fire late last summer which has made many areas unsafe.
The Evergreen Air and Space Museum is worth most if not a whole day. It is SE of McMinnville along Rt. 18. The central feature in the air museum is the "Spruce Goose"
The area south of McMinnville is full of small wineries.
Are you sure that you don't want to visit the coast? How are you arriving in /leaving Oregon?
Old Apr 26th, 2018, 05:36 PM

If you want to go to wine country, the A-list is the Willamette Valley. There are several areas of it and hopefully MMS will come by and give advice. Otherwise, look for her her threads. I have visited some of them, but in a state like this I just don't consider myself a wine expert. With four nights and 3 days, are those weekend or weekdays? Driving on Hwy 18 etc can be pretty painful on the weekend.

In some of the towns on the Oregon Coast, you will see a two-night minimum for lodgings. However, this is not true everywhere or in all towns. Besides being beautiful, the Oregon Coast can be a pleasant respite in terms of temperature. I noticed on your other posts that you have kids. If they're coming, I'd definitely vote for the coast, and preferably Newport. Very cool aquarium with a shark tank you won't forget. The working port, sea lions on the dock, a lighthouse....

On the other hand, I do really like the Columbia River Gorge, so I don't want to dismiss that suggestion either. If you do follow Gardyloo's idea of going on to Maryhill, I'm also a fan of that museum. Last fall we went on a weekend to The Dalles. We really enjoyed near wineries at Lyle, Washington. But again, bear in mind I am not a serious wine drinker so do your own research. It can get pretty hot in the Gorge, especially as you go east but it's a dry heat.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gardyloo! I didn't realize there were wineries in this area. Good food for thought and discussion with my husband!
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tomfuller! My dad worked for Northwest Airlines for 41 years and I had read about the museum before, so it was on my list of potential places to visit. Good to hear that it is a not-to-miss!
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Oh, and we are indeed considering the coast...can't decide...wish the trip was longer!
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Good to know about the minimums! We will be without the kids - which is why we have just 3 days. We are flying into Portland on Saturday and flying out Wednesday morning, so a mix of weekend/weekday. As I am looking into all the things there are to do, hopefully we can make a trip back with the kids. We are from Athens, Georgia, so dry heat (rather than humidity) would be welcomed!!!!
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 01:20 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Just so you know, everything west of the Cascades peaks (including the Willamette Valley) is considered the "wet" side of Oregon. The dry side is east of the Cascades. Bend is at the edge of the High Desert.
Bend reached 80* two days this week but Mt. Bachelor has over 80" of ski base.
If you want to see a broad view of Oregon, this is the route I might take: Land at PDX and rent a car. Take I-84 east and see Multnomah Falls and perhaps another waterfall on the way to Hood River. Spend a night in Hood River. Enjoy watching the wind surfers on the Columbia River. On Sunday drive south on Rt. 35 on the east side of Mt. Hood up to US 26 taking US 26 into Madras and US 97 into Bend. See what you can in Bend Sunday night and 3 or 4 hours on Monday. The High Desert Museum should be high on your list.
Leave Bend on US 20 west through Albany and Corvallis (Oregon State) to Newport. Spend a night in the Newport area. You should be able to get a 1 night stay on a Monday. Tuesday is your day to see the Oregon Coast Aquarium south of Newport and then head north on US 101 until you get to Otis. Turn east on 18 to get to the Evergreen Air and Space Museum SE of McMinnville along Rt. 18.
See whichever wineries you want to before heading back to Portland.
Old Apr 27th, 2018, 02:43 PM

With your interests and 3 full days, I would do one day at the coast, one day in the Willamette Valley and one day at the gorge.

Yes, for the coast most hotels in Cannon Beach and quite a few in Seaside now require 2-3 night minimums. That said, we have often gone over for a night and managed to squeeze in between others reservations, so if that interests you start calling now. Otherwise it is a very easy day trip as CB/Seaside are only about 90 minutes from Portland.

As for the wineries, yes, the Willamette Valley hands down. The gorge has wineries, except for a few, they are not even close regarding quality. In the WV, look to Newberg, Dundee, Carlton and McMinnville for lodging. Without knowing your style/budget etc, I will throw out a few options to check out. The Allison in Newberg is beautiful and has an amazing spa, as well as restaurant. It is not within walking distance of anything though. Also in Newberg, up on Chehalem Mountain is Chehalem Ridge B&B. It only has a few rooms, is not walking distance to anything, but has the most amazing views and a great deck to enjoy them from. In Dundee, Inn At Red Hills is great and while it sits right on highway 9, noise is not an issue. We stayed there once for a special event when we didn't want to drive home, and we loved it, FWIW. From there you can walk to over a dozen tasting rooms and a couple of the best restaurants in the valley. Those include Red Hills Market which does wood fired sandwiches and pizzas and is a deli as well, Tina's, Babica Hen and Dundee Bistro. McMinnville has a really nice downtown with some great restaurants and shops, and a few hotels right in downtown. The new Atticus has been a hit, but there is also the McMenamins Hotel Oregon which is a favorite of mine. For restaurants, there are too many to mention, but a few of my favorites are Bistro Maison, Wildwood Cafe, Red Fox Bakery, Nicks, Gem, La Rambla, and the Barberry. Dayton has a tiny downtown, but the Joel Palmer House is well regarded (big focus on mushrooms here), and then their sister restaurant The Barlow Room (love this place), and the Block House Cafe. Seufert Winery is next to Block House, and the Dayton Mercantile is there too which is a fantastic little gift store.

As for wineries in this area, there are over 400, so you have a lot to choose from! My personal favorites include Arbor Brook, Brick House, Tristaum, Seufert, Stoller, and Grochau.

There really isn't much hiking in this area at all. Instead do that either in the gorge, or head down to Silver Falls State Park which is just east of Salem. Or you could do Saddle Mountain on the way to CB/Seaside as that trailhead is only about 12 miles or so from 101.

As mentioned, the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum is excellent.

For the gorge, due to the massive fire this past summer, most of the trails on the OR side are closed. The old scenic highway is closed from Bridal Veil Falls to Ainsworth State Park. So for hiking either go much further east out past HoodRiver to Rowena, or cross over into WA for better hiking. Two very popular trails, for good reason, include Hamilton Mountain and Dog Mountain. If you go further towards Carson, Falls Creek Falls is a fantastic waterfall hike.

For wineries in this area, as I said they just do not compare to the quality found in the WV, but there are a handful of good ones. In Lyle, COR is very good. There are 3 others in Lyle as well, so if you want to do any tasting our here, just go there and do it all at once instead of driving all over.
Old May 22nd, 2018, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

A belated thank you to all for sharing your thoughts! It is very helpful as we are finalizing our plans.