Search

3 days in New York

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 08:06 PM
holly

3 days in New York

I'm taking my mom to the city Nov. 15-19. We'll have 3 full days to spend there. It will be our first time to New York. We have planned an evening showing of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. I also sent an email request to Big Apple Greeters. I never heard back, so I don't know if this is a go. My mom would really like to take a dinner cruise to see the Statue of Liberty and the city lights. Do you have any suggestions for a good dinner cruise? What about other ideas to fill our days? We don't mind walking a bit, but since my mom is recovering from a broken ankle we don't want to overdo it. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 08:12 PM
jill

http://www.worldyacht.com/

The best dinner cruise.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 09:32 PM
David

The best way to get a great overview of the city, given your limited time, is to take a Gray Line Tour. You can hop on and off the buses at over 40 different stops. I have taken both the Uptown and Downtown tours, and thought that both were excellent. If you only have time to take one of the tours, take the downtown tour. You can also buy a ticket for Ellis Island at the same time that you buy the tour bus ticket. I highly recommend Ellis Island.
You can purchase tickets at one of several visitors centers:
8th Avenue and 42nd St; 8th Avenue between 47th and 48th Sts.; and Broadway between 47th and 48th Sts.

Go to www.graylinenewyork.com for more information. Have a great time in The City.

Old Nov 9th, 2002, 10:32 PM
tweedy

You will have a great time here. The weather should be nice for your visit in the 50's so bring some warm clothing.

Radio City Christmas show is so much fun, and for another Christmas treat you might take in a matinee of A Christmas Carol at the Theatre at Madison Square. You can get discount tickets here on Coke cans, buy one ticket get one free. Take the can to the box office when you buy the tickets.

Another option would be Carnegie Hall, and there is a wonderful concert on Friday night (happens to be a chorus I am singing with). We're doing Mahler's 8th Symphony. There will be almost 600 singers AND a full orchestra. If you have not heard the music before it is really wonderful and with almost 600 singers we will do a bit of roof raising. You can get tickets through the Carnegie Hall box office or try www.carnegiehall.com for more information. I will be the redhead in the second row on stage left.

Ok other ideas are shopping in Soho, the South St. Seaport, Dim Sum in Chinatown, Veniero's for the best desert you have ever had (that's at 2nd Ave and 11th St). The Met Museum, Museum of Natural History or The Cloisters, ( a bit of a surprise, not as well known outside the city, but this time of year VERY special with all the colour. It overlooks the Hudson, on the upest west side. Take the A train to 191st St. and walk through Ft. Tryon Park to the Cloisters.)

There are a couple of dinner cruises that leave out of the west side, World Yacht is probably the best. Get tickets asap. Those cruises fill up fast. I think the price is about $80pp, so I don't think it is worth the trip. You might try the Staten Island Ferry (free each way) and find a great restaurant instead and we have lots of those. I would take the Ferry just at sunset and the return trip is amazing with the lights on in Manhattan.

From there you might head up to Chinatown and if so go to the Peeking Duck House on Mott St. Also you can shop in that area later in the evening, and walk from there to Little Italy for a special desert.

I would suggest getting a map of the city so you can find your way around town a bit easier. Also get a Metrocard so you can hop on and off buses whenever you want.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful time while you are here.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Jen

Don't worry if you don't hear from Big Apple Greeters, I was very disappointed in my experience with them.

I second (third?) the recommendation for the Gray Line's hop-on-hop-off tours. The 2-day all-loops tour is excellent. This includes the uptown and downtown loops as well as a nighttime tour (not hop-on-) through lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. In addition to the locations above, you can get tickets at Macy's, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, and the Waldorf Astoria.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 02:25 PM
holly

Thanks for the ideas. We'll be staying at the Marriott East Side on Lexington. Is it safe to walk back to the hotel after the shows (Marquis Theatre & Radio City Music Hall) in the evening? I heard it is a nightmare to hail a cab then. What about walking back from the cruise in the evening? If it is safe, does anyone have suggestions for good restaurants near the shows and the port where the cruise is?
Sorry we can't make it to see you Tweedy. We won't arrive until late Friday evening. I'm sure we would have loved the concert. Maybe another time...

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 02:57 PM
jill

I don't think walking back to the hotel from the Cruise would be a good idea.
That would be off the Westside Highway and far from your hotel. And not the greatest area later in the evening for two ladies alone.
A cab is easy to get there, they will most likely be waiting.
After the show, walk a few blocks from the theatre and try hailing a cab, much easier than right in the thick of things.
Radio City is just down the block from Rockafeller Center, that would be a nice place to walk to after the show. You could eat at Rock Center in the nice restaurant that allows you to sit and watch the skaters...sorry, I cannot remember the name of the restaurant!! Ach! someone will probably have better ideas or will have the namemy memory is kaput!
Try www.newyorkled.com for some ideas.
Jill

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 03:01 PM
x

http://www.theinsider.com/nyc/attractions/2rockefe.htm

Some stuff about Rockafellar Center

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:14 AM
SEH

Holly, what about going to Afternoon Tea? Check out the Pierre Hotel, it has a lovely tea room and it would a relaxing and enjoyable time. I also would recommend you take a cab back to your hotel after the cruise. Also, if you have the time, take the bus up Madison to 81st Street, walk over a few blocks to the Metroploitan and take one of their free highlight tours (about 45 minutes if your Mom is up to the walk) and be sure to see the beautiful Chirstmas tree the Museum set up each year. There is information about the museum on-line as far as times, admissions etc. Have a wonderful time!

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Howard

You're okay walking back from the Marquis and the Music Hall. But, as a previous poster wrote, definitely take a cab after the cruise. You should no problem getting a cab there.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:31 PM
HereItIs

Top For Holly.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:09 PM
xxxxx

If you had used your energy and looked through the posts properly before throwing a wobblie - it might have helped!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Holly

What's a wobblie? I used this for the first time a few days ago, and I'm learning, but I don't know what this is. I'm guessing it means searching before asking or something like that. I now know how much you can learn through the searches. I even found some info about the seating at the theater after I posted that one tonight. Now I see how much info. is already out there. Sorry to waste your time, but I guess you could just ignore me if it bothers you that much.

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 08:07 AM
maybe

Holly is this the post you thought was gone?

Old Nov 14th, 2002, 09:19 AM
holly

Wrong Holly.

Old Nov 17th, 2002, 06:51 AM
sss

Holly, ignore posts from xxxxx ([email protected]) they are always negative and usually very condescending.

A I post this you should be on your trip - please be sure to let us know how your visit to NYC was, we are looking forward to hearing from you!