Search

3 days in Alaska - suggestions please!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 days in Alaska - suggestions please!!

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Alaska for the July 4th weekend, which is merely 3 days to explore the beautiful state. So, experts/Alaskans - will you be kind enough to throw in your ideas for a 3-day itinerary? I'm confused as to whether to fly to Anchorage and tour around or whether to just visit the south east corner, the Juneau area. I'm not that into wildlife or bird watching. Glaciers are my #1 attraction in Alaska. Also read there's some scenic railroad in the hills. And the ice sculpture museum at Fairbanks is also something I'd like to check out. Northern lights is a thing on the wishlist too, but I know July is not the time for Aurora borealis. And Denali nat park - is it a must see? Are there any good glaciers in the Anchorage area, or is the Glacier bay nat park near Juneau the place to be to see the glaciers? Lots so questions huh I'd be happy to hear some trip ideas from the members here.. July 4th isn't too far away,, so hurry up with your replies people

Thx
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:33 AM

For the most things to see and do in the least amount of miles, I vote for Anchorage to Seward. You can take a tram ride to the top of Alyeska. Visit Portage Glacier visitors center. Take a Kenai Fjords boat trip out of Seward to see glaciers. Keep in mind July 4th is big in AK. Seward has a big race up the mountain so you would need to book now to get a hotel room. Seward is about 2-3 hours from Anchorage so to include a boat ride, it's too much for a day trip although if stuck for a room you might find something in Girdwood. We've attended the big 4th of July parade in Kenai but parades probably aren't on your wish list. Also, check the date for the Forest Fair in Girdwood, it's around the 4th of July so that might also make accomodations hard to find. We have not been on the boat trip out of Whittier so that might be a better alternative except Whittier is the one place we've visited and don't plan on seeing again since it's a former secret military base (ugly buildings) in a beautiful location and requires a scheduled drive thru a toll tunnel (traffic has to share the tunnel with a train).
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:42 AM
cd

We took this tour out of Whittier to view glaciers and enjoyed our time there, you do get up close. http://www.alaskatravel.com/whittier...er-cruise.html
However, what we really enjoyed was walking on one! You helicopter out of Juneau and land on a glacier. It was expensive but incredible.
http://www.coastalhelicopters.com/
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:23 AM

If glaciers are your priority, then get yourself on a long boat tour out of Whittier. Including Esther Passage is a highlight. Along the way, also stop in at the Portage Glacier Visitor center, very worthwhile.

With only 3 days, you don't have time for much else, and definately don't bother, thinking of any Northern Lights, or Denali Park. The most scenic portion of the Alaska RR is Anchorage/Seward, so I would suggest considering that the other 2 days, with an overnight in Seward.