3 Day Seattle Vacation

Apr 19th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

3 Day Seattle Vacation

We're taking a three day vacation to Seattle around Memorial day. We were only able to schedule three full days and we're trying to see as much as we can.

We came up with the schedule of seeing the sites of Seattle on Friday, a day trip to Victoria on Saturday via the ferry, and a day trip to Olympic National Park on Sunday. We know we can't see the whole park in one day, but we were hoping to see Hurricane Ridge and part of the Hoh rainforest.

Is this a resonable itinerary?
Apr 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I don't think it's reasonable. I'm guessing (and hope another poster will be more accurate) but both trips are a 3-4 drive so possibly 8 hours RT two days in a row.

Memorial Day weekend is Folklife Festival at the Seattle Center if music of all kinds is of interest (food too!).
Apr 19th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Oops a quick Map Quest said 5 hr 15 mins 1-way for "seattle to olympic national park". And 4 hr 14 mins "seattle to victoria bc".
Apr 19th, 2005, 02:44 PM

You have chewed off a lot (too much?) for three days. However, if you are determined, here is how you might accomplish most of what you have in mind.

Saturday morning drive to Hurricane Ridge.

In the afternoon drive to Crescent Lake and from the lodge take the easy hike to Marymere Falls. In so doing, you will pass through a rain forest (not the Hoh Rain Forest, but a rain forest nonetheless).

Drive to beautiful Ruby Beach and then back to Crescent Lake Lodge for a good dinner in a beautiful setting..

Spend Saturday night at the Red Lion Inn, which is next to the ferry dock.

On Sunday morning, take the ferry to Victoria and return to Port Angeles via ferry on Sunday evening. (See www.cohoferry.com)

Book any hotel and dinner reservations as soon as possible.
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Don't forget it is Memorial Day (or did you really mean "approximately"?) and that adds more woes to your getting around.

If I were you I'd simply drop the Canadian portion of your trip, and if you must go to Canada on that schedule, do Vancouver instead.

For this I will pretend you're arriving late Thursday night and departing early Monday morning:

I would just stay in Seattle and "see the sights" for all of Friday, and most of Saturday, and then drive, strategically, either down to Olympia and out toward the peninsula, OR take a ferry across Puget Sound from Seattle, to be positioned conveniently in the area of your choice to best allow a throrough exploration of the Olympic National Park areas that interest you.

Just the idea of Memorial Day Weekend traffic alone is sure to slow down your progress.

Maybe you will return here and update us on your visions.

Apr 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM

Good point! Anything that involves driving a car onto a ferry, may take hours of a wait to be able to get on, on a holiday weekend.
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:24 PM

Good ideas, Happytrails. I think, if they still have it, the Swiftsure sailing race (in Victoria) is usually on the Memorial Day weekend as well. I do recommend this type of itinery rather that coming and going from Seattle.
Apr 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM

I too agree, you have too much planned, I also NEVER consider Victoria a day trip, there is so much to see and do there it is definately worth an overnight, so I would forget that and concentrate on the Seattle area. Olympic Park is also too far for a day trip. Rethink your options.
Apr 20th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Victoria in a day is a rush--I've done it, but I would never do it again.

In any event, if you only have one day, the city is well equipped to serve you. If you checked www.cohoferry.com, you found special ferry sailings on Memorial Day weekend, and, in Victoria, city tours with Butchart Gardends (a must see) are available.

I am suggesting that you walk on to the ferry, leaving your car in Port Angeles.

Apr 20th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I've seen several different postings lately asking about itineraries for "day trips" from Seattle that would truly involve 8-12 hours round trip driving times. I can't help but wonder if people are from New England (for instance) where states are smaller.

It's BIG out here in the Pacific Northwest
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:45 AM

I also wonder why they haven't checked out driving distances on Maps at Yahoo, Google, or some other source.
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:54 AM

They're waiting for someone else to do it for them.
Like Utahtea.
Apr 21st, 2005, 06:59 AM

I second the ideas of Crescent Lake, Marymere, and Hurricane Ridge (all within reasonable distance of each other). They were very nice. Save yourself the distance/time of going to Hoh. It took us a week+ last year to see what you are thinking of doing in 3 days, and still we really didn't have near the time to devote to/appreciate the beautiful area.
Apr 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Based on the responses, we will change the itinerary. We will be in Seattle for three full days - Friday thru Sunday, with a flight in on Thursday, and a flight out on Monday. All of this is over the Memorial Day weekend.

On Friday, we plan to see the sites of Seattle. Saturday, we plan to take the Victoria Clipper for a day trip in Victoria. Sunday, we will see more of Seattle.

Should we take a drive north on Sunday, or will there be enough sites in Seattle to spend two days seeing? Also, will we need reservations for the Clipper?
Apr 26th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Sure, there is plenty to do in Seattle to fill 2 days site-seeing time. Just depends on your interests.
Apr 26th, 2005, 11:41 AM

First, my peet peeve needs releasing, no offense - "site" as in World Trade Center, "sight" as in views of mountains or Space Needles.

Memorial Day weekend is also the time for the Folk Life Festival at Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP, etc.) so traffic and crowds around that part of town can be icky. OTOH if you're into music and the performing arts, global style, the festival can be a lot of fun - runs all weekend.

You can make optimum use of your time in Victoria by looking into flying on a (scheduled) floatplane from Lake Union in central Seattle (45 min.) rather than bumping along for 3+ hours each way in the Clipper. If you're not going to the Olympic Peninsula, you won't be spending ferry dollars on that part of the trip, therefore the cost differential between the Clipper and the plane may be extinguished in part. See www.kenmoreair.com (and BTW the scenery from the plane knocks your socks off compared to the Clipper.) Both tie up in the Inner Harbour in Victoria more or less next to each other.

On Sunday you might think about Mt. Rainier (2 hrs each way) for a ferry-less itinerary. On the other hand, if you want to make a long day of it on Sunday, you could ferry over to the Olympic Peninsula, see Hurricane Ridge (Hoh would be a long stretch) and then see if the lavender fields are in bloom around Sequim. It's an early spring this year, so they might well be in their glory by Memorial Day. It's not Provence, but it's not bad.

Ferries back into town on Sunday shouldn't be that serious an issue on Memorial Day weekend, it will be Monday that's nasty, but by then you will be far away.
Apr 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

So sorry Gardyloo, as I am employed in an architectural office it is a mistake I often make.
Apr 26th, 2005, 04:47 PM

Suze, dear, please don't be obsequious to pedantry. If you write cite, site, of sight, the rest of us will grasp your meaning and we won't browbeat you.