Search

3 Day Los Angeles Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Day Los Angeles Trip

Good Evening

My wife and I are headed out to LA (Beverly Hills to be exact) for a 3 day splurge on December 8. We have one preplanned event on the evening of the 10th but the rest of the time is open. Any suggestions for things to do, places to see or eat would be very much appreciated. Are there any seasonal or holiday events worth noting? Probably use the hop on hop off but there must be more nearby that experienced LA travelers know and we hope will share. Are there any other tours worth taking? I could get a car if necessary but my only other LA driving experience was mostly being stuck in traffic so I'm not eager

We appreciate whatever thoughts Forum Pro's might have!

Brian
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM

We always enjoy visitng the Getty Center or the Getty Villa.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Weekend car rates start at noon Thursday and are cheap, even with the hotel parking charge a car would probably work out about the same as round-trip taxi service from LAX airport to Beverly Hills. You could drive out to the Getty Villa, cruise Malibu/PCH, maybe head to the Griffith Observatory on Friday night? Sat and Sun traffic won't be too bad if you stay away from shopping centers, heavy traffic nightmares would depend probably on your arrival time on Thursday. 4pm to 8pm would be a mess driving from the airport area.
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 08:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you staying?

Have you checked Starline's four different hop-on/off routes to see if you can get where you want to go?

http://www.starlinetours.com/los-angeles-tour-1H1.asp
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 09:36 PM

If you go to Malibu, the Charthouse there has a great oceanside setting and good food. A bit pricey, but not overly so.

Do you have a hotel in Beverly Hills? Are you staying three nights?

A car is, unfortunately, the best way to get around in LA.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Good Morning

Thanks so much to the early responders!!

Had not considered Getty so now I will. We are staying at the Beverly Hills Hotel on Wilshire (I told you it was a splurge!!) because the event we are attedning on the 10th is being held there. Makes it a whole lot easier. Sounds like a car might be a good thing to have. Haven't been on the PCH in years and this might be a good time to do it again. I will explore options.

Thanks to all and I look forward to more input.

Brian
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 05:41 AM

Craft, a restaurant in Century City, about a 10 min drive (or less!) from your hotel is a wonderful place to splurge on a magnificent dinner!

Another place that we love, if the weather is nice, is the Inn of the Seventh Ray in Topanga. If you are free during the day and can drive there for lunch in off peak traffic hours, the traffic is not too bad and the setting is absolutely magnificent! (Would only be ~30 minute--maybe 45-- drive, give or take, depending on traffic, but you will feel as if you have gone to an alternate universe!) When we would go there, we would take the PCH to Topanga Canyon Rd (goes up at Malibu) and the scenery driving up the canyon is like being in an old Lone Ranger or Cisco Kid western, and yet you have barely left the cars of LA!

http://www.craftrestaurantsinc.com/craft-los-angeles/

http://innoftheseventhray.com/
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Suggest you call ahead at the Getty to get a parking reservation. I think you pay for parking but not for the Getty itself. Also recommend you go early - and we really enjoyed the docent tour that explained how the marble/stone was brought over from Italy, how the grounds were designed, et.

And around LA - driving out Sunset is fun and driving up through Bel Air, through UCLA campus, out to the Beach, up hiway 1/Coast hiway to/through Maliby, just walking around Hollywood, and Rodeo Drive, and on and on.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM

The Beverly Hills Conference & Visitors Bureau lists suggested activities for the month of December. It was referenced in an earlier response but was deleted as someone commented that it was most likely advertising. I would think that visitor bureau websites would be permitted to be identified as sources of information. The link is:

http://www.lovebeverlyhills.com/sparkle
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM

The Beverly Hills Hotel is not on Wilshire; it's on Sunset and not within walking distance of Beverly Hills's Golden Triangle area. If that's where you're staying, you'll be marooned without a car.

Do you mean the Four Seasons Beverly Wilshire Hotel (that was in the movie "Pretty Woman")?

I would figure out exactly what you want to see/do while you're here. It might actually make more $en$e to use taxis if you're only making a couple of drives away from Beverly Hills. Overnight parking at the FS Beverly Wilshire (assuming that's where you're staying) is $40, and the valet service is slooooww. The FS Beverly Wilshire also has a house car service available to guests, but I don't know what the cost is. You might look into that.

There's a Wolfgang Puck restaurant ("Cut") in the FS Beverly Wilshire Hotel, and his famous "Spago" restaurant is a couple of blocks away.

I wouldn't go to the Getty Center if it's raining.
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi all

Your're correct Jean. I don't knowe my Beverly Hills Hotels very well (yet!). We are staying at the Beverly Hilton on Wilshire.

Keep those suggestions coming

Brian
Old Nov 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM

Now, the Beverly Hilton is yet another hotel. Its address is Wilshire Boulevard, but the main entrance is on the opposite side from Wilshire. It's just outside of the Golden Triangle but within walking distance. The overnight parking charge is probably less than $40 but not by much.

The pickup/dropoff location for the Starline hop on/off bus heading for Hollywood is on the opposite side of Beverly Hills and for some would be too far to walk from the Hilton. The Starline bus heading to Santa Monica and Westwood stops at the Beverly Hilton. The Hilton is a good location if using public buses heading east or west on Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards.

http://www.metro.net/

Beverly Hills also operates a tour of the city, but I don't know exactly where it goes.

http://www.beverlyhills.org/attractions/trolley.asp