Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

25th anniversary - what area to pick for San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a 25th anniversary vacation, and don't know where to stay in San Francisco. My husband and I will be using certificates from our MasterCard that limits us to Ritz Carlton, Hyatt, and Marriott. I know these hotels are in San Francisco, but don't know much about the locations. We do love great meals, not so big on art, some shopping, seeing the Golden Gate Bridge. I haven't decided what to do while we are there yet, I'm just trying to find out which area would be good. Thanks for your help!
Old May 20th, 2007, 02:54 PM

Go to Mammas for breakfast. It is in North Beach and has amazing food. The line is out the door but well worth it.
Old May 20th, 2007, 05:50 PM

if the certificates are all the same, definitely pick the Ritz Carlton. That is the nicest of the 3 and they will do something special for your anniversary. Congratulations on 25 years!
Old May 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

I guess what I need to know, is should we stay in the Union Square area, Fisherman's Wharf, Nob Hill area, etc? I don't know anything about San Francisco, but plan to pick up a couple of guidebooks.
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:54 PM

We've enjoyed several stays at the Grand Hyatt Union Square. A room on a high floor or Regency level has great views and it's close to everything. This year stayed on Nob Hill at the Mark Hopkins which was nice, but a long walk from things.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:46 AM

Dear jabrown40,

Since this is a special anniversary, pick the Ritz. The Ritz IS on top of a fairly steep hill, but it's no problem walking down and then taking various buses, cable cars, etc. back up. The location is central enough to position you for all the usual tourist spots, but not so congested. If it wasn't an anniversary trip the Marriot would be perfectly o.k.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM

I have stayed in Fisherman's warf and in Union Square. I did not listen to advice to stay in Union Square...and should have the first time. It is a much better location - and you can still go down to the warf.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:32 PM
mjs

I have stayed at all three and would reccomend the Ritz. The Marriott is ok as are both Hyatt's. The new Marriott that used to be the Pan Pacific may also be good but the Ritz is better. Have stayed at the Ritz twice in the last 6 months and it is now my favorite in SF.
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:09 PM

Stay at the Ritz and be sure to have tea in their parlor. Also be sure to visit the Ferry Plaza for a great local food market and then take a ferry ride across the bay to Tiburon for dinner on the water.