Search

23 days in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Joe

23 days in Hawaii

My wife and I are going to the islands for 23 days in July/August. (25th wedding anniversary). We are spending 3 nights at the Marriott Ihilani resort in Ko Olinaon Oahu, followed by 7 nights in Maui at the Renessaince Wialea, 7 nights at a condo in Poipu on Kauai, followed up by 5 nights on the Big Island at a guesthouse in the Kona area.
I have bought all the "ultimate" books as well as a few others. We like the beach, (not for days on end), easy hikes or walks, shops and the likes, will try different activites. I've read the books and begun booking some activites. What "special experiences" have people had on any of these islands that would be worth considereing?

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:28 AM
JKNYer

We spent only 2 weeks and our favorites included: oahu - obviously pearl harbor (my only reason for going to Oahu)
Apart from the obvious things, here are some great experiences we had:
Maui - the "drive to Hana" was a great trip for us - an all day event and alot of fun - we started from the Kanaapali area. We stopped frequently to take short hikes off the road following one of the detailed guide books. Also on Maui- we took a snorkel boat trip to Molokini for a half-day which we enjoyed immensly - great snorkelling.
On Kuai-followed a number of the "ultimate guide" hikes to some very secluded and Wonderful places with huge waterfalls - didn't jump off any.
We also did another boat trip from south shore Kuai run by "Napali Explorers", don't know if they still operate but it was a small boat and we met up with some dolphins to swim with on the way to the northwest Napali Coastline.
Let me know if I can somehow help more.
JK

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Marsha

Joe: We recently returned from Kauai. We did not go on any organized tours. However, you should drive up to the North Shore (allow one day to go all the way to Ke'e Beach (incredibly gorgeous) and then stop in Hanalei, the Lighthouse and Guava plantation on the way back. Also plan a day to drive to Waimea Canyon and Kokee State Park. You may want to drive to the end of Poipu Road and see the beautiful Maleupu (spelling?) beach. We like to hike around the point and spend the day at Gillin's Beach. Stop at the fish store in Koloa and pick up some poke or some fish for supper!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 08:55 AM
xxxx

I vote to step out of the car and do some hiking. There is hiking for all different skill levels so you don't have to option for strenuous. I think you are really missing the island if you just drive to destinations every day. I would get a convertible for the road to hana.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Lori

I would highly recommend doing the Road to Hana on Maui, but go past Hana. When you get to the “7 Pools”, when everyone is hiking to the lower pools, follow the trail to the upper pools. Its approximatey a 2.2 mile hike, and the scenery along this hike is unbelievable. You’ll hike through a dense bamboo forest (which is actually quite spooky) and come upon beautiful waterfalls. The trail ends at the top where you are greated to the majestic beauty of a 400 ft tall waterfall (I believe which is called Waimoku Falls). It will most likely rain, so be prepared, but it’s a warm rain that is very refreshing. My husband and I swam at the base of that waterfall and have great pictures. It’s a fabulous hike, and not many people do it.

I would also highly recommend doing sunrise at Haleakala, but after the sunrise, hike down into the volcano for a ways. We spent about 3 hours hiking down in and back out (round “trip”, shall we say) and the views were beautiful.

Maui was our favorite island. We were not impressed with the Big Island, unfortunately.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Joe

Thanks for the responses. The "road to Hana" on Maui is a definite. Is biking down Haleakala worth it? Am I better off driving up and hiking around then drive back down. Has anyone used Triology for snorkeling adventures. What about inter-island travel, is it time consuming? We are planning to travel with just carry-on luggage. (I'm still trying to convine my wife)

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 04:12 PM
paul

Joe,
We just got back from 5 days on Maui at the Renaissance and if you want some beach action I would recommend that you go down to Big Beach. It is only about 12-15 minutes just down the road from the hotel past the Maui Prince. It is a very long and wide beach with a gentle surf and perfect sand. The beach in front of your hotel is also really pretty nice although I would probably recommend you hit it in the morning or evening as the trade winds are pretty pronounced in the afternoon. Also, the walkway that runs between the Renaissance and Kea Lani makes for a nice early evening stroll while you watch the sunset. We probably only walked as far as the Grand Wailea as it is pretty far but we visited all of the Wailea hotels either on foot or in the car and spread our money around between them all. Also, if you are looking for something different, the Maui Ocean Center about 15 minutes north of Wailea is a pretty new and well done aquarium with lots of rays and sharks as well as nice displays of tropical fish. It can be a nice respite from the heat for a couple of hours or on your way up to Lahaina. Enjoy.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Hope

The Slack Key Guitar Festival will probably be going on while you are in Hawaii. Also, the Aloha Festival. They are both fabulous events and are free. They take place on Oahu, but there may be smaller events on the other Islands.

As far as beaches on Oahu, check out Waimea Bay (less crowded than many beaches and nice sand) and Makapuu (good body surfing, but lots of kelp

Have a great trip!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:20 AM
bettyk

On Maui, we always like to use Maui Dive Shop for snorkeling/scuba. They use faster, smaller boats and there are fewer people than on some of the big party boats. We also enjoyed visiting Maui Ocean Center. A great way to see lots of sea critters up close, especially those that are rare or elusive. Right next to the MOC is Buzz's Wharf at Ma'alaea Habor. Good food in a relaxed atmosphere. Should definitely eat at Mama's Fish House in Paia. It is fabulous for lunch or dinner and the funky little town of Paia is cool too. We also enjoyed lunch at Jameson's Grill & Bar at the Kapalua Bay Golf Course - great views.

On the Big Island, you must try Merriman's Restaurant in Waimea near the Parker Ranch. The Koa House Grill in Waimea is also good. In Kona, try dinner on the terrace at Jameson's by the Sea, especially nice at sunset.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:23 AM
xxx

I have breathing problems on the top of Haleakula. Do you really think getting up a 4 will balance the thrill of biking down the mountain. That mountain is winding I would think you would get nauseaus.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:20 PM
GG

Joe, just did a Molokini trip with Trilogy and it was just fine. The water at the crater is incredibly clear.

As for inter-island travel, GIVE YOURSELVES PLENTY OF TIME [3+ hrs] BEFORE YOUR FLIGHT [esp. if you have to catch a connecting flight]. Maui is a small airport with LOTS of people and is poorly marked. Your idea about travelling only with carry-ons sounds great if you can just go straight to your gate (and sill save time).

I must agree with Lori that the BI is not very impressive -- we found the prettiest areas on the BI were far north and northeast.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Postal

I spent three years in Hawaii, as well as several shorter vacations afterward, and two of my fondest memories remain hiking up to the top of Diamond Head and watching a former Miss Hawaii dance the hula at the Halekulani's House Without a Key on the water at Waikiki Beach. It's sunset, the waves are rolling in with the surfers catching their final ride, the top of Diamond Head is golden, the Mai Tais and pupus are spectacular, and the sense of relief is incredible. Heck, I got relaxed just writing about it!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Lois

We just got back from our Hawaii trip on Oahu and Maui. We loved the Ihilani. Initially we were given a room with no view, and when I called the front desk and spoke with them, they upgraded us to an amazing suite, with a sunrise view lanai and a sunset view lanai! It was incredible. While there, I highly recommend Azul. It was our best meal on the island. Our meal at Nick's Fishmarket was good, and the service was excellent, but Azul had very good service and excellent food. Wish we hadn't saved it for our last night. Swimming at Ihilani is great. The lagoon is bigger and deaper than I expected it to be. I don't think I appreciated it enough till we left.
The southern loop of the island is a nice trip. There are some great beaches to explore, and we found a great place for a plate lunch for only $5, including a large drink. It was just past Waimanalo Beach, if you're heading counterclockwise. There is a 7-11 on the right side of the road, and across the side street is the 'plate lunch' place, a white with blue trim bldg. I'd recommend taking it back to the beach and enjoy the view.
Also, on Oahu, the north shore beaches, while there are no big waves in summer, are still beautiful and worth a drive. I don't know if you'll have time for both with only three days on the island. I'm assuming you'll also want to see Pearl Harbor.
On Maui, we stayed at the Marriott Kaanapali, which I knew was a mistake[from this site] before we even got there. We checked out the Renaissance before leaving for the airport our last night there, and loved it and that area of the island. That is the only area I'd stay in when we go back.
Personally, I'd do Haleakala during the day and forget the sunrise experience, since you end up losing so much rest one night, and then possibly end up losing a day out of it. WE noticed a lot of different options of hikes and bike rides, other than the sunrise one.
We only did half the road to Hana [a regret of mine] and enjoyed it. WE explored the road west of Kaanapali, as far as the beach with a barracaded entrance. We left the car and walked down to a picturesque beach with no one else around.
Enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 10:30 AM
mbln74a

Hi Joe, congratulations on 25 years of wedded bliss.
I do wish you had cut down on the time in Kauai & given more time to the Big Island, as the Big Island is so varied & you really need a week there to see & do the things, as well as relax & swim & snorkel, etc. REgardless, I hope you will spend time at the Volcanoes in the evening when you can see the lava flows.
Since you will be in Kona, you should book the FairWind snorkel cruise out of Keauhou..best anchorage in Kealakekua Bay, great cruise.
I have a driving tour of the BI (lived there) if you'd like it. Email me at the above email address & I'll send it off to you. Many have used it.
Check out this hike: http://www.hawaii-forest.com/waterfall.html
That is a hike I'd love to do, but it was not available in 1997 when I left. Plus the drive there is fabulous.
Definitely the most surreal experience I had on the islands was watching the lava flow into the ocean at the Hawaii Volcanoes Nat'l Park...don't miss it.
Aloha, Linda

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Joe

Thanks to everyone who has responded. We made reservations for the Old Lahinian Luau(Maui). On Oahu, is the Polynesian Cultural Center worth it? We have booked a helicopter tour on Kauai, this is to see the Na'pali coast. My wife and I have also booked a private fishing charter in Kona. Has anyone else tryed fishing on The BI? We have a reservation for a 4wd on Kauai. Will we need it?

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:56 AM
Sarah

Joe I would skip the Polynesian Cultural center and go to Iolani Palace and the Bishop Museum or Waimea falls Park (if you care about learning about who the Hawaiians were).
Remember to check out go-hawaii for calendar events. The made in Hawaii festival at the Blaisdel is a great one stop shop for souvenirs. Since I see you are coming from the east coast and if you are interested in exploring other cultures, I highly recommend at least one trip to an Obon Dance and on Oahu in August. Japanese ritual dance meant to celebrate and or visit with past loved ones. Oh and while I am on the subject if you have not seen already rent, "The Picture Bride". This is an excellent introduction into some the immigrations and cultures of 1900's in Hawaii.

4WD on Kauai is helpful for some hiking trails. There are also some lookouts only accessible by 4WD. Don’t ask me where I was told this by Kokee state Park. I know Pihea trail leading into Alakai swamp needs a 4WD to cut off 3-4 miles of walking. There is a 4WD road leading from Waimea up into the canyon area. So you should know something about hiking to understand how you would benefit from a 4WD. I can't imagine skipping the Alakai swamp, but too each his own. Seems like many don't care about hiking and enjoy driving in other areas just the same. Something else when you do the trails that require the 4WD you are pulled away from crowds. I really like the freedom of a 4WD but the island is certainly accessible without.

PS NO WAY WOULD I CUT DOWN TIME ON KAUAI. If anything drop Maui and Oahu. All the islands are special in there own way but in my opinion Kauai and the Big Island are the most beautiful. Kauai's north shore and waimea canyon taking the lead. Big Island certainly needs 1-2 weeks but not at the expense of Kauai. I think you will agree once you see. I would also stay on the N.S in July or August.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT MISS OUT ON THE VOLCANO AT NIGHT WORTH MORE THAN ONE TRIP. Consider a drive up into the Waipio Valley for those wild horses.

Finally Joe I would buy "The concise history of the Hawaiian Islands" by Doctor Phil Barnes. I have gone to the islands as tourist with no background and I have gone with a stronger historical background and as you would expect the later was a far far more meaningful a visit. A bit of reading and you will be identifying sights by on sight rather than what a map or guide is telling you. Also because so much of Hawaii dates back 1000 years having some kind of an understanding helps put everything into context.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:45 AM
joe

Sarah,
I ordered the book from amazon.com, I should get it in time before we leave next tuesday July 16. Thanks for your other suggestions. Is it possible to e-mail your driving map for the BI?
Mahalo
joe

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 11:43 AM
Sarah

I am usually driven by companions on Big Island so I don't have that map.

for Kauai
Joe Go to Kokee National Park website. They have a great map and a list of all the trails I would print this in color on legal size paper and plan out your trails accordingly. This year I am also using Kathy Morey's hiking guide for Kauai. It was just updated this year. Gives you a run down in a bit more detail.
Go to this website and look up pictures that independent travlers took on stay. I like to look up hikes and see what they look like. This is a link I found from another post so it takes you straight away to a Mauai vacation another poster here took. You want to do the search for Kauai.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/39427567/39427751JPmHUT
I like to find my way into amatuer shots avoid the commercial photography. Less opportunities for enhancing.

http://community.webshots.com/

hard to search this sight but I would try to find shots of Alakai Swamp and Awa'awapuhi Trail, You know to do the hike to Hankapape beach at the foot of kekee (sp) beach, yes?

We did another one close to Lihue that was great also. I will come on later and tell you. I would also do the Canyon trail and the visitor center at kokee is doing free hikes on this trail Aug possibly July also. Free and a worth while hike by the looks of the grounds at the Lighthouse but if you miss as we did last year the standard observatory is nice also. Just book ahead for free tours anywhere on these islands.

Did not want to mention this before but "the Shoal of time" is one the standards of Hawaiian history. I find it very dry and a bit verbose in places but it also has incredible tidbits on Hawaiian History. One of my favorite books is "The Hawaii Story" by Liloukilani. Again the writing is not the best but you are hearing Hawaiian history from the hand of the last monarch. I think this is pretty incredible. This will certainly grip you if you do the tour of Iolani Palace which I can't imagine anyone missing. I also read in Liloukilani's account about seeing the volcano at night. She also calls waikiki "the healing place". I find this comical as so many over worked head for job related illness.

Joe your revealed BI guide should give you the details about the Waipio Valley. BTW I have a friend who grew up there she said and I don't remember what road she was on but she said in her teens that she would jog a long a road that over looked the ocean and she would see turtles the size of voltzwagon's. Childhood embellishment or the real thing, let us know!

Do a Big Island search here. I remember many BI fans last year. People that returned regularly or visit from a neighbor island year round residency. Trouble is seems like so few people are traveling now. So the tips are kind of slim pickens.

A HUI HO

PS Listen to the shave ice suggestions on Kauai ultimate guide. JoJo's in Waimea and the blue trailer in Hanalei YUM!. Does not seem important now but oh so great when you are on your way in Kauai.

PBS did a video they sell online for $19.99 about the downfall of Liloukilani. It was part of the American Experience films and aired nationally. If you want some quick historical info but not much time for reading. PBS.org.

NOW BACK TO WORK FOR ME

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:03 PM
sss

just saw you are leaving 7/16 sorry for all the other hints that short book should do just fine.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 12:08 PM
sss

You could probably find a road map of the big island online. One you can view not the standard road map. These are good items to

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -