Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

21st Birthday - First time in NYC - Restaurants?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:38 AM
JM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 23 year old son is taking his girlfriend on her first trip to New York for a long weekend to celebrate her 21st birthday.
He's looking for a restaurant for dinner on Friday after the Planetarium, a very cool place to take her after midnight on Saturday (when she offically turns 21) for a drink, and is looking for a special and cool restaurant for her Birthday dinner on Saturday or Sunday. The only reservation he has made so far is brunch at Balthazar on Sunday.

He doesn't have an unlimited budget, but he knows that the drinks will be pricey, and is would probably be able to swing $150-$200 for the birthday dinner, and 'kind' prices for the other nights.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions for a quick breakfast place near their hotel - they are staying at the Sofitel at 44th & 6th.

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 03:57 AM

If she is a fan of "Sex and the City" here are two fun restaurants/bars with good food and drinks which were featured in the series:

Tao
42 East 58th Street
(Between Park and Madison)
Tel: 212-888-2288.
www.taorestaurant.com

Fusion Asian food and good music, great ambience with the giant Buddha overseeing all. Try all their different martinis.

Asia de Cuba
237 Madison Avenue (between 37th and 38th St)
tel: 212-7267755

Fusion Asian and Cuban (sounds weird but isn't). They have large portions, so a few appetizers and a few entrees shared by all will be plenty of food. Deserts are enormous.

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Friday after the Planetarium if they want to stay in that neighborhood, Ouest for American (ouestny.com) or Jean Luc for French (jeanlucrestaurant.com), both in walking of the museum.
Either will be about $100 for 2. Slightly cheaper neighborhood options would be Isabellas or Nice Matin. Or, depending on when this is (open through Oct), the Boat Basin Cafe (very inexpensive, casual but fun) right on the Hudson River at 79th st,

But right down the block from their hotel (maybe 2 doors away) is DB Bistro Moderne owned by famed chef Daniel Boulud. It's famous for the fois gras hamburger ($29 but supposedly worth it)

For the drink, I might pick something with a view like the Rainbow Room (only open some weekends) or the Pen Top bar at the Peninsula hotel,but they may be too corny. Oh, here's a thought, the roof top bar at the new Gansevoort Hotel in the meatpacking district. Very trendy.

The Red Flame coffee shop is right on the same block as the hotel for breakfast.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 06:44 AM
mp

A very fun place, with pretty good food has opened just down the block from the AMNH - Jacques-Imo's. They're related to the branch in New Orleans - and the gumbo is almost as good. Very lively, young atmosphere. For a total, 180 degree change, he might take her downtown for drinks to the Rise Bar at the Battery Park Ritz Carlton. Spectacular views of the NY Harbor & Statue of Liberty, pricy but wonderful drinks and appetizers - a real "grown up" place that actually has very friendly waitstaff - and a lovely (if windy) terrace. Nice casual clothes are fine.
Cool right now is the meatpacking district - try Vento, 5 Ninth or Spice Market. But cool means attitude and bucks and waits . . . Might also try the bar at the Maritime hotel in the meatpacking district - tres hip. The suggestions of Tao and asia de cuba in midtown are good.
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I haven't been in years and Ihave no idea how much it costs, but the Tavern On the Green is all atmosphere. If I recall, the food was so so, but the chandeliers are all crystal and all over the place. You may be able to go just for a drink and take in the scenerey and then a carriage ride in central park!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 07:30 AM

I second Tao - it is the most fun restaurant I've ever been to in NYC and I've been living here for a fwe years (I'm 25, so I would probably be looking for the same sort of atmosphere as your son.)

The food is out of this world and it is really unique.