21st Birthday 07/04 in NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 21st birthday is July 4th this year, and my boyfriends is the 5th. I'm going out to visit him in NYC (he's lived there for three years) for about a week and a half to celebrate. I've been to the city several times and have done all of the touristy stuff as well as been to most of the museums (although I realize ever changing). I'm a BIG theatre buff and always see a couple shows when I go out there. We're thinking Avenue Q and perhaps Chitty Chitty Bang Bang this time around (we both love the movie). I've also seen that the New Amsterdamn Theatre does a tour of the facilities and the stage. Does anyone know anything about this? After looking at the website I was kind of confused, does it have to be a group of people or are we okay with 2?

Secondly, being our birthdays I'd love to be able to take him out somewhere where they're either going to make a big deal out of it, or better yet embarass him a bit (he does it to me all the time, even when it's not my birthday).

Finally, any other suggestions as to what we should do? I've heard about all the things that go on during the summer, open air concerts and what not, where can I look up information on this? Is there any other events going on from about June 30-July 10th?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:41 AM

I don't know about the New Amsterdam theater but I know they give tours at Lincoln Center and people have said here they're great.

If you haven't seen Wicked, that's another show to consider and you might try for the lottery at Spamalot.

Most any restaurant will bring out dessert with a candle for a birthday. If you haven't been to the River Cafe, that might be a nice place for a b'day splurge.

For concerts in Central Park, go to their website, centralparknyc.org

For other things going on, try the calendar at nycvisit.com
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 04:33 AM

For a fun dining experience to celebrate his birthday, try Chez Josephine. And, if he's there, the owner-maitre d' Jean-Claude will certainly assure of a celebration.
You say you've been to most of the museums, but probably not the recently reopened and expanded Museum of Modern Art. It's definitely worth a visit.
Avenue Q is a wise choice. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang opens tonight, so you'll have a better idea tomorrow as to whether it's worth seeing.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:16 AM
mp

There is always a great free concert during the day on July 4th downtown at Castle Clinton, near South Ferry - it's very fun to bring a blanket and spread out on the lawn. You might also check out the summerstage concerts in Central Park, - great rock and roll shows, poetry readings, etc - www.ticketmaster.com - althought the entire schedule isn't set yet . . .

Two great event sources are www.nymetro.com (NY Magazine's site) and Time Out's site -www.timeoutny.com
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for some of the ideas, I've seen Wicked and was actually in the city last January, so I have visited the MOMA as well. I really enjoyed the MOMA, although never having been to the original I really can't make a comparison.