Search

2 year anniversary northern cal

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 year anniversary northern cal

Hi,
It is my 2 year anniversary at the end of May and I am looking for a new vacation spot. We live in San Jose and usually go to Carmel for our vacations. (We LOVE Carmel but go there often). We were thinking about Point Reyes Station. There seem to be a lot of very cute b&b's, and beautiful surroundings. I think our perfect location would have a little town close by, walking would be perfect and near the ocean.

We would prefer to go somewhere within a 2 hour drive. Other spots we were considering:

Capitola/Aptos
Russian River area
Pacific Grove

We have a dog that we would want to bring so I know many placs will be eliminated. Big Sur - not too doggy friendly

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!!
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Take a look at Mendocino. One of the most romantic places I've ever seen. Been there 3 times and crave going back.I believe the MacCallum House is pet friendly and is very nice.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:10 PM

Mendocino is really lovely. We also really like Solvang. It not too near the ocean nor within 2 hours drive, but it's a cute town.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM

Solvang for a romantic anniversary vacation? Uggggh!! Please scratch that tacky tourist trap off your list.
Old May 14th, 2006, 02:07 AM

Try the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove.
Old May 14th, 2006, 06:55 AM
trippinkpj

I live in San Jose also x-travelbug. I'd pick Capitola or PG. I have friends to stay with in PG, so I'm lucky. I really like downtown PG, great shops and dining. Toasties for breakfast and Red House cafe for lunch.

Old May 14th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone,

I really want to visit Mendocino. I always hear how wonderful it is. Unfortunately since it is about 4 hours away, we may have to do it when we have a few nights.

I had never head of Solvang, the pictures look cute.
Old May 14th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts on Jenner?
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

O.K.,

I have convinced my husband that Mendocino will be worth the drive and the location is set. We are going to go during the week from Sunday-Wednesday which will hopefully make lodgings more affordable.?.

Any recommendations for Mendocino b&b, end of May that is doggy friendly?
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM

travelbug, I can just see you and your pooch walking along the headlands (on a leash, mind you) It seems evryone in Mendocino has a dog! Here's a list of pet friendly places:
http://www.mendocino.org/html/dogs.html
Of those, I can personally recommend MacCallum House in "The Barn". Also, Stanford Inn by the sea absolutely caters to pets and has a vegetarian restaurant, too! If you can afford Stanford, it's really awesome. It is a short walk across the highway to the actual village, where the Mac house sits right in the middle of town. Since you're not going on a weekend, check for deals on luxurylink.com. Pay attention to the dates that the deals are available. We got 3 nights at the MacCallum house with breakfast and one free dinner for less than 150/day on that site. They also run Internet specials from their site. I'm glad you chose my fav town in CA. If you do the drive up 128 through Anderson Valley, that's a destination in itself! Great little wineries, Libby's restaurant, redwoods, vineyards, orchards...really beautiful!
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you LLindaC!
I think I may be sold on the McCallum House. Since we are staying mid week, they offer 60% off the second night stay which means we can upgrade. I am very excited about that. Why do you recommend the barn over other rooms?

Also, that dog site is wonderful, exactly what I needed!
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Why the barn? Hmmm I thought that was the dog friendly spot, maybe there are others, but I think the house may be too cramped for your pooch. We stayed in roon 17 in the barn, the Barn Studio, I think on the first level with our own hot tub and small sauna room. It was GREAT! The barn is right next to the main house, separated only by a lovely landscaped yard.Travelbug, email me at this screen name at aol dot com and I'll send you my pictures of our room. It was very romantic, I think you'd be very happy there! What kind of doggie do you have? Another favorite room of mine is the Cove Cottage at Alegria. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have a pet there, but you'd have to ask. It's probably booked by now anyway. Again, the magic of Mendocino is worth any drive. I have changed my will to have my ashes scattered from the cliffs at the Headlands. You'll understand that once you've been there. Also, take a drive north of Ft Bragg and visit the Pacific Star Winery. They have lots of creatures, I'm sure your dog will be welcome. It's the most awesome winery in America!
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll e-mail you.
My pooch is an Aussie/cattledog/dingo Mutt, only 9 months old.
The fact that you changed your will is an amazing testimony for Mendicino. I can't wait to see it!
I'll check out Cove Cottage at Alegria too.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Here's a vote for Point Reyes. Great hiking, picnicking and animal watching....whales, seals, elephant seals...and one of the best meals I have EVER eaten was local oysters at The Station House in Point Reyes Station.
Have a romantic trip whatever you decide.