Search

2 weeks on the BI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 weeks on the BI

We're going to the BI for 2 weeks. I'm looking for suggestions as to how many days to spend on the Kona coast and how many on the Hilo/VNP side. Any ideas are appreciated.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:18 AM

Roxy just wrote a great report on her trip to the BI. Do a search using "turn it on" and it will come up. There is dirth of information on the BI here. Do a search and have fun reading!
-Bill
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM

The weather will be much better (less rain) on the Kona coast, so I would suggest only spending a few nights on the Hilo side, depending mainly on how many days you want to visit VNP and the southeast coast.
Also, the hotel choices on the Hilo coast aren't as nice as on the Kona coast.
I would highly recommend the Mauna Lani, in the Kohala area.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Hi Erica

We just got back from BI yesterday and spent 9 nights on the Kohala coast and 1 night in Hilo. We loved it but felt like we needed 1 or 2 more nights in Hilo/Volcano village to see all of the sights but it rained 50% of the time we were in Hilo and there was no rain on the Kohala area during our stay....
we're longing to go back asap...have a great time!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Highflyer is right on the money (IMHO). I'd suggest 10 days Kona/Kohala Coast side and 3 days Hilo side.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:00 AM

Returned a week ago from second trip to BI. Agree with more time on Kona side. In the Kohala area (above Waikoloa)there is just the resort you choose, surrounded by lots and lots of volcanic rocks--a beautiful, peaceful, even isolated feel. Kailua-Kona has more of a seaside tourist town feel with shopping, etc. I love the Keauhou area, just south of Kona, and the area south of there, eg Captain Cook, Place of Refuge, etc.
First trip there we spent three days in Keauhou, two in Volcano, and three at hotel in Waikoloa resort. Over a two week trip, I would recommend maybe three different sites/regional experiences as well.
I love the Hilo side for tis tropical lushness and beauty and waterfalls and the charm of "old Hawaii" in Hilo town.
What is your price range for accomodations? That of course will also help determine where and how long you want to stay.
We stayed at Kanaloa at Kona and had a HUGE 2 bedroom condo for $156/night.
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I just replied to your other post (click on your screenname to see all your posts listed on the left). My Big Island trip report is at: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34542623

Let me know if you have questions!

love
roxy