Reload this Page >

2 Questions About Lake Placid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:56 PM
donna

We are going to Lake Placid in July for an extra long weekend (4 days).Since we don't have a lot of money to spend, we booked the Lake Placid Resort.

Question 1: Has anyone stayed there? Will we be disappointed? e booked a room with a jacuzzi and a fireplace but it is still under $200.

Question 2:What should we do? My husband has golf booked but other than that, I am having a hard time finding websites and activities.

Thanks in advance!
BTW, my searches for Lake Placid on this site keep timing out so I haven't been able to search here.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 06:51 PM
Jim

If you're planning outdoor activities, you'll have a nice time. The area is extremely picturesque.
I find the city of LP touristy and uninteresting, but the city is not the draw for the area, it's the scenery.
We stay at the Lake Placid Lodge, which is great, but I'm not familiar with the LP Resort.

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 03:32 AM
donna

I have a feeling it may have changed names or owners lately. the website is: http://www.lpresort.com/.

Anyone know it?

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 04:45 PM
sml

Lake Placid Resort is the Lake Placid Lodge. It is above the village, overlooking Mirror Lake. It was owned at one time by the Holiday Inn. A beautiful view. Next to the '32 Olympic Center. Plenty to do in Lake Placid...ride up on a lift to the ski jumps, take a bobsled ride, ice skate indoors, take a daytrip train ride to Saranac Lake, hike to a waterfall near the Adirondack Loj, rent a boat on Lake Flower and travel through the locks, golf til you drop (5 courses), drive up Whiteface Mt. road for an awesome view, rent a mountain bike and go down Whiteface Mt., visit the Olympic training center and museum, swim in Mirror Lake from the Resort's own beach, have lunch and drink at the Resort own restaurant on the water, hike around John Brown's cabin, etc. These are just a few ideas. You don't need a pile of money to have a good time. Hiking and walking is plentiful and cheap. A tip, take the road next to the ski jumps and drive to the top and get the view from the jumps free! If your husband is going to the Whiteface Inn Golf, don't. Problems with their care of greens this spring. Craig Hole or Lake Placid Resort courses are better this year. We go there every weekend;we are never bored! Enjoy.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 05:04 PM
Kevin

Be very careful about the above advice.
I think that's wrong.

I just checked the listings of lodgings in Lake Placid and found a Lake Placid Resort owned by Hilton, a Lake Placid Resort by Holiday Inn, and the Lake Placid Lodge which is a much more expensive Relais and Chateaux property.
The cost and quality of the 3 places is very different.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 09:09 AM
donna

Thanks Kevin!
The Lake Placid Resort I am referring to is not the Hilton and definitely not the Lake Placid Lodge! I believe it is the Holdiay Inn but it is the one with 3 golf courses (one of them a 9-hole). We are trying to figure out is the accommodations will be adequate and if the 2 18-hole courses are decent.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:38 PM
Barry Raison

The Lake Placid Resort is a Holiday Inn. It's fine. The two golf courses are very good, especially the links course. (It's where Bill Clinton golfed last year when they vacationed in Lake Placid). The municipally owned course, called Craig Wood, after a famous golfer from Lake Placid, is terrific and it's great value. I go to Lake Placid a time or two every year and, contrary to what an earlier poster said, it is not touristy at all. That's because it's in the Adirondack Park and development is restricted. Yet there are several good restaurants: Mirror Lake Inn, Natali's Over Main, Lake Placid Brewing Company -- all right along the Main Street. Several very nice shops as well. You'll love it.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 02:41 PM
Barry

Sorry, it's Nicola's Over Main, not Natali's.