2 days in Yellowstone

May 18th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

2 days in Yellowstone

We will be staying in the Tetons for a week and plan to take 2 days to see Yellowstone. We currently have a reservation at the Yellowstone Lake Hotel. Can someone recommend an itinerary starting and ending at the South entrance, with one night at the Lake? We could pursue other lodging but will have to find a cancellation to make that happen (we are going in June and waited a little long to firm our plans). Mom, Dad and 12 year old child - priorities are wildlife, Old Faithful, waterfalls, and a little hiking if we can squeeze that in (though we will have lots of that during our time in the Tetons). thanks!
May 18th, 2010, 11:30 AM

I would head straight for Old Faithful area. Old Faithful is nice, but if you can catch Riverside or Castle they are awesome. The park is able to predict about 8 geysers. Old Faithful they can predict within a 20 minute window. The problem with the other two is that you may have to wait on them a couple of hours. Head to Canyon area for waterfalls. You will see plenty of wildlife along the way. Take a Yellow Bus Tour if you can from Lake Hotel. Lake Butte Sunset is the name of good Yellow Bus Tour from Lake Hotel in late afternoon.
May 18th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Spirobulldog. Your feedback helped me with our itinerary to Alaska a few years ago and it turned out so great that my neighbors are taking the exact same vacation this summer!
May 18th, 2010, 12:08 PM

Visit the Hayden Valley, not too far from your hotel. We really enjoyed watching the wildlife there in the morning and evening. Bring binoculars for the best viewing.

One of our favorite hikes starts at Artist's Point at Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. Hike along the south rim to Uncle Tom's Trail. Beautiful views of the canyon and waterfall all along the way. Then take the Clear Lake Trail to the Lily Pond Trail and back to Artist's Point. On this stretch, you can walk right up to bubbling and steaming pots, and if lucky could see moose at the lily pond. The hike is 4 miles roundtrip and was liked by our children.

The Tetons are stunningly beautiful, but there is much more to do in Yellowstone. I would try to move some of my time from GTNP to YNP. Check back for reservation cancellations.
May 19th, 2010, 02:30 AM

I agree, if you can switch some time from Tetons to Yellowstone it would be better. Really you need 4 or 5 days in Yellowstone.

Here is a link to our pics. Mid-June 08. http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...D?source=pw980
May 19th, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow that looks like an amazing trip spirobulldog. I agree with all we need more time in Yellowstone! The more I read the more I realize that.
May 19th, 2010, 08:21 AM

That was 4 days in YS and 1.5 in the Tetons. If you have lodging in Tetons, it would still be good to take one or two days and just drive in Yellowstone. Driving isn't a bad thing, as this is how you see a lot of the Wildlife. For wildlife your best best are Lamar, Hayden, near Lake area, Tower and Canyon area's. Although, you might see animals anywhere. Buffalo are around Old Faithful and everywhere else. Elk area around Mammoth. Mammoth was my least favorite area. I would have a meal in Old Faithful Inn. The little General Store right next to OFI has a good breakfast or burger for lunch. We had planned several hikes, as we always hike in National Parks. We never got around to any of the hikes. I don't think I would hike there without bear spray. You might even want to consider a couple of the
ranger-led hikes as you would be with a group. I think you will like going in June!!! I would take any reservation you could get in Yellowstone. Even the cabins without a bath would be fine with me. We did Old Faithful Inn and our bath was down the hall.