2 days in Lafayette

Mar 17th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

2 days in Lafayette

All

I will be in Lafayette for 2 days and would like you recommendations for things to do - do far looks like a visit to Lara and Oak Lawn(?) plantations - Athchafalaya swamp tour.
Maybe the second day Vermilionville? Is that worth seeing.

We (husband and me)like to hike - but I am terrified of coming across snakes And I seem to read a lot about snakes in the bayou.

Also what is the international festival? Is it in April?

Thanks

Mar 17th, 2004, 11:17 AM
cd

Ummmmmmm guess you're not talking about Lafayette, Indiana
Mar 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Yes, the International Music Festival is in April--I think it's the last weekend. Laura and Oak Alley are the plantations you're asking about and they are beautiful--also close together. Vermillionville is very nice and worth seeing if you like outdoor museums. And, yes, if the weather is warm, you could run into snakes in the bayou--but on a swamp tour, that shouldn't be too much of a problem (check out Cajun Jack's in Pattersonville)
Mar 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MzPossum
cd I apologize, just saw the thread about people not providing complete information when requesting info.

The swamp tour sounds good. I am still finalizing the dates - might time it for the festival.
thanks again all
Mar 18th, 2004, 09:52 AM

Dear Indie
Don't forget, Avery Island is just south of Lafayette and is home to Tabasco hot sauce. This is a very nice tour as well and should have alot of flowers out. I have friends that used to live in Lafayette and they said Randoll's was alot of fun to eat and watch (or dance!)Cajun dancing
Apr 19th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Folks, I did finalize the dates I will be going this upcoming weekend - any recommendations for good dinner places. Open to all kinds of food - we love seafood.

Also we would like to go to Prejeans or Randalls - any votes for one over the other.

The Honey island swamp tour where - is that somewhere close near Lafayette? We will have a car.
Thanks
Apr 19th, 2004, 12:09 PM

Prejeans is very good. Try the fried alligator appetizer. I haven't been to Lafayette (Louisiana) in 5 or 6 years, but I remember there was also a popular restaurant south (?) of Lafayette called Mulatte's.
Apr 19th, 2004, 12:14 PM

Honey Island is nearer New Orleans than Lafayette. Not close enough to drive in your time frame. I like Black's in Abbeville to eat. Mulatte's is a crazy place- sort of canned cajun but fun. Lots of "cajun" food, music & stuff that tourists expect & want. You can have a fun time trying to dance to cajun music or watch others.

Vermillionville is a good place to get some history of the area & its people.

Have fun & dress for the heat!
Apr 19th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses folks benj - any recommendations then for an authentic cajun place - with some music and dancing?

Thanks

Search this Thread