Search

2 days in DC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days in DC

Hi,
I was wondering if you could look over my plans for my DC trip. This trip was originally supposed to be for 6 days but I've had to narrow it down to 2 days minus travel days.

Day 1:
Air and Space or Natural History
lunch
monuments/memorials - I would like to see all of the major ones

Day 2:
Zoo
lunch
Natural History or Air and Space

Does this look fine or should I rearrange things?
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:28 PM

ok, but I would suggest skipping the zoo. Maybe go to the Holocaust Museum on the day that you visiti the monuments. Or the spy museam. Then visit the NH and A&S on the other day.

OTOH, if you had bad weather on one day then you could make that the two-museum day and go to the memorials and zoo on the other, hopefully beautiful weather, day.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM

Or just rearrange things when you get there and see what it will be like.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:43 AM

Yeah, I agree. With only two days, I would skip the zoo. I mean, the zoo is really nice, but a zoo is not that different from one city to another. Focus on going to museums that are unique to DC. I would actually skip Natural History for that reason, and add the Holocaust as suggested by the other poster.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM

What you have planned is certainly a well-paced schedule for those two days. I congratulate you on not succumbing to the temptation over over, over packing the days. (I don't know if you can literally see _all_ the monuments/memorials on day 1, but you could see a lot. Consider a nighttime monument tour to catch more).

But as to whether these are the best things to see in two days, I think this is impossible to answer without knowing more about what your goal is for this trip, and what your interests are. I agree with others that there a number of DC attractions that would be considered more "unique" than the ones you have selected.

On the other hand, if you have a particular interest in animals or zoos, the DC one really is great. (And lots of people go to see the pandas.) If I personally had to choose two museums -- and I was not travelling with children -- the Natural History Museum would not necessarily be one of them. But again, maybe you are particularly interested in biology, etc.

So, tell us a bit more about what you'd like to get out of this trip, and what time of year you will be going . . .
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:41 PM

I live in DC and echo the suggestion to tour the monuments at night--they are spectacular after dark. My husband and I always take out of town guests to dinner then park on Constitution Ave. at about 23rd St. and walk from the Vietnam Vets to the WWII, back around by the Korean War and Women's Memorial, and over to the Lincoln. All of this is in the shadow of the Washington Monument with the Capital behind that. They do stay open late and have park rangers and park police there as well, so you'll be surprised by the number of people there.

Also agree with other posters on museums, except if you have kids going with you the Natural History has the gems for the girls (Hope Diamond, Empress Josephine's jewels, etc., plus really cool minerals and other amazing geological wonders) and the insects for the boys. The American History is closed for renovations right now. Holocaust is very moving and interesting. Air and Space is a safe bet for guys, but not so interesting for girls and women, I've noticed.

The zoo is very fun with our pandas. Just keep in mind it is quite old, so it's not fresh and glitzy like some, but it's well loved.

Hope you have a wonderful visit!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 06:20 PM

I'd also put a plug in for the FDR memorial, particularly at night. It's nearby Lincoln and Jefferson and makes great use of indirect lighting and water. One of my favorites!
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all of the replies. My fiance and I are going from March 16-19. We are staying with his sister in Baltimore and taking transportation into DC on Saturday and Sunday.
I would like to see the monuments at night since I've heard how beautiful they are. Would transportation back to Baltimore be safe at night?
My fiance doesn't want to see the Holocaust Museum so that is why that isn't on my list.
I'm willing to take the zoo off and replace it with something else. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Also, can you walk to all of the memorials (Lincoln, Jefferson, Vietnam, WWII, Korean, etc.) or should I look into something like Tourmobile?

Thanks for all the help.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM

> can you walk to all of the memorials (Lincoln,
> Jefferson, Vietnam, WWII, Korean, etc.

Can YOU do the walking? That depends. They're all spaced one after another, so it is POSSIBLE to walk to all of them -- and I've done exactly that, twice, 30 years apart. But I'm an avid walker who can maintain a rather brisk pace, and either you or your fiance might find that much walking quite a drain. If you both enjoy long walks, then you should be able to do what I did.

Do NOT overlook the World War Two Memorial, a powerful remembrance of a chapter in world history that must not be forgotten.
Old Mar 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM

You should have alternate plans; one for good weather and one for bad weather. If it's good weather, walking around the monuments in the morning would be a great way to start. You can park around the tidal basin and easily walk to the Jefferson, FDR, Lincoln and Washington. You could then do a museum in the afternoon. For the next day, you could walk around the Capitol, the Library of Congress and the Botanical Gardens. Museum after lunch. this would give you an opportunity to see the monuments and museums and walk around.

If you're a walker or runner, exrcising at the Zoo in the early morning is fun. The buildings are closed, but there are many animals out and about.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM

On Saturday and Sunday evenings, your public transport options back to Baltimore proper are essentially Amtrak or a taxi. (On weekdays, and sometimes on baseball weekends, there is a commuter train). So yes, both are safe. Given the cost of these options (I believe Amtrak fares will be at least $15 per person each way, taxi probably $70 one way) you might see if you can get a low-cost rental car. Neither parking nor traffic on the Baltimore-Washington parkway are too bad on the weekends.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 03:10 PM

My mom, sister and I are heading to DC March 29-April 1 to see the apple blossoms. We are going on a two day tour bus to several areas that have been mentioned. However, we'd like to go on a evening cruise-have a recommendation on areas to see, best cruise company, etc?? We seem to always take short cruises as we did in Hawaii and Chicago and feel like we get a wonderful view of the city. Suggestions? Are we asking for it by visiting during the Apple Blossom Festival? What is your blooming prediction? Thanks and I look forward to the tour!
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Cyndilou - it is the CHERRY Blossom Festival.

According to the local news, they are predicting that peak blooming will be between April 1st and April 7th. You might find this website helpful"

www.cherryblossomfestival.org

Enjoy your visit!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:08 PM

That's not the right site. Try this:
http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org

Apple blossom festival is in the Shenandoah Valley in May.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Our weather in March and April is quite changeable, and predicting when to have the Cherry Blossom Festival is always a gamble. They HAVE to pick the dates in advance--they have school marching bands, etc., coming, and people have to make plans. Sometimes on the date of the parade the cherry blossoms are past their peak (or even blown off the trees by the wind) and sometimes they are just opening.

That said, your dates of March 29 to April 1 should be fine. Even if they DO "peak" between April 1 to 5, they should be beautiful the last few days of March. I hope you have a great trip here.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 05:53 AM

I apologize - mrwunrfl is right. That is what I get for googling late at night, haha.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:42 AM

If you pass by, stop in for a look at the interior of the old Library of Congress building. Don't forget Harborplace since you are already in Baltimore.
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Hi sajohnston-

As a Baltimore girl who now lives in the DC area, I would also suggest seeing the Aquarium in Balto. It is fabulous if you like that kind of thing. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
JJ5

I just went.

Totally loved the zoo, would be 3rd on my list for bests.

Ages of boys makes a difference in this.

Read my long report for some ideas and it would be easier than telling what YOU like. Washington D.C. or the best $22 value I've spent traveling. It's still in the top 50, I think.

The outside monuments are better than the Museums, and we did them in semi-blizzard, rain or whatever and also one day at Arlington in a gale wind added- so depending upon how you dress or how much you are friendly with real walking- this is extremely doable.

I would take the monuments in the mall, Archives, Lib.of Congress over the Air & Space anyday. But that's me. When I take my grandsons, we are going to do every momenument, that's for sure. Probably first.

Loved FDR too. Loved WWII, as well - and this was a GREAT place for family, I noticed. Many of the ethnic or foreign travelers were taking their pictures against their country names etc. Interesting and extremely people friendly and educating.