Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

3 Days in Washington DC, Where to Start?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Keith

We have 3 full days, and 2 partial days in DC....with so many things to see and do, where do we start? I understand we can't do everything, but what are some "you just can't miss this while you are there" kind of places. Include all tourist attractions, restaurants, day trips, places the locals go to, etc. Thanks

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:51 PM
xxx

whatever you do . . . please, don't ask if it is safe here!!

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Judy

PULEESE xxx Keith is asking for help to make his 3 days stay worthwhile and is that all you have to say? I too would like to know what to do in about the same time frame, where to visit, eat etc. and while neither Keith nor I will forget to watch our backs we just want advice on how to get the most out of our time in the nation's capital. Let's stick to the question, please.

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 10:25 PM
xxx

ooooooohhhh...I'm tooo scared to talk now.
I was being sincere. didn't want THAT subject to come up AGAIN. Jeeeeze Judy....take a deep breath will ya'?

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Eva

Keith you haven't said whether or not there are kids involved. That can greatly affect what you should do? Also will you be visiting during the summer when you need to allow for some breaks by the pool? Definately plan on at least one full day on the mall, preferably starting at one end and working your way down seeing all the monuments, snacking on junk food from the outdoor carts etc. Lunch in the cafeteria at hte Museum of Natural History is pretty good though.

Depending on the ages and interest level within the group, The Holocaust Museum is incredible, th etour at th eLibrary of Congress is also quite good.The National Cathedral is an amazing place especially if like me you have never seen the cathedrals of Europe. This one is said to be the 6th largest in the world.

With more specifics about your trip there are many more recommendations we can provide.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:51 AM
THe View

Okay, there is so much to say, and I assume you've already gone through at least a AAA book to get an idea of stuff. I'll concentrate on getting a view, which you don't need to go to the Wash. Monument to get. You'll spend too much time there waiting, etc. and the view, while nice, isn't all THAT much better than the view from the Old Postoffice Pavillion tower. You may have to wait a LITTLE while there, and it's not as tall as the Wash.Mon., but it's a very good view, and closer-up, too, of the area from Capitol to Georgetown. Also, there are plenty of shops and restaurants in the pavilion itself, whereas from the Mon., you have to walk quite a bit.

Whether or not you have kids, you owe it to yourselves to go visit your Sen. or Representative's office, just to have a sense of what the Capitol is all about. Even better is to have an appt. to meet her/him or take one of their tours, which you need to arrange ahead of time (before you get there). Riding on the little underground tram is cool, too, but not essential.

I won't even bother with the mall museums, since you'll get plenty of info and advice about them. But I will mention that I always make a point of going up to Dunbarton Oaks in Georgetown if the gardens are open (they are just a gorgeous bit of European gardens in the middle of an American city), and their little pre-Columban museum off the house is a pretty glass-in-the-round gem, even if you don't care a lot for the art.

Mt. Vernon is a good morning trip (not enough for a day trip) that will give you some flavor of plantation life as well as colonial/federal era opulence.

Adams Morgan is where to go for the best array of really interesting restaurants, shops, etc. and some non-tourist but fully accessible aspects of DC.

Do downtown Georgetown only if you crave a bad mix of wealth, shopping malls, and tourist traps. Most people can't leave without passing through there, but I try to avoid M St. and lower Wisc. Ave. when I pass through the otherwise lovely old area.

Yeah, don't miss the Cathedral -- esp. the "moonrock" window, the view from the steps, and the gardens.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:57 AM
betty

why has'nt anyone suggested Arlington and the changing of the guard.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:34 AM
jb

Take one of the bus tours available. I am from DC and had never taken one until I took a group from all over the world on one. I took as many pictures as any of them! I've heard DC Ducks is fun (they go on the Potomac RIver as part of the tour). I am not sure what the names of the companie are but your hotel should have all sorts of brochures - or check out the DC Board of Tourism. The tour lasts a few hours and you get to go to all the major attractions, get out and check things out. Then you can go back on your own to see what you like best.

My 3 favorites are:

Museum of American History (Ruby Slippers, etc.)

Korean War Memorial

The Mall/Elipse (Lincoln Memorial at one end and the Capital at the other)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:19 PM
Keith

The ages of our family group are (3 generations) 65, 40, 38, 18 and 12. Someone suggested we take in Shear(sp) Madness at the Kennedy Center? Thanks to all of you who have offered suggestions.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:30 PM
Samantha

Keith,

I know exactly where you're coming from - my husband and I went to D.C. for 2 days last year and had difficulty deciding how to spend our limited time there. We're going back next month, so we'll focus on places we didn't see the first time around!

Anyway, for what it's worth, these are the places we went to last year:

Museum of Natural History
Museum of American History
Vietnam War Memorial
Korean War Memorial
Lincoln Monument
Washington Monument

We also walked around near the areas of the F.B.I. building, Ford's Theater, Old Post Office, etc.

All of you will have a great time exploring D.C. Don't push yourselves to try to see everything - it will be impossible with the limited time you'll be there. Just do what we did - start planning your next trip there as soon as you leave!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:27 AM
Kristin

Shear Madness is a good suggestion for your group, since I'd imagine it's hard to find evening events that appeal to so many ages. It's a fun show, seeing the Kennedy Center alone is worth a trip, and everyone should be entertained regardless of age. I also think the Holocaust Museum would be appropriate and interesting for everyone in your group, and it is an amazing museum.

A previous poster recommended visiting the Capitol and your Rep's office - very good idea, just make sure you call as far in advance as possible. Since Sept. 11, staff is no longer allowed to bring visitors over to the Capitol without a pre-arranged tour appointment, and they are hard to get without advance notice. Also, even if you're accompanied by staff, visitors are no longer allowed on the Capitol subway train or through the tunnels that connect all the buildings, so you'll have to walk outside.

Other ideas... the younger ones will probably love walking around Adams-Morgan and Dupont Circle. A drink on the Hotel Washington rooftop is the perfect end to a day of sightseeing. The Cathedral, although not near any other sights, is breathtaking and worth a trip even if it takes a little extra time. And I agree, the moon rock window is my absolute favorite!

Other museums I really like... American History, National Gallery East Wing, Corcoran, Phillips, Air and Space.

Enjoy your trip!

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:29 AM
sss

Just had a gorgeous weekend in D.C. So perfect, took the shuttle down from La Guardia and was in the city via train inside of 30 minutes from landing. Best thing to do is see what sights are open during your time. Capital is closed on Sundays, White house only does tours during week.

There is a trolley that is $8 for children and $18 per day for adults. If you are set out on foot at 1pm you get a day and half for the price of one day. This seems handy as even if your hotel is central there still is a considerable amount of walking. I was two blocks from white house,5-6 from Washington Monument.
I suggest doing a full tour on the tour trolley bus so you see the layout of the city and can identify which locations you want to see more closely. I have read suggestions that if you are centrally located you don't need public transportation. I myself wish I had a bike on hand. TOO MUCH WALKING. The city is green a beautifull right now and as long as your legs hold up it is pleasant. I am more sore today than after a weekend of down-hill skiing.

Lincoln memorial and capital are about 1.5-2 miles apart. I would also do a restaurant search. I was just a few blocks from a place called old ebbits an establishment Thomas Jefferson patronized and I ate at my hotel each morning. READ ON Epinions that there were no good restaurants to speak of near my hotel. I also am coming from NY. One evening I ordered seered ahi. The waitor said to me how would you like this cooked. I said seered just as the menu indicates. He said yes but many patrons don't like that once they get it. I said I want that, I like my tuna that way. GUESS what I got tuna that slightly rare inside and well done through most of it.

This was one of the better seafood restaurants in Georgetown, sorry I forget the name.

Will right more later. My favs and I lived in D.C are evening walks in Georgetown, Mall walks. Building restrictions keep all buildings no higher than the Washington Monument this preserves a wide open sky that we just don't have in Manhatten.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:42 AM
r-travels

If you take the Tourmobile, be aware that if you purchase tix after 1 (or 2?) pm, for $2 more, you get use of it the whole next day as well. I don't know if the other companys offer that. The other companys however probably go further out ...eg: I saw GreyLine trolleys in Georgetown. (remove x from e-ddress to reply to me)

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:43 AM
sss

PS planning is everything and I just decided to go down Friday afternoon so I did little. Went to Ford's theatre only to find they let in groups of 600 but only at certain times and evening productions cut short a regular schedule. So don't head down there with out some knowledge of talk times/tours.

Room Lincoln died in, is right across the street and you can walk in anytime (9-5). Was nice to compliment this visit with the Lincoln memorial visit.

Not a notably patriotic person but I was very moved by the Korean War veterans/ Vietnam Veterans memorial. Also happy to compliment this visit with a visit to American History Museum where you can see a section dedicated to the Japanese who were interned during WWII. So much history all over D.C so interesting to absorb it all.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 12:28 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:35 PM
Paula

Dive your sites into day, night and reservations -ie: Holocaust is a reservation site and you will want a good 3 hours - another reservation site would be the FBI tour of the White House Tour- these are placed you will have specific times for, plus give yourself alittle extra time for waiting - once you have your timed sites known the rest of the planning wil fall in line:
night visits (in this suggested order) Jefferson Memorial, Washington Monument, Statue of Edison, Vietnam Memorial, Lincoln Memorial, Korean War Memorial - if you have a car, go up Mass Ave (Embassy Row) to American University, switch to Wisconsin Ave and see the Cathedral (beautiful at night)
day: Smithsonian museums, National Archives,The Capitol, the Library of Congress, Supreme Court -
note: the Old Post Office can substitute for the Wash. Monument (same view from their elevator) -
See Georgetown at night and include dinner -
See Old Town Alexandria also at night for dinner and walk around the shops -
Go to the Washingtonpost.com site before you leave and check out what's happening at the museums- you'll kill yourself if you attempt to see all of the Smithsonian - see what tickles you --
The Metro is great - you can jump on and be at Dupont circle ( somewhat like NY's village for lunch - or pop cover to Union Station for lunch )

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:54 PM
Patti

Keith
I'm a DC area native and you have been given some excellent advice. Where else can you go and have all of these fantastic museums at absolutely no cost to you.
I will forewarn you (I know I'll catch the devil on this) but the Holocaust Museum is a very moving, heartbreaking tour. I have been there 3 times now (reservations are a must) and most every person I've seen has been in tears. Try to splurge and stay downtown so you won't be fighting the DC traffic jams - most restaurants are really good and the subway is excellent. If you have a question on any hotels there - name them on this site and we'll yea or nay them, ok?

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:00 PM
Keith

We have reservations at the One Washington Circle Hotel. What do you think? Nay? Yea? Thanks....oh by the way, I have the rooms for $99/night.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Jeff

If you are interested in plants and gardens, you might check out the new Botanical gardens (on the mall near the Capitol), Dumbarton Oaks (an historic garden in Georgetown), or the National Arboritum (need a car to get there).

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Ellen

Further advice re Ford's Theater: They will be closing in June to do some major electrical renovations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -