2 days in Chicago, what should I do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I might have a quick weekend in Chicago coming up. I've never been to the city and I really don't know much about it so I'm excited to check out the city; but would appreciate some help on how to make the most of my time.
Old May 8th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Art institute, a steak house dinner, and biking the lakefront trail would be my idea of an awesome weekend- ymmv.
Old May 8th, 2018, 12:55 PM

I'd visit the Signature Lounge at what was the John Hancock Building. Great views and well worth the price of a drink for the views.
Old May 8th, 2018, 01:30 PM

Do a tour--the river tour, maybe?-- with the Chicago Architecture Foundation.

https://www.architecture.org/experience-caf/tours/
Old May 9th, 2018, 01:47 AM

You could see the Art Institute of Chicago, Skydeck Chicago and one of the best attraction there is the Skyline.
Old May 9th, 2018, 02:20 AM

Food options:

Chicago - best foodie destinations

Attractions, see later in the thread for what I actually did:

6-day Chicago itinerary -- feedback wanted
Old May 9th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Just for starters

Michigan Avenue (Magnificent Mile)
CAF boat tour
Rent a bike and ride on the path along the beach
Lincoln Park Zoo
Lincoln Park Conservatory
Wrigley Field
Millenium Park (including "the bean")
Grant Park
Art Institute
Shedd Aquarium
Chicago Cultural Center (just pop in to see the Tiffany dome)
The Rookery - worth a tour inside
Walk by Tribune Tower
Eat pizza (it's not my favorite, but it's a "thing to do"
Old May 9th, 2018, 09:49 AM

Catch a show at Second CIty or ImprovOlympic...? Or a play at Steppenwolf...?
Old May 10th, 2018, 07:31 AM

As many previous posters have mentioned, if you are at all interested in art, then put the Art Institute at the top of your list. It's one of the best in this country, or perhaps even the world.
Old May 10th, 2018, 12:43 PM

I would definitely do one of the architecture tours. I like the river one the best but have done some walking tours and they were good too. If weather is good Millennium Park is a great place to stroll and people watch. Lincoln Zoo and Conservatory are also nice for a stroll and a bike ride along the lake shore is fun. If weather is crummy, any of the museums (Art, Natural History, Science, etc) are all good. I would just pick the one you are most interested in as you can spend hours in each one. Depending on your budget, Hamilton is at the CIBC theatre. Just watch the seating as they have a lot of obstructed view seats on the main level. But well worth it even if you have slight obstruction. If you want a view of the city look at 360 Chicago (the old John Hancock tower) or Sky Deck. I am not a big fan of Navy Pier. It is mostly shops and the Ferris wheel but if you like that go for it. Miracle Mile is the big shopping area, again not my thing as most of the shops are found in most decent sized cities, but if you like shopping it is a mecca. If you plan on doing a lot of the museums and viewing check out the GO Chicago Card. Discounted entry to a bunch of places and you can come and go as you wish. You can also buy transit passes for one or two days making it very easy to get around.
Old May 10th, 2018, 01:01 PM

We saw Hamilton in Chicago last summer. It was sold out so we applied for the lottery and did not get tickets. The day we arrived we went to the box office and were 12th in line for lottery tickets that had gone unclaimed. When they got to us, there was only 1 ticket left, so we gave it to the person in line behind us. The person in the box office told us that if we waited another hour or so, they could possibly have a few additional tickets. Fast forward 45 minutes, and we got center orchestra Row F for face value. Great deal, and GREAT SHOW!

(p.s. I agree about Navy Pier, but I like North MIchigan Avenue, not for the shops themselves, just for strolling and people-watching)
Old May 10th, 2018, 01:13 PM

There are a million “what to do in Chicago “ threads on this forum and a city guide. Do a little research and come back with more specific questions. That will be a lot more productive and beneficial to you.
Old May 13th, 2018, 07:42 AM

On our last two trips to Chicago we have taken a free Chicago Greeters tour. Check out the website. You have to register in advance so they can match you with a volunteer for a guided tour. The first time I wanted to see Chicago's Chinatown but we also made a brief visit to a Mexican neighborhood. Last visit was to the zoo area, glass house, walk along Michigan Avenue. You pick where you want to go. I liked the river architectural tour a lot. We also did a food tour of Chicago. Although the food wasn't the highlight of the tour, the tour guide was from the Chicago World's Fair era and we all read Devil in the White city before the trip to get acquainted with that part of history.
Old May 13th, 2018, 09:54 AM

No suggestions, but have fun!
Old May 13th, 2018, 12:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree about the architecture boat tour.
If you have any interest in Frank Lloyd Wright, you might enjoy visiting his home and studio and check out his other homes in the neighborhood -
https://flwright.org/visit/homeandstudio