2 days/ 1 night in Seattle

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 days/ 1 night in Seattle

Staying in downtown area at the newly renovated vance Hotel. How is this place and location? what should we do during the day- good shopping, sightseeing, etc? Any cool areas to have lunch in? How about an amazing restaurant recommendation for dinner and maybe some spots for drinks afterwards?

Also, any nice salon recommendations for downtown area for blow dry and manicure?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Many of the rooms there are *really* tiny, but the location is pretty central (a little off the beaten path but just by a couple blocks).

If you'll be here soon (i.e., while the weather's good), I love having lunch out on the deck at the Pink Door in the Market.

My favorite restaurants downtown are Palace Kitchen and Dahlia Lounge...both are Tom Douglas restaurants and have wonderful food and amazing desserts.

Gene Juarez is a nice salon downtown not far from the Vance.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:23 AM

Shopping: For boutique type stores, along 1st Ave, from Belltown (maybe beginning at Bell St. all the way down to Pioneer Square). Pioneer Square has antiques, great bookstores, and art galleries. The Pike Place Market has some interesting, funky shops. The "retail core" around 5th and Pike has most of the same shops and dept. stores most cities do, with the higher end designer stores along 5th Ave to the south.
In terms of sightseeing, have you read previous threads or looked at a guidebook? Without knowing your interests (art? architecture? history? etc) it's pretty hard to tell you what you should do. Same with restaurants-there's a lot of threads where people have asked for restaurant recommendations you can read. Alternately, if you get more specific than "amazing" (view? seafood? expensive? trendy? Asian? French? Willing to venture outside of downtown?) it would be a lot easier to help you.
For a "cool" lunch area-The Pike Place Market has a ton of terrific lunch spots. I'd most highly recommend the Market Grill and Matt's in the Market if you enjoy seafood.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:35 AM

Tom Douglas's new restaurant, Lola (Greek inspired) is also not far from the Vance.

The bar in the Mayflower Hotel used to win awards for its martinis.

The Virginia Inn, on First Avenue, is a favorite downtown bar hangout. Also, on First Avenue, is Axis--which attracts a youngish crowd.

Happy Hour is a big deal at McCormick and Schmick restaurants.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:44 AM

take the ferry over to bainbridge island for the movie, postcard perfect, photo op, etc. views at night of the city.

eateries at the docks.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For lunch, just go to The (Pike Place) Market. Maximillians, Emmett Watson, Pink Door, Etta's Seafood are each fun in their own way. Or for if you'd like a water view Cutters or Anthonys, north end or the Market and waterfront respectively.

Etherea Salon Spa at 2001 1st (441-5511) offers hair and nails and is very convenient to your hotel.

What kind of *amazing* are you looking for and what price range? Setting, food, traditional, offbeat, walking distance or take a taxi?

Off the top of my head I'll throw out a few ideas like... Union, Lark, Campagne, Il Bistro, Rovers, A.L. Bocalino, Fontana, Assagios, Lola, Dalia Lounge.

For drinks afterward I'm guessing... Belltown (but again I'm not clear from your post if you want a young and 'hip' kind of crowd or something more elegant.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I'll second the Dahlia Lounge. Great pressed duck appetizer and crab cakes here. The Flying Fish is also very good for a nice dinner in Seattle. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Aug 21st, 2005, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Around how much is a taxi or transportation from airport to downtown? Is there another hotel you would recommend more- that is not too outrageous in price- but still nice? We got such a good rate at the Vance- like $160 a night- and the rooms sound rather luxurious.

Also, would love any other recommendations for hip, martini type bars- we are in late 20's, early 30's.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 08:33 AM

Hi Sara, as I live here I can't offer advice on hotels, I don't pay attention to them.

Martini Bars:
Tini Bigs
100 Denny Way
Seattle, WA 98109
Phone: 206-284-0931

Marcus' Martini Heaven
88 Yesler Way
Seattle, WA 98104
Phone: 206-624-3323,

Bars: There's a row of bars on first ave in Belltown starting with The Frontier Room, Ohana, Axis, Tia Lou's.

I think a taxi from the airport is around $40. At least that's what it cost me to get to Fremont, just north of downtown.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:32 AM

"See Sound" on Blanchard between 1st & 2nd.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM

the apartment bistro
2226 1st

Bada Lounge
2230 1st
www.badalounge.com
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Suze is dead on with the bar suggestions, Tini Bigs is still busy but it's a bit past its prime, not to mention incredibly smokey!

Palace Kitchen is a great place for late night nosh and drinks too- very fun and upbeat.

I might have missed it but Union on 1st and Union is one of the best restaurants in town right now.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:14 AM

hey thanks. not to mention those 3 have the added benefit of being stumbling distance one to the next -LOL.

also the happy hour food and drinks menu at Brasa's (3rd & Lenora) gets good comments.