Reload this Page >

2 day visit to Boston

Search

2 day visit to Boston

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 10:03 AM
jane

2 day visit to Boston

We are visiting Boston as part of a world trip. We stay only three nights, the first in Pawtucket as it is our twin town, last night at the airport hotel in Boston. What can we do for two whole days inbetween. We have heard that Cape Cod is not that good. Where can we go to see some good sights.

Thanks

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 10:27 AM
Kim

When are you going? Personally, I would spend the two days in Boston seeing the Freedom Trail (main historical sites), Kennedy Library, Harvard Square, Copley & Newbury Street, the North End (Italian district), Bunker Hill memorial in Charlestown, USS Constitution, and if you have a car you can see the Revolution sites such as Concord & Lexington. Also, Walden Pond & the Thoreau Institute near Waltham; Salem (also has Thoreau's House of the Seven Gables); etc, etc. Really, it depends on your interests. Do a search on Boston and I'm sure you'll come up with other ideas.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 10:31 AM
hersefl

PAWTUCKET! you poor thing. 10 minutes in Pawtucket should do it. Then get over to Providence for great food, night life and the new Providence Place Mall. Newport is a great place to visit. You could go there after your 10 minutes in Pawtucket. Cliff walk, see mansions etc. You should also spend a day in Boston. Freedom walk, a little bit of history on how and why we are no longer a colony of UK. Enjoy you visit.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Charles

spend the time in Boston, Lexington and Concord

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 11:48 AM
Pris

Without knowing the time of year, it's a bit difficult to recommend, but I *will* say I'm not so sure all the colonial and Revolution-period historical sights are the first I'd recommend to someone from the UK!

Cape Cod is not that great compared to what? The National Seashore has ensured preservation of some beautiful dunes and commanding views from lighthouses like Highland and Nauset. But if you only have 2 days, I'd recommend sticking close to downtown Boston and Cambridge.

In Boston, you'll enjoy the Museum of Fine Art -- good art, good shop, nice little cafe. The view from atop the Hancock is spectacular but if and only if it's clear. Walking around Newberry St. and the Public Garden and Beacon Hill is a wonderful couple of hours if you are a walker and the weather isn't brutal. And my personal view is that visiting Boston without visiting Harvard Sq. and Univ. is not seeing Boston.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Lucy

Just returned from Boston, here's what I'd recommend. First go to John Hancock Observatory - unbelievable 360 panoramic view of the city from tallest bldg. in New England. Eat lunch at Legal Seafood - awesome - especially the chowder (walking distance - 3 blocks around the corner from Hancock bldg in Theater District). From there walk over and see Boston Common / Boston Public Gardens. Cross the street and see the Massachusets State House - take the tour if you have time. Then head down to Faneuil Hall (take cab or T), walk around a bit, then cross over to Long Wharf and go to the Aquarium. You're right there in the North End (Little Italy), enjoy the sights and have dinner at Saracino's (out-of-this-world good Italian food) - be sure to stop in at the bakery down the street for pastries and dessert to take back to hotel. Next day, head for the Museum of Fine Arts, if you like museums(take the T) - plan to spend a while there. Grab lunch at Au Bon Pain, then take the T to the JFK Library and Museum. If you don't like museums, take the day and go to Martha's Vineyard (either fly Cape Air or take the Bonanza Bus, then catch the ferry) Once on Martha's Vineyard, head for Edgartown and walk around and enjoy the shops and sights. While there, you HAVE to eat at Chesca's - fabulous. That's a full day, so start early! Enjoy!!!!!