2-day drive'n walk in Boston. tips?

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:10 AM
Helen V

2-day drive'n walk in Boston. tips?

In late August 01 we will drive a rental car from Derry NH to Boston MA on a Friday. Want to stay one nite in a nice 'n safe hotel near Freedom Trail, park in hotel garage then walk the area. Saturday want to drive to Salem. Tips on hotel that fits the bill in Boston, and restaurant w/seafood & baked beans in that same area, other sites to see in that walking area--no museums or baseball games that take up all day, just tourist stuff? (I'm so excited).

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:25 AM
anja

You mention no museums, but you've got to see this one, and it won't take long to go thru. The Isabella Stuart Gardner museum is worth the two hour walk through. It's located behind the MFA on a side street. The architecture / eccentric mood of the place will surprise you, and the courtyard garden is exquisite.

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:48 AM
gail

Your post reminded me that in my effort to bring back authentic souveniers I purchased several bags of "Boston" beans (on the Freedom Trail) when I got home I was suprised to see they actually were from California (!).I second the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. It is not your traditional museum.It does not have wordy dscriptions of art, but allows you to interpret the things you see in a natural environment.

Old May 17th, 2001, 08:31 AM
EdC

Helen:

For hotels on the Freedom Trail, you might want to consider the Parker House (an Omni hotel). The Freedom Trail literally runs in front of it. the Parker House may be pricey, but you might get a deal. There is no parking at the hotel, but there is a parking garage across the street at Center Plaza. If budget is more a factor, try the Radisson downtown. It is a few blocks away from Boston Common and the Freedom Trail (it's more in the theatre district, which isn't beautiful during the day, but can be lively at night). There is parking at the Radisson. Other hotel options would be in the Copley area (Marriott, Sheraton, Westin, Hilton all have hotels with ample parking) which is in Back Bay. Although these are not on the Freedom Trail, Boston is small enough that you can either take a five minute ride on the "T" (the subway) to Park Street and pick up the trail reight outside the station, or you could walk to the Freedom Trail in about fifteen minutes. Copley is an area you will want to see anyhow, so I recommend it. Two other hotel ideas: Wyndham has 2 hotels in town. One is actually called the Tremont House and, like the Radisson, is in the theatre district. the other is the Wyndham Boston (or maybe its the Wyndham Downtown?). This hotel is in the financial district, about two blocks from the waterfront, and two blocks from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market area (Freedom Trail).

Regarding restaurants, I don't know any restaurant in Boston that serves baked beans. Sorry, but either such places don't exist, or they are so "old school" (i.e., grungy) that I would never go to them. Boston is, however, a great seafood city and your choices are endless. Your hotel will probably have several suggestions for good seafood.

I know you said no museums, but I have to cast a third vote for the Gardner; the building itself is worth seeing (a Renaissance Venetian palazzo which was built for the sole purpose of housing Mrs. Gardner's collection). Getting there will be a ten minute taxi ride and you can cover the whole museum in an hour or two.

For a one-day stay in Boston you cannot possibly come close to seeing everything, so here are 4 definite "must sees":
1. Freedom Trail (already on your itinerary)
2. Gardner Museum (give it a shot)
3. Back Bay (Trinity Church, Newbury Street shopping, Commonwealth Ave - a Parisian boulevard complete with statues and greenery, the Hancock Tower observatory)
4. Harvard Square (small side streets to wander around, people watch, walk around the oldest college campus in the US, shopping).

Enjoy your trip (and come back to see the rest)!

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Jane

RE: EdC's suggestion of Omni Parker House- a word of warning. Ed is right- great location, right on the Freedom Trail, etc. It is pricey but occasionally they have offers for $159 a night. We thought this was great deal till we saw our room. It was the smallest hotel room I have ever seen. My boyfriend and I couldn't even pass each other in the room- one of us would have to stand on the bed so the other person could get to the bathroom. The only way we could fit another person in there would have been to suspend them from the ceiling! We found out later that they were old servant's rooms that had been converted to guest rooms. The $159 rate was great but I wish someone would have warned me so I could consider all my options.

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:07 AM
Jane

Oh! Forgot one more suggestion- in Cambridge, we had a great brunch at a place called "Upstairs at the Pudding" which is located above the Hasty Pudding Club. I'm sure it's also good for dinner. There was a beautiful balcony area also where you can also dine.

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Greg

Helen,

Can't help you with the Hotel, but as for restaurants you should try Durgen Park in Quincy market. It has all the things you are looking for. It's right on the freedom trail, has good seafood and boston baked beans. It is a very old rest. that seemed to me very Bostonian. I am an out of towner but that was my opinion. Are there any locals that can offer more out there?

Old May 17th, 2001, 09:56 AM
bennie

Durgin Park and the Union Oyster House are the most likely places to find baked beans. Both are touristy places in the Faniuel Hall area. They may be touristy but I think you get a decent meal there. The above mentioned Upstairs at the Pudding is very trendy type cuisine. (overdone in my opinion) and will definately not have baked beans. As for hotels the Wyndham is on Broad Street which is very close to the Big Dig construction and may be noisy and/or confusing. I live in the Boston area and I have stayed at the Colonade and the Bostonian. The Colonade has good rates and is in the area of Newbury Street, Copley Square, Prudential Center, Christian Science Mother Church (very beautiful area). A fair walk to the Freedom Trail but very do-able. The comments on the Parker House are accurate.

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:48 PM
EdC

Saw another posting about lodging in Boston and it reminded me that I had neglected to mention the Marriott Long Wharf. It is right on the water, next to the aquarium and the Freedom Trail passes within a block of it. It is also practically across the street - if you consider walking through a Big Dig underpass to be a cross the street - from Faneuil Hall (earlier posters mentioned Union Oyster House and Durgin Park as restaurants that would serve fish and beans). I have been to Union Oyster and thought the food was good. Durgin Park has very surly service (park of its "schtick").

My parents (known to have been somewhat frugal), once decided last minute to stay in Boston from out of town and the nearest place was the Marriott Long Wharf. They enjoyed it. Marriott Long Wharf also has parking.

Old May 18th, 2001, 06:29 AM
Ann

Here's another vote for Durgan Park. I'm local, and we frequently take visitors there. All have loved it (including my cousins from Paris). The wait staff can be brusk, though they've become much nicer than in the past (yes, it's part of the restaurant's reputation). They may seat you at a large table with strangers, though I'm sure you can request your own table if that's an issue. The food is traditional, not gourmet, but if you love prime rib, this is the place! Also, be sure to try the indian pudding with ice cream, even if you get one dish and many spoons. It's so famous they print the recipe on the souvenier brocheurs. Seafood is fresh and simply prepared. I'm pretty sure they do have baked beans on the menu as well. This is a Boston institution, not a fine dine experience, but one you should check out. We love it, and have been going there for over 30 years.

Old May 18th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Helen

WOW! I was so surprised to see all the great responses to my questions. Many emails made me laugh out loud and I shared quotes from some with my friends. OK, OK, I will visit the Gardner Museum (have to drag my husband, that's the problem). I will take as much of your advice as I can and report back in September 01. I love this website and the friendly Boston people. I'm even more excited now!

Old May 18th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Caroline

Helen-- of course we Bostonians are friendly-don't know where we got the rep for being cold. Gotta do the Swan Boats and the duck tour. While Durgin Park has changed a lot, it still should not be missed. Have a wonderful time!!!

Old Jun 10th, 2001, 06:34 PM
former New Englander

Forget the baked bean nonsense --- that's SO, so out of date. I grew up in Quincy, MA (just outside of Boston on the red line) --- we NEVER ate baked beans. I don't know any of my friends who ate baked beans. I'd imagine the moniker 'Bean Town' dates back to the 18th century & who knows why it's stuck around so long.

Eat the seafood. YES, that's a Boston tradition, but nix on the baked beans !!!

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 03:58 PM
stacey

Helen - definitely have the baked beans. Boston is famous for them, whether all people actually eat them or not, well, that's another story. My kid's laughing at me because that's what I made for dinner. Don't forget to get the brown bread, too, if you can.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:38 PM
judy

Durgin Park is quite a scene. Definitely worth going for the experience. My 80 year old parents who are Bostonians but now live in Florida, can't wait to go back to Durgin Park when they are up here. Besides the baked beans they are know for their fish cakes. The Boston accents, loud, gruff waitresses, old, historical decor is really typically Old Boston. You should know it is not the best seafood by far in the city, but it is a genuine Boston experience. It's not where the yuppies dine, not fancy or classy.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 07:07 AM
Toni

Lots of great suggestions here...we just spent 5 days in Boston (My first time and I LOVED it, it's a clean, safe city with incredible architechure, history and resturants.) What else could you ask for :0).
One of the highlights for me was the top of the Prudential building for a 360 degree view of the city. On a clear day they say you can see the White Mountains. Have a great time!