2.5 days in Oahu, what not to miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be spending 2 1/2 days in Oahu on our vacation this year. We are spending most of our time in Maui, but wanted a quick stop in Oahu while in Hawaii. We know we want to see the Pearl Harbor memorial, but besides that - with limited time in Oahu what are the MUST see things?

Thanks!
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:27 PM

Don't miss a sunset from Duke's - it's on the beach in the Outrigger and the drinks and view (and company if you sit at the bar) can't be beat. The food there is good too. If you're into history - take the tour at Iolanii Palace - it's interesting and you'll learn a lot.

Don't pass up Chinatown - the best produce, lei, pastries at great prices.

Also - the International Market Place shouldn't be missed, especially considering its days are numbered because they're tearing it down next year. It's fun to barter with the merchants - NEVER pay the price on the item - they always go lower. Across the street (sort of) is the Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel - the first hotel built on Waikiki. They have an interesting (free) tour three days a week (11 a.m. & 5 p.m., I think). Drinks out under the banyan tree are awesome. Also - take a rest stop at the Moana and chill out in the rocking chairs on the veranda, watching the hustle & bustle of Kalakaua go by.

Of course take a walk on Waikiki Beach - either in the morning or at/after sunset. After sunset you'll hear the music from the different resorts and it's a wonderful experience.

If you have/rent a car - drive up to the North Shore, Kailua, Lanikai Beach and Waimanalao beach to name just a few stops. Also, take a drive up Tantalus for fabulous views. Punchbowl is at the bottom of Tantalus. If you're in to that kind of thing, take a hike up Diamondhead.

And don't forget to spend sometime just relaxing on Waikiki Beach.
Old May 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM

For a classic Waikiki sunset experience, head to the Halekulani poolside. Wonderful Hawaiian music, exceptional hula, and views the length of Waikiki to Diamond Head. Picture postcard stuffs!

International Marketplace is loaded with "made in Japan/China/Bali" products, but if you need to pick up trinkets to take home, this is the place to do it.

Iolani Palace -- the only palace in America, and definitely worth a tour.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM

Hiking Diamond Head is a must!
Old May 24th, 2004, 12:11 PM

While you're out visiting Pearl Harbor, don't miss the Battleship Missouri (Mighty Mo). WWII obviously started at Pearl Harbor, and the surrender of the Japanese on the deck of the Battleship Missouri in Tokyo Harbor brought the war to an end. They're quite close to each other. If you're not taking a tour to see them, get there before 8am, when Pearl Harbor opens, or you'll be on line for a long time.

You can take The Bus or the Waikiki Trolley downtown and see all the historic areas:
The Trolley has the Red Line (Honolulu City Line) goes to other places as well, but these are all in fairly close proximity:
Iolani Palace (make a reservation to see the inside at www.iolanipalace.org) and on Fridays at lunch, the Royal Hawaiian Band plays in the gazebo on the lawn.
State Capitol
King Kamehameha Statue (from here you can also walk to the Mission Houses Museum and the Kawaiahao Church. There are services in Hawaiian and English every Sunday at 8:00am and 10:30am at the church. Free tours are offered weekdays 9am to 1pm and Sunday after the services.)

Old May 24th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Not sure of the times your are arriving and moving on, or if you will have a car, but I would try something like this:

If possible, go to Pearl Harbor on the 1/2 day you have there. If you are planning on having a car, it should be doable. Not srue about public transportation from the memorial to the airport.

Spend one full day touring the island by car (plenty of car rental places in Waikiki). Head up straight up to the North Shore and work your way back along the coast.

Spend the other full day in Waikiki/Honolulu walking around, beach, chinatown, Iolani Palace, etc. Diamond Head is cool, but I wouldn't call it a must. Depends on what you are interested in... but I guess that goes for everything.

Enjoy.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:16 AM

Pearl Harbor and the Missouri (don't miss that) will take up most of one day. With that second day, I would recommend the following:
A) Do nothing. Just spend it on Waikiki;
B) Climb Diamondhead in the morning and spend the rest of the day at the pool or beach;
C) Go to Hanauma Bay. I highly recommend that.
D) If you rent a car, drive to Sunset Beach for, obviously, sunset. Or, spend the whole day driving around the island, going to Lanikai and the north shore on the way to sunset.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 06:13 AM

I also highly recommend USS Missouri Battleship. But, I would go a step further and tell you to pay the extra cost to have a guided tour, specifically the Explorer Tour. Our tour guide's name was Kevin and he was FANTASTIC! Our 90min tour turned into 2hrs and then we stayed even longer on our own. We have 2 kids ages 11 and 12, and they loved it! We were there a total of 5hrs! I know we're crazy! But, it was so interesting.

Another tidbit, the USS Missouri is still owned by the US Navy but a NON-Profit organization maintains her and pays $16,000/month rent to keep her docked where she is! Anyway, the people there at the USS Missouri couldn't have been nicer and just bend over backwards to accomodate you! It was defintely the highlight of our trip!

We took a shuttle service from our hotel to Pearl Harbor and arrived at 7:15am and there was a HUGE line already. We got into the second group to view the movie and so basically no wait once they opened (7:30am open time). You watch a movie first before the water shuttle out to the memorial. Pearl Harbor is free, USS Missouri and USS Bowfin Submarine (which is also right there) charge admissions. You can buy a combo ticket to view the Bowfin and the Missouri at the Bowfin. The Bowfin will only take about 30minutes. Both are worth it!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:15 AM

as everyone else said, get to Pearl Harbor early! also, catch sunset at Duke's on Waikiki, but don't forget to order Hula Pie for dessert (or dinner)
im still dreaming about it...
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM

World War II didn't start in Pearl Harbor. The war started in 1939, more than two years before Pearl Harbor.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:18 PM

I got to Pearl Harbor around 10:30 and there was absolutely no line for tickets. I did have to wait about two hours for my boarding time, but that was no problem. I just went to the Bowfin, grabbed a bite and took some pictures. And definitely take the guided tour of the Missouri.