Search

1st time visitor

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Just observing

1st time visitor

Just back from my 1st trip to NYC and it was awesome! Stayed in Times Square and it was incredible. Did all the 1st time visitor things except Lower Manhattan and that was because we simply ran out of time. We found very friendly people everywhere we went and thought NYC was extremely clean and safe. Went to The Graduate Saturday night and the play was excellent. I highly recommend it. Had dinner after the play at Puleos and it was the best meal of the weekend. Drinks after that at Carmines. Great atmosphere at Carmines and plan to eat there on our next trip. The only thing that really bothered me about the weekend was something I think will offend some people. And that is NOT my intention! I just felt really uncomfortable with what I thought was the commercialization of 9/11. Pictures, mugs, hats, t-shirts, xmas tree ornaments, snow globes, etc. I just don't get it. It made me sad to see images of the debris from the WTC set in a 1000 piece puzzle, WTC before and after photos being hawked on the street. Simply put, why? Aside from that, we plan to return for another weekend in May. Such a great city that has most definitely bounced back!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Annie

Thanks for reporting back from your trip. Glad you enjoyed NYC, the people, food & theater. I too am saddened by the WTC "souvenirs" - seems in poor taste. Some of the items sold earlier (pins etc.) showed support and the funds went to the victims, but to go beyond that is just tacky. Where is Puleos, and what hotel did you stay at?

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Just observing

We stayed at the Sheraton Manhattan. The room was in need of updating, was very small, but I now understand is typical in the city. But come on! The toilet was no more than 4 inches from the bath tub! I guess the hotel itself was okay but I personally would want more luxurious surroundings for my next trip. Puleos was across the street from the Plymouth Theater and the kicthen was open till midnight. Being 1st time visitors we didn't realize you need a reservation for most places. Aside from all the wonderful deli and small pizza places, it was the cheapest meal and by far the best of the entire weekend! We also had dinner at JW's Steakhouse in the Marriott Marquis and the food and service was not worth the $110.00. It was just awful to be honest. We did make note of hotels and resteraunts we would like to try on our next trip and will definitely make advance reservations. Plus, we still have to do everything in Lower Manhattan! I can't wait to explore all the neighborhoods down there. Oh, what's the deal with luggage being sold in practically every store?!

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 08:02 AM
ryan

The way to deal with tacky 9/11 related merchandise is to not purchase it. Eventually, these people will go away.

Glad you enjoyed NY. I think we get a bad rap.

Next time you are in town, come in the summer months. If you are here on a Monday night, the free movies in Bryant Park are a real reflection on why people enjoy living here. Same goes for Central Park on any weekend day.

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 09:11 AM
John K

Hi Just Observing,
Thanks for coming to New York and having a great time and not going down to snap photos and gawk at the death and destruction at the World Trade Center site. Next time you visit please come downtown and dine and sightsee at all of the great places we have here. I'm happy you had fun!!