Search

1st time to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time to NYC

Hello everyone,

Taking a trip with my 7yr old son to NYC to watch the Pinstripe Bowl in Yankees Stadium on Friday afternoon December 30th. We are flying into Newark on Tuesday the 27th and will have all day (scheduled to land at 9:00AM) Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and some time in the morning prior to the game on Friday.
I've spent quite a bit of time reading about things to do and see and have compiled this list so far:
FAO Schwartz
Grand Central Station
Times Square/42nd Street
Rockefeller Center - Top of the Rock and skating
St. Patrick's Cathedral
5th Ave Shops
Macy's 34th Street
Central Park
Empire State Building
Madison Square Garden
Brooklyn Bridge

The Village
World Trade Center
Wall Street/NYSE
Statue of Liberty
Staten Island Ferry
Battery Park
Little Italy/Chinatown
Tribeca/SOHO
Greenwich Village

Am I looking at too much or am I missing anything that should be added to our trip?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Your list will take all your time.

Make a list of what you want to see and do most, so you can at least accomplish that.

If you go to the Top of the Rock you need not go to Empire State Building. And there really is not much to see at MSG, unless they offer a tour.

And if you pass the Statue of Liberty on the ferrt you will save many hours.
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:15 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I would suggest maybe a few more things that might interest a 7 year old. That is a lot to do, for an adult, in a short time period. And it is geared towards you, not the child and since I don't know your child and you do, maybe this will work for you, but you could end up with a very cranky child.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...d-daughter.cfm
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:32 PM

I would think a young boy would be interested in the museum of natural history.

The Statue of Liberty itself is closed; while Ellis Island is interesting, a 7 yr old may not uderstand. With limited time, and long security lines, you may find your time spent better otherwise.

Are you ice skating in general, or to be specific at Rockefeller? If general, I would switch to Bryant Park.

I haven't yet been, but I was just reading that the new location of the Meatball Shop in the West Village has a special kids menu on weekday afternoons.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 03:12 AM

Agree that you have way too many things on your list. Also - most everything is outdoors - which may be a problem both in terms of weather and energy/interest for a 7 year old.

I think you are missing the following that he would love:
Museum of Nat'l Histoy
Zoo in Central Park (seeing the whole park would take a full day)
Intrepid air/sea museum

Also too much walking around neighborhoods (window or real shopping) which will probably bore a 7 year old.

There is nothing to see at MSG unless you go to a game, there is nothing to see at Wall St at all, SoL is closed for renovations and it doesn't make sense to wait hours for ESB when you are already doing the much more convenient TOTR.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 06:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
With a child, I'd skip Macy's 34th St. too. See the Statue of Liberty from a round trip on the free Staten Island Ferry.
For a treat, Dylan's Candy Bar.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 06:35 AM

I agree with previous comments. Add to that this is an exremely busy time of year with huge crowds and everything takes twice as long to do/see as you think it will. I suggest you consider either the "see the best" tour or the holiday lights tour from http://www.onboardnewyorktours.com/n...tour-packages/ as ways to accomplish a lot in a limited time. Whichever you pick, then see which things they don't cover that you and your son would really want to do. Consider going to the Radio City Xmas show. There should be discount tickets available on the left column of broadwaybox.com
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 07:35 AM

GoState,

You'll do OK.. BUT... you do need some tweaks that will save you enough time to make it all (well, almost all) happen:

1) The Staten Island ferry takes you right past the Statue of Liberty. A separate boat trip to the statute itself will eat hours of your limited free time - stick with the ferry and skip a separate trip to the statue.

2) Don't be hesitant to take a taxi - the costs more than pays for itself in time saved. For example: DO take a taxi to the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge, walk toward Manhattan (and the skyline views) then continue your walk to NYSE/World Trade Center area.

3) Pick Empire State Building OR Top of the Rock - not both.

4) There's no reason to go to Madison Square Garden unless you have tickets for a specific event there.

5) Have a definite plan for exploring Little Italy/Chinatown/Tribeca/SOHO/West Village/East village - maybe a series of self-guided walking tours based on your interests that will focus your walks on the highlights of each neighborhood.

6) Central Park - you need to pick which little piece of it you most want to see - to see it all would take you entire trip. Here's one resource - http://www.centralparknyc.org/visit/...-guided-tours/ Again, consider a taxi to the starting point of your walk.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 02:04 PM

Brooklyn Bridge with a 7 year old. He must be quite a trooper. The bridge is long plus the entrance and exit ramps really add to the length. Dec 28/29 will be cold and the bridge is windy. Do you do this kind of walking at home? Remember, NYC is a walking city and people here do so much more foot traffic than suburbs or driving cities.
Nothing much to see in Little Italy and Chinatown, which I love, can seem overwhelming to a little one. My kids loved browsing and buying in the "all kinds of stuff" shops. Plus they sold fire-crackers. But not many kids like food selling in the street as an experience.
The Met museum has self-guided tours and treasure hunts for kids. Most like the Egyptian and Armour exhibits. Take a look online. Plus it is warm in there. The cafeteria is good for kid food.
Think about your kid's day at home and plan NYC around it.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 08:32 AM

If you group things geographically you can accomplish most of your list. I totally agree with the suggestions above to skip Madison Square Garden, SOL/Ellis Island and Empire State building.

One day - take the subway to Battery Park, walk around, then take the Staten Island Ferry ride. After that walk up Broadway - detour down Wall street, continue to City Hall Park (nice park, great fountain). The World Trade Center site is a block from there (to the west), then back to South Street Seaport (to the east). Tall ships, good view of Brooklyn Bridge. The entrance to the pedestrian walkway of the bridge is right across the street from City Hall Park. I would just walk to the middle and back again. Going all the way to Brooklyn you don't see any more and it's that side that is a way from a subway stop (long walk). None of this distance is very far, but all together with all the little detours it will be three or four miles. There are several subway stops around city hall park to get back to your hotel.

Another Day - Start at Grand Central, walk down 42nd street to the Library at the corner of 5th. Peak inside. Bryant Park is behind it - there is ice skating there (much shorter line than Rock Center skating, but if I were in NY for only four days I wouldn't waste my time skating - they are nice to watch for a few minutes though). A block further is Times Square. Back track to 5th Ave and walk up to Rockefeller Center. St Patrick's is across the street. Do the top of the Rock (which has the best views since the Empire State Building is in the view). Continue up 5th Ave to FAO Schwartz. You are now across the street from Central Park. That corner of the park is the best - the stone bridge, the pond and the zoo are all there. With all the little detours this is another 3 miles or so.

Another day - You could explore the areas left on your list - which are the village, Little Italy, Chinatown, SoHo. You list 'the village' and 'Greenwich Village'. They are the same thing. These are great areas to wander around in if the weather is nice but not sure a young child would be all that interested. But you could certainly spend half a day to a whole day in these areas. I think the idea of taking him to the Museum of Natural History would be better though, especially if one of your days is rainy. The other two days are primarily outside/walking tours also so you should have something planned for a rainy/particularly cold day. And you really only have two full days and two half days - even if you arrive at 9 you won't be 'sightseeing' till at least noon or later.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 10:48 AM

Hi GoState,

It has not been stressed enough how incredibly busy and crowded the city is the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. As others have said group activities together geographically. I know you want to do a lot since this is your first trip but if it was me I'd plan to do just one or two things in the morning and one or two in the afternoon, max.

No one mentioned the High Line, which is fun to walk on a nice day: http://www.thehighline.org/

Have fun! There's no place like New York!
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Good tips here, thanks so much. I am taking this all on board for our visit in November 2012.
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the continued advice. I've moved our hotel to the Marriott Marquis so we can hop back in and "hang out" if necessary and I also figured that this would help us on getting around.
Old Dec 14th, 2011, 08:47 AM
TC

First....landing at EWR at 9am will not give you "all day". It will take quite a bit of time to get to your hotel and check in. I wouldn't plan on doing anything prior to noon. Seems a 7 year old would want some lunch then.

I agree with all the others, you just have way too much on your list and really haven't considered how to do it in such a short time, in cold weather, walking A LOT with a small child by the hand. The wind coming through Manhattan can be brutal in December.

NYC IS absolutely magical during the holidays. All of the Xmas windows will still be up, the Radio City Christmas Show runs through January 2, Peter Pan is playing at Madison Sq Gardens until Dec 31. Tickets for Lion King, Mary Poppins? Take in the Museum of Natural History or see the Angel Tree at The Met. Take him to the Hershey's candy store instead of FAO - its a lot of fun and much more affordable. Have lunch at the Brooklyn Diner -- there's one near your hotel. He'll love the old fashioned malts.

My plan with a 7 year old in the winter would be -- breakfast, one activity before lunch like a museum or touring the Christmas windows or Top of the Rock, then someplace fun for lunch, an afternoon rest before a 3:00 pm matinee show, dinner, something short but exciting after dinner (a horse carriage ride, a cyclo ride, Times Square after a show, Hershey's Candy store) or if doing an evening show have a small dinner and then go to a fun place for a big desert after the show. Turn in early and start over again.

Good luck.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 05:36 PM

You have a lot on your list and we are here right now visiting -it is VERY crowded and the streets take a very long time to get down in a cab - walking is faster at this point.

Bryant Park is very nice and has ice skating - my son who lives here said he thinks it might be free? But need to verify that - it was less crowded, larger, and nicer imo - but of course everyone wants rockefeller center =

A silly place to have a desert is Ellen's stardust diner- food is horrible, just have a shake or something - the environment is fun, if you want to rest your feet for a while - and it is close to the Marriott you are staying at http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com/

Just allow a lot of time to get around, I found it to be pretty quiet in the morning - by 10:30 am everything was bustling in the tourist areas but before that not so bad.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Bryant Park skating is free if you have your own skates - skate rental costs something.
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 09:26 PM

Bryant Park skating is free but the skate rental is $14.
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 02:58 AM

Isabel - they get you some place! But very nice for those that have skates?
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Well no one would give you skates for free - how would they support the service?
Old Dec 16th, 2011, 04:31 AM

nytraveler I have no idea

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -