Reload this Page >

1st time in California

Search

1st time in California

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 11:17 AM
fran

1st time in California

My husband and I are traveling to California the third week in Sept. We are flying into SF and seeing the sights, then driving the coast to San Diego. I need hotels ideas and the sights we should not miss. Fran

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 11:30 AM
sharon

September is a wonderful time in San Francisco. It is our summer, so you might even get to wear shorts (although, be sure to bring warm clothes in case the fog rolls in).

While in the city, plan to explore some of the walking tours of the city. My husband and I have lived here for 9 years and still enjoy the walking tours.

Fodor's, San Francisco, has really great restaurant and hotel recommendations - we locals use it all of the time. Also, the top 100 restaurants of the Bay Area are listed on
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl....DTL&type=food

If you have the chance to go up to Sonoma or Napa, there are some great fall festivals that you can attend.

Enjoy!

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 01:28 PM
CynSearch

While in SF go north to see Muir Woods (Redwoods) and stay at the Madrona Inn in Sausalito. On your way south don't miss Carmel and the 17 mile drive in Monterey, and further down in San Simeon make a point of touring the Hearst Castle. You'll be glad you did. Here are some websites of B&B's along the way. If you use and or enjoy any of these please email me back at [email protected] with feedback since I find "unique" lodging for others and am starting a business.
www.casamadronahotel.com/In Sausalito, North of SF
www.innatdepothill.com/In Capitola – by Santa Cruz / a little pricey but lovely
Same webpage/Babbling Brook Inn in Santa Cruz
www.foursisters.com/fstoc.html - Gosby House or Green Gables in Pacific Grove/Monterey area
www.jpatrickhouse.com/In Cambria(Hearst castle)
www.cheshirecat.com/cheshirecat/Home.htm
In Santa Barbara
www.sealbeachinn.com/Near Long Beach in LA

You will love the coastline drive.
Cyn

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 10:31 PM
Diane

In SF I recommend the White Swan Inn on Bush Street. A charming English country inn.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 11:09 AM
Gail

There is a wonderful bike path, right on the beach, in Huntington Beach. You can rent bikes. You will share the path with "you name it" on wheels -- bikes, roller blades, stollers, etc. It is great! A real feel of California.

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 06:15 AM
Marcie

Enjoy Santa Barbara. You can walk up and down State Street (main street in town) and enjoy all the little shops and cafes. It is beautiful with a European flair or eat dinner on the wharf overlooking the Pacific. Monteseto is right next door with many gorgeous homes to oogle at. Santa Barbara is a wonderful area!

Old Sep 8th, 1999, 06:50 AM
SDSam

Just make sure that you leave enough time to enjoy San Diego, "America's Finest City". All of the other suggestions are very good. I live in San Diego and the SF Bay area so I am a strong supporter of both areas though San Diego is my real home. In fact I love California, though I am not too crazy about some of the barren desert areas.

If you wuld be more specific as to your accomodation requiements than I would be happy to reccmmend some places. Do you prefer to be near the beach, downtown, etc. and what price range are you considering?

The must sees are the usual tourist attractions, the zoo, Wild Animal Park, Sea World, Balboa Park, etc. Other areas to see are Coronado, Old Town, Downtown, up the coast through La Jolla, Del Mar, etc. A little jaunt through Rancho Santa Fe will get you drooling.