Search

HowardR - NYC Itinerary Opinion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HowardR - NYC Itinerary Opinion

Hi Howard R,
I am just finalizing the details for my mother's 70th bday trip to NYC. Would love any input you may care to share as well as others with an opinion. She wanted me to focus on theatre and dining...

Staying at The Michelangelo on 51st.

Thursday dinner - Cite
P.M. Seeing Wonderful Town

Friday lunch - GC Oyster Bar
Dinner - db Moderne Bistro
P.M. Seeing Gypsy

Saturday lunch - Carnegie Deli or Wolf's
Matinee - Seeing Thoroughly Modern Millie
Dinner - JUdson Grill
P.M. Seeing Hairspray

Sunday brunch - Trying to decide between:
The River Cafe
Boathouse in Central Park
La Goulue

Thanks!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM

I'll throw out one comment. If you're planning on going to Carnegie Deli for lunch you're going to have to use great restraint if you really think you'll be ready for an early dinner at Judson between the two shows. I'd think about doing a nice mid morning breakfast instead of mind-boggling sized sandwiches or whatever for lunch.

What a list of shows. You'll have permanent smiles on your faces for weeks after those!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick. Actually you make a very good point. It's really more likely to be a late breakfast at say 10ish or 11.

My mother hasn't been to NY in about 15 years and is really looking forward to those shows. She smiles every time we talk about the trip
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:00 PM

We still like Tavern on the Green, Crystal Room for brunch. And we live in NYC!! But River Cafe has better food.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:30 PM
mp

Sounds like a terrific itinerary, and I agree with Patrick - there's nothing more frustrating than looking at a delicious dinner and not be able to enjoy it because you're too full of delicious lunch! Also, if it matters to you - right now, the Grand Central Oyster Bar is involved in a prolonged, difficult labor strike - you will have to cross a picket line to eat there. Downstairs in grand central is a great alternative - lots of good restaurants have offerings in the most sophisticated "food court" in town. Also - if you enjoy that sort of thing, one wing of Grand Central has a "food hall" with wonderfil displays of exotic foodstuffs, spices and such for sale. Great fun to browse. Have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 04:09 PM

You've already gotten some good info before I even had a chance to respond.
Sounds like you've planned a great trip for your mother and I don't blame her for feeling excited.
Collectively your choice of shows is interesting--sort of a retro group, i.e., two revivals and two adaptations of old movies! You'll enjoy them all.
As for your restaurant choices, I agree with the previous posters about Saturday's lunch. Where will you be in the morning? Perhaps you can stop a shop near your morning activity.
If the strike at the Oyster Bar would influence your plans for Friday's lunch at the Oyster Bar, again, maybe a place near where you'll be. You don't mention where you'll be that morning or afternoon.
I'd recommend The River Cafe for Sunday brunch.
Any more questions?
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback folks. We will not be crossing the picket line just to eat oysters at a landmark. I'll need an alternate. I haven't made any plans for Friday during the day and in fact am quite stumped about it. My mother hates to shop, doesn't enjoy walking a lot, is bored at museums or galleries. I often joke and say we can't possibly be related I was considering a spa morning as a possibility.

Saturday morning will be a late breakfast at Carnegie or Wolf's and will then kill time with a little shopping (for me) until show time.

The choice of shows was partially mine. She wanted to see only musicals (I would have preferred two musicals a drama and a comedy), but it's her trip.

Thanks again. All ideas are appreciated.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 08:49 AM

In re-reading my post, I hope that my comment about the shows didn't come off as a criticism. They are all so much fun. The very first day I ever spent in New York I arrived at about 4 AM after riding with other students from my college in Ohio. That day I saw the original production of Mame and that night Hello, Dolly. I smiled for days.

What about doing an open top bus tour of the city on Friday morning? No walking -- no shopping. When are you going? If the weather is nice, it would be a pleasant way to spend the morning.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Patrick. Oh if all posters were as considerate! I didn't take offense at all. I am looking forward to seeing all of these shows except maybe TMM. I just prefer to mix it up a bit.

We'll be there late April, so the bus tour might fit the bill, weather permitting. Also, my mother is a "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire" freak. I am going to see if by chance they tape on Fridays (unlikely but worth a shot). She'd love to go to a taping!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I'm not sure whether you wanted another restaurant serving seafood. If so, I strongly recommend Redeye Grill, located at 56th & 7th Avenue. Excellent for lunch or dinner.
As for something to do other than shopping or visiting museums, how about Circle Line Manhattan cruise or Staten Island Ferry?