Reload this Page >

1st family visit to San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:20 AM
Frank

Hi. My wife and 4 1/2 yo daighter are visiting SD for the first time the week before Labor Day. We are wondering which hotel around the $100-$150 price range that has access to the beaches? We are not getting a car and will rely on taxis. Is it hard to get a taxi at the zoo, Sea World, Gas Light and the Balboa Park? Any thoughts on an what to do first? Thanks.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 10:03 AM
Kelly

San Diego will be great for you and your family. I think if you were interested in the beach you'll want to stay at Lajolla, but I would suggest, especially if you are not planning on renting a car, (which I would suggest you do) is to stay somewhere in Mission Bay. There are some beautiful resorts right on the bay which have it all. My family and I were considering going back this year as well and I have been looking into the paradise point resort. It's right across from seaworld and near other attractions as well. The resort also seems very nice and conducive to families. We were looking for a place for when my 3year old sons takes a nap, my husband and I did not need to stand outside a door in the hallway of a hotel. Paradise Point has single level units with porches where mom and dad can enjoy some sun during naptime. It's not one of the more popular places on this posting board, I think others are Bahia and the Catamaran. I was able to find a rate of $185.00 per night when I was looking 2nd week in August. A little above what you were willing to spend, but it depends on what ammenities you could live with and without.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:06 AM
frank

Thank for the insight. I looked at The Bahia and they were above the range (at least on the website), but I will call and see if they have a lower rate. I would love to get a frig and a microwave or a kitchenette, but not necessary. I want to be able to go to the beach if my dau is bored and needs to recover from a day of zoo, seaworld and legoland. Thanks.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 12:34 PM
xxx

Reconsider your thoughts on the rental car. Try Priceline.com and see if you can get a decent price. I only recommend this because Southern Californians are really into their cars and therefore there isn't a lot of need for taxis. In fact, you rarely see taxis while in San Diego. And we don't have the best public transportation systems, so you can't rely on that either. All that said, San Diego is a great family destination and you're sure to have a blast while you're here.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Kelly

Frank try this website for discounted hotel rates.

http://www.hoteldiscounts.com/

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:12 PM
frank

Thanks for the insight. I'll let you know how the trip goes.

Old Jul 14th, 2001, 03:57 PM
GatorGirl

You might definitely want a car....try www.gaslamp.com for info on downtown and www.sandiego.com for general visitor info. You will love it!