17 Palms-Wailua, Kauai

Search

17 Palms-Wailua, Kauai

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17 Palms-Wailua, Kauai

My family is planning a trip to Kauai in March. Has anyone stayed at the 17 Palms bungalos in Wailua? We will be traveling with our 2 year old and 8 month old and meeting my parents there. The bungalos as shown on www.17palmskauai.com seem very cute and we would be able to rent both for a reasonable price. If anyone is familiar with the bungalos, the beach, or the town of Wailua, please give us your opinion.
Old Nov 9th, 2004, 03:44 PM

Aloha from the north shore of Kaua`i...

I can tell you that the neighborhood includes a small number of small homes, and is bordered by a large shopping center (Coconut Plantation Marketplace), a 2-lane highway, and several condo buildings.

Wailua Bay has some swimmable areas, but in March you'll still be seeing our winter surf conditions -- not conducive to swimming in that area.

Wailua is one of our busy commercial areas -- second only to Kapa`a with regard to traffic. But the plus side of that is, you'll have lots and shopping and dining options within easy walking distance. If you like Japanese food, Kintaro's is a "don't miss" place, just around the corner from the bungalows.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Auntiemaria,
We have now narrowed our choices down to 3 rental homes. One is in Poipu, the other in Kapaa and finally the last one is in Anahola. We are looking for info (pros & cons) on each area. Is Kapaa too commercial? We'd like to be close to shopping and dining, but we don't want to be surrounded by T-shirt shops, etc. We have heard repeatedly that Poipu has the best weather and safer beaches, but the house we are looking at is supposed to be across the street from the Embassy Suites and down the street from the Hyatt. Is this area also too commercial? Finally I saw a post you replied to about Aliomanu Road. This is where "our" house is located, too. Is this area too windy during March, swimming too rough for the kids? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. By the looks of your posts, I think you could write your own book on Kauai!
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 02:45 PM

The Poipu house that is between the Hyatt and Embassy is in a fairly low key, upscale residential neighborhood. There are greenbelts with walking paths and a paved path near the beach. There are restaurants within a 10-15 minute walk or a very short drive.

I am trying to picture where 17 Palms is in Wailua. I am pretty sure this house is on a little residential street across from Kauai Sands. Lots of shopping and dining nearby, but yes, this is a commercial-type location.

Aliomanu area is very un-commercial, all dining and shopping will require a drive.
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 03:06 PM

trotter007:

There is no guarantee of weather anytime here in the islands, but we're still deep in "winter surf" conditions in March. With those young children wanting beach time at that time of year, head for Po`ipu. Nice "baby beach" near the area you've mentioned -- definitely safe for the kids.

Re: Aliomanu -- lovely area, but in March the surf there is notorious for riptides and undertows.