Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

13 nights for Hawaii honeymoon: Spending 7 in Maui, pair it with Big Island or Oahu?

Search

13 nights for Hawaii honeymoon: Spending 7 in Maui, pair it with Big Island or Oahu?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI,
My fiance and I will be headed to Hawaii for our first visit for our honeymoon in August for 13 nights. We have the last 7 nights booked at the Maui Hyatt, but am still deciding on how to split up the first 6 nights. We are definitely flying into HNL...I am wondering if we should just stay in Oahu for one night to see Waikiki Beach and Pearl Harbor and head out to the Big Island for 5 nights, or if we should just stick to Oahu for the entire 6 nights. Because we are coming from the East Coast, who knows when we'll ever make it back? So, would you suggest Oahu or BI for a first time visitor?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:00 PM

All the islands have something to offer. Actually I like your idea of a short duration in Honolulu to at least see PH then on to the BI. Have you considered Kauai as well instaed of the BI?
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:05 PM

I think I'd do 2 nights on Oahu and then 4 on the Big Island. Pearl Harbor is definitely worth seeing and then going to the Big Island will give you the opportunity to see the volcano which I believe is fairly active. (Check that out though by logging on to the park site.) Have a great time!
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:19 PM

My wife did a honeymoon there and returned for a second trip.

She recommends that you spend the majority of the balance of your time on Kauai and the a few days (2 or 3) on the Big Island, if you feel the need to experience the touristy part of Hawaii
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM

What worked for us was to connect through HNL to the Big Island (or Maui) on the way there, but on the last day (or whenever you want to depart Maui or Big Island) take the first interisland flight (alot of airlines partner with Hawaiian Airlines to make booking easy) in the morning from Maui or Big Island to HNL, rent a car and do Pearl Harbor visit first thing in the morning before it gets crowded, then head over to Waikiki. Later in the evening, catch the return flight from HNL to the mainland.

We are also from the east coast and were married and honeymooned on Kauai, and suggest you consider spending some time there as well. Oahu (HNL-airport) is the easiest to reach and least expensive Hawaiian island to visit, you can always spend more time there for your upcoming anniversary visit for example. Congratulations and feel free to ask questions!