Notices

12 hours in LA

Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 hours in LA

We transit LA from Washington DC on the way home to Australia, arriving at LAX at noon and leaving at around midnight the same day.
Ideas about how to spend this time would be appreciated. I am nervous about the idea of leaving the airport at all and missing the flight home - a bit irrational I know as we have a long layover. I don't mind either getting a hotel at the airport as a base or booking the luggage into an airport locker. Whatever others have done or found useful or can suggest will be of interest to me.Thanks.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:10 AM
lvk

Because of security concerns, I don't think that there are any lockers at LAX. I'm not sure how much luggage you have, but it could definitely be a hindrance. There are tour companies who will pick you up at LAX or an LAX hotel. The one I've seen recommended the most is:
http://www.starlinetours.com/AL_tour_1.asp?al=L
They have tours varying in scope and time.

You can also hire a limousine or towncar for about $50/hour Most have 3 hour minimums. (Might be cheaper than a hotel & tour) That way, you can leave your luggage in the auto with the driver. It will also allow you to customize your sightseeing.

You don't say what you would be interested in seeing. Museums?, Beaches? Shopping? Hollywood? You'll encounter lots of traffic along the way, but at least you will endure it with style and comfort (and a beverage or two )
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 07:55 AM
mpf

There is a website with hotels near LAX, and a listing for day rates. Perhaps you can email them with your questions.

www.airportstay.com

You can rest and enjoy dinner at the hotel or sit by the pool. Or, talk to the concierge for a place to eat/walk at the beach, and take a taxi for a few hours. Venice Beach is 5 miles, and Santa Monica about 8 miles. Be sure to have a phone number with you for a taxi for the way back to your hotel.

Or, rent a car for a few hours, for a short trip to the beach, and skip the hotel.

Old Jul 24th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Original Poster

I think a visit to one of the beach areas like Santa Monica would be of interest. The car hire (and beverages!) sounds like a great idea. Would I have to organise that before getting to LAX, any recommendations?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:33 PM
lvk

You should probably book it in advance. I do not have a specific company to recommend. Perhaps you can post a new thread entitled "Los Angeles Limousine Companies/Tours". I'm sure someone in Fodorland can help you.

You would have time to cruise up to Hollywood, then along Sunset Blvd to the Pacific Coast Highway. You then could turn right and head up the coast to Malibu, or turn left and enjoy Santa Monica before heading back to LAX.

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 02:08 PM

Carnival Car or Black & White.