Search

11-days in Oregon: Itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11-days in Oregon: Itinerary help

Hello,
We will be travelling to Oregon (for the first time) on August 24th - September 4th and need suggestions/help with our itinerary. We love outdoors and on this trip would like to enjoy nature, wineries, food and charming towns. We are on the budget, thus, need to stay in motels and possibly combination of camping?

Here is what we have so far. We need help with suggestions how much time to spend in each place, towns and places to stay overnight and best roads to take to the next destination in order to maximize our experiences in this beatiful state.

Day 1- Arrival to Portland PM
Day 2 - Porltand
Day 3 - Bend, where we are attending a wedding
Day 4 - Bend: white water rafting
Day 5 - Crater Lake: where to stay overnight?
Day 6 - driving to Eugine to explore the wineries of Willamette Valley.
Day 7 - Coast: Cape Perpetua via Florence? where to stay overnight?
Day 8 - Coast: Oswald West State Park, Manzanita. where to stay overnight?
Day 9 - Coast: Cannon beach, Ecola state park. where to stay overnight?
Day 10 - Columbia River Gorge. Overnight in Hood River
Day 11 – Mt. Hood area. More hiking
Day 12- Flying out of Portland at 10 PM

We are contemplating whether we should drive to Ashland after Crater Lake or to Eugine to explore wineries. What would you suggest?
And then from the wine country, what would be the best itinerary for the 3 days on the coast? We would like to capture the best of Oregon coast, maybe some hiking to see the dramatic views and staying in smaller fisherman towns, as suppose to touristy places such as Yachats and Cannon? If so, which ones? Also, after Cannon Beach, should we drive to Columbia River Gorge via farmland of the Willamette Valley?

Thank you very much for all the suggestions in advance!
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM

You are traveling at a busy time--the sooner you book rooms the better.

At Crater Lake we like to stay at historic Crater Lake Lodge. If you are told it's booked, keep trying--we have always found a cancellation.

On the coast between Florence and Astoria, we like to stay in Yachats, Newport, or Cannon Beach.

In Yachats we stay in an Ocean view room at Fireside Motel, which is well operated by the people who own the adjoining more expensive Overleaf Lodge. In Newport, we book an ocean front room at Hallmark Inn, and in Cannon Beach we used to stay at Scooner's Cove, but it wasn't up to stuff on our last visit.

In Hood River, the top floor, river-facing rooms in the new wing of the Best Western are the best in town.

Also, after Cannon Beach, should we drive to Columbia River Gorge via farmland of the Willamette Valley? This drive can be very annoying. It goes through lots of towns and seems to take forever.

HTTY
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM

More wine down in the Rogue Valley than Eugene, and Ashland is exactly what you're looking for.
Just 90 minutes SW. I'd headoverto the coast and hit the Redwoods, then head North. Plenty of food and camping.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 03:22 AM

I grew up over the hill from Ashland (in Klamath Falls) - and it's a very cute college town - with good resataurants, etc - and if you are a Shakespeare fan - consider the fabled Oregon Shakespeare outdoor theater by Lythia (sp) park.

But - Eugene is the best University town in Oregon (sorry BBQboy) - and there are three of my favorite wineries just west of there - King Estate, Hinman/Sylvan Ridge (good picnic area overlooking the vinyards) and Sweet Cheeks - and then you are within an hour of Florence.

During grad school at U of O - waaaaay back in the late 60's - on a Sat night - we threadbare students used to sometimes drive over to Florence (gas was cheap) - and buy a crab, some good sourdough bread, a six pack of your favorite beverage and go build a fire on the beach. Didn't get any better than that.

As for the drive up the coast from Florence to Lincoln City - perhaps the prettiest part of the Oregon Coast - and I like the Surfrider Resort just south of Lincoln city at Depoe Bay - where you might see whales from your room. http://surfriderresort.com/

From Lincoln City - you can continue on up the Coast - or get back to Portland in less than two hours if you have to bug out.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 03:26 AM

Forgot to mention that if Crater Lake Lodge is full - try nearby Diamond Lake. And if you want to catch some big, beautiful Rainbow Trout - ask around for a guide. I caught a stringer (limit of 5) of big, beautiful Rainbow trout (19" to 24" long and you shudda seen da one dat got away) - in about an hour and had them on ice for the rest of my trip - and they made great gifts to my friends along the way.

http://www.diamondlake.net/
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 07:44 AM

Eugene isn't a town it's a city.
I love Eugene-my daughter goes to school there, but I'm assuming
these folks are coming from Boston and it would be a shame to miss the Redwoods and the South Coast which I think is the best part of the coast.
Lots more than 3 wineries down here, Tom.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 07:54 AM

From Portland I would do the Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood on the way to Bend. From the coast, return to Portland.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mksfca/...7622981132189/