COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

10-11 Day trip in Southern CA

Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

10-11 Day trip in Southern CA

My husband and I (late 20s) want to take a 10-12 day trip through CA in July or August. I'm still at a beginning stage of planning. Here's things I would love to incorporate:

-San Francisco (+Napa Valley)
-Yosemite
-Sequoia
-Drive down to LA via #1

I know Yosemite needs at least 3 days to do it any justice, but I really want to see the big redwoods in Sequoia as well. San Fran is a must because we have family there to visit and Napa Valley would be appreciated by my husband! I think driving down the 1 would be tons of fun and my husband would appreciate seeing LA- Hollywood sign, etc.

Any suggestions for itinerary? Would we be able to fit everything in?
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Sorry a little more info- we can fly into and out of any major airport. We prefer airports that service Delta because we have miles with them. We can fly into and out of different airports.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 05:15 AM

I believe the most logical routing for your wish list is this loop: Los Angeles, San Francisco (via Highway 1), Napa Valley, Yosemite NP, Sequoia and Kings Canyon NPs, Los Angeles.

HTtY
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:00 AM

If you prefer driving Rt. 1 southbound (I do), fly to SFO and reverse HTtY's route. See the Coast Redwoods about 50 to 80 miles south of San Francisco.
Are you spending any time in LA?
You will see the difference in the trees (Sequoias) in Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP.
See if you can get lodging inside Yosemite NP.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 06:38 AM

Cut a day from Yosemite if you are not doing much hiking. Save another day by skipping Napa and do winetasting on your way north/south. Nice wine growing areas all along your route. Paso Robles, Santa Ynez near Santa Barbara, Monterey County.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Okay so does this seem like a good plan:

Fly into San Fran (3 days) see city, Muir woods(?), Napa if time permits.
Day 4- drive to Yosemite. Two-three days in Yosemite.
Day 6- drive to Sequoia. One night in Sequoia
Day 7- in evening drive to San Luis Obispo
Spend night in SLO
Day 8- Visit SLO/wineries- Paso Robles
Spend night in SLO
Day 9- Drive to LA
Day 10, 11- in LA, fly out of LAX
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 12:40 PM

You can see redwoods in Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park about 9 miles from Santa Cruz, Muir Woods can get crowded and has limited parking.
Stay one night Monterey or Carmel and one night Cambria to visit the Paso Robles wineries. San Luis Obispo is not on the coast and I prefer to stay on or very near the coast.
You can see the Hollywood sign (have never understood the attraction, but I live in the LA area) from the shopping center at Hollywood and Highland close to Walk of Fame, Chinese Theater, etc. or Griffith Park. Hollywood itself if interested only takes 1-2 hours max.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 01:36 PM

If either of you are acrophobic, as I am, driving north through some of the most scenic parts of Hwy 1, south of Monterey, will be preferable, especially for the passenger.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Do you think we should just skip Sequoia? I really want to see the redwoods, it's something I've always wanted to do. Seems like there are plenty of places to see the coastal redwoods that aren't quite so far out of the way. We live on the east coast and I have to say I'd be disappointed not seeing some huge trees. I do have a friend in Monterey where we could stay. Also I've heard the best portion of the 1 is beteen Monterey and SLO.

In LA we'd want to do touristy stuff- walk of fame etc. I've been before and found it underwhelming but I know my husband really wants to see those things. He's a big movie fan.
Old Mar 3rd, 2016, 04:15 PM

Do you think we should just skip Sequoia?

There is so much to do in California. If you skip Sequoia NP you'll have time to explore the places in LA that interest you husband, check out Historic Highway 49 on your way between San Francisco and Yosemite, take a tour at Hearst Castle in San Simeon, and so on.

HTtY
Old Mar 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply.

I know there's tons to do and 10 days is certainly not enough time to do the state justice. I guess we'll see if we can compromise on some things.

Thanks!