Reload this Page >

1 night Sonoma, 2nights healdsburg - please help with itinerary

Notices

Old May 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So excited for first time to Wine Country! Right after landing in SFO around noon, we have our first night booked in Sonoma, then the following 2 nights in Healdsburg. Our final night will be near SFO for early morning flight. I've gotten so much information on many posts here(which is how we settled on healdsburg), but still need lots of help! 2 main questions: 1 - Would love to incorporate the coast and Armstrong Redwood - which day would that make most sense? If possible, please provide route
2. As much as we both love wine, we are probably not as knowledgeable as most of you. Can you help narrow our choices of wineries/valleys with these factors: - the beauty of the winery itself, and the drive getting there. Again, any routes you can provide would be awesome!!

Any must sees/do/eats,please do share -thank you all in advance!
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM

If it were me, and I wanted to visit the coast and Armstrong Woods, I'd just stay in Healdsburg and save Sonoma for another visit.

If you really want to spend the first night in Sonoma, you'll want to spend the next day exploring wineries and then leave for Healdsburg. Whatever you do, don't get on 101 to Healdsburg during rush hour. The traffic will be terrible.

With two remaining days, you can visit armstrong Woods and Sonoma Coast State Beach for one day and some wineries the other day. If you visit Armstrong Woods and the coast on your way back, you'll be able to skip a bit of 101 on your drive south. Whichever way you do it, drive back to San Francisco after rush hour.
Old May 29th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Shanti. I'm thinking visiting Armstrong and the coast makes sense on the way back. That would be on a saturday - would the traffic be better then? After stops in Armstrong, Sonoma Coast State Beach, and Bodega bay, is it better to get on 116 and 101, or should we stick to the coast all the way to the tamalpais-homestead valley area?
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:09 AM

Driving shouldn't be a problem at all on a Saturday, unless there's a bad traffic collision.

I don't think you'll have enough time to drive all the way down the coast. I strongly recommend taking at least a short walk at Armstrong Woods. It's an incredible feeling to walk under the redwoods. And that will take some time, but the only way to truly get a feel for it (IMHO) is to take your time there. And you should get out of the car and walk a bit at Sonoma Coast, too. And 101 is a slooowww drive. So I don't think it's feasible to drive 101 all the way.

Also, make time to enjoy the view of the Golden Gate Bridge if the weather cooperates. Take the turnoff to Marin Headlands and savor the view.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Definitely plan on taking time to walk around, can not wait to see those wonderful trees!thanks again Shanti!

Welcoming more responses to wineries - any particular ones that are particularly beautiful? Suggestions on loops to take both from Sonoma and Healdsburg?
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Was just there a few weekends ago & visited a bunch of wineries recommended by a SF wine distributor friend. A gorgeous drive and free or cheap tastings of really spectacular wines. Favorites were Imagery (great wines - try the Lagrein -- and a few snacks in a lively tasting room.), Kaz (smallest commercial vineyard run by a kooky guy & his family but delicious wines, fun atmosphere), Loxton (a bare bones tasting room but free tastings and had a delicious memorable port), and Matrix. On a previous trip, actually really liked the Coppola winery. So much fun memorabilia and a great tasting room. Gorgeous vineyard. Maybe check out the websites for the wineries? Should give you info on winery visits, types of wines, awards, etc.
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:44 AM

Also, if you're looking for food recommendations, there are great ones in this thread from an very helpful, awesome Fodorite.... http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-necessary.cfm
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

MM - thank you for your suggestions, and for the food link - we are definitely foodies.
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:00 PM

Be sure to make a reservation for Scopa in Healdsburg for dinner one night. Casual but wonderful Italian. I'd also make a reservation for a tour at Frog's Leap Winery...great, low key tour with wonderful wines. Sterling is beautiful to look at for the sights as you take a gondola up to visit the winery itself. You are also near Ferrari Carrano which has some beautiful grounds.
cheers,
CC