1 night LA???

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 night LA???

Hola again! We arrive on 12/25 (!) 4pm LAX.

What are the MUST see/do we can actually do between 4pm-11pm , which is when we want to arrive at the hotel in Studio City? We have a car rented.

Next morning we get up bright & early and head to Universal Studios with our 6 y/o.

Thanky!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Aw c'mon Fodies, please share your VALUABLE ideas on this! Gracias!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:56 PM

wow, that's a tough one, because most everything will be closed, including most of the good restaurants.
I'd suggest then, sightseeing -- driving around Beverly Hills, walking around Graumann's Theater in Hollywood, or a beautiful drive up the Malibu coast if it's a pretty day.
The one decent thing about arriving in LA on 12/25 is that the traffic should be light.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:27 PM

ok.. you are getting into LAX at 4 PM.. and your Hotel is in Studio City correct... you will most likely get to your hotel at about 5:30-6 PM if the Gods favor you.. Christmas traffic is hit or miss on the Sepulveda Pass... Just so you know.. In LA most everyone I know attends a movie on Christmas day.. The Hollywood/Highland option seems like your best bet to me. If you were to do that, then I would suggest checking in at your hotel (see how your 6 YO is fairing), then head back across the 101/Hollywood Fwy and getting off at Highland Ave (a few stops past where you would get off for Universal Studios) Not too far by LA standards. Once at Hollywood/Highland you can walk around the mall, see the dodgy costumed characters and take a few pics of the Hollywood sign through the giant elephants.. see the hand prints in the Grauman's courtyard and it will be full of activity with many restaurants etc. That is what I would do! Have fun
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say go to your hotel,(taking the long-scenic-route-through-Beverly-Hills,) walk or drive over to the Metro parking lot (across from Universal Studios)...and take the subway one stop down to Hollywood and Highland to see the walk of Fame/ souvenir shops etc. You could dine somewhere in the Hollywood Highland complex (if anything's open) and take the train back to Universal. 6 year olds love train rides.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Ho Ho Ho! Thanky all!

Okay, say we want to drive to some attraction(s) up to 1 hour away from Studio City (where we will sleep that night 12/25) straight out of the airport, then go back to Bev. Hills, Graumanns's and possibly Highland/Hollywood, what would you suggest?
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
Original Poster

Pretty please?
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 04:44 AM

Consider that it will be nearly dark by the time you get out of the airport and rental agency.

How about the Christmas lights in Griffith Park?

http://losangeles.about.com/od/photo...olightfest.htm
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM

A prize for mlgb for the best idea so far...!

Gpaul, your possibilities are limited by (1) the day (Xmas) and (2) the time (after dark by the time you're out of the airport in your car). The Edison light show is always lots of fun. Hollywood/Highland is an idea as well.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Kudos to mlgb! Definitely heading to Griffith as we get out of LAX!

What/where is Edison Light Show?

Gracias!!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM

Actually, I meant the light show at Griffith Park. I forgot that it's LA DWP that puts it on-- for some reason, I thought Edison was sponsoring it (I don't live in LA Metro and Edison is our power provider).

You may want to grab a nice dinner on the way to Griffith Park....
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Okidoki! We're staying at a Comfort Inn 1710 W. 7th , near Universal. Any sights around that area for that night? Or early (7am) on 12/26?
Old Dec 4th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Actually the light show is pretty darn close to Universal. Get on the 5 FWY S and get off at Los Feliz Blvd., You will head right and then take your first right into Griffith park (follow the other cars and the signs)..
Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Darn you're good! And Nice! Gracias!
Old Dec 16th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Back again, hola!

Read some disheartening reviews about the Griffith light show.

Just in case, any other Xmas display to take our kid on 12/25, after arriving at LAX @4pm?
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM

There is no 7th Street in Studio City and 7th Street in Los Angeles is not close to Universal, and actually not a very good area. What is the phone number of your hotel, perhaps I can research it better?

The light show is perfect for a 6yr old at Griffith Park...but park the car by the zoo and walk the length of the show.
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

tracys2cents, much obliged! Phone is 213 616-3000.

Gracias for positive remark for Griffith.

Question: How about exit airport ~ 5pm, drive to and around Venice, then Santa Monica, and end up in Griffith. After Griffith, to Grauman's, Highland, and on to Hotel, Good/Bad?

Thanky!
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That Comfort Inn is down near MacArthur Park and not a place you'd want to be even for one night in my opinion. The Comfort Suites Hollywood (on Highland)is well worth the extra $25 per night and you can walk a block and a half to the subway up to Universal instead of doing the drive and dealing with the parking. If you MUST stick to the $65 budget range than I think Econo Lodge on 7000 Sunset Bl is a bit better choice than your Comfort Inn. I hope you haven't prepaid and can cancel.

I don't know how much there will be to "see" driving through Venice and Santa Monica on Christmas night. But a drive up through Beverly Hills, maybe find someplace open to catch a bite to eat near Restaurant Row or Rodeo Drive, the drive into Hollywood shouldn't have much traffic, then you could check into your hotel and head for Griffith Park. The show stops at 10pm and you can show your son a preview of the lights he will see here: http://losangeles.about.com/od/photo...plights3_4.htm
Old Dec 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Dear Gpaul, NOPE DO NOT stay near MacArthur Park.. yikes.
pay the extra 25 and stay in at the hotel near Universal.

The lightshow at Griffith IS rather cheesy, but that is half the fun,! LA is kinda cheesy.. at least is easy close to where you want to be....
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Holy Moly! Just read the reviews, THANKS to you great Fodorites. Cancelled ipsofacto!

How about Hollywood Days Inn, 5410 Hollywood Blvd., how's that area?

The rate is even lower than that disgusting Comfort Inn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information