Search

1 night in Austin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 night in Austin

Driving from McAllen northbound. We've stopped in Austin off & on over the years on our drives to/from Mexico, but only along I-35 due to time contraints. On this trip, If we were to stay in the city, what part of town should we consider? Probably not looking for a lot of nightlife, but maybe where we can grab a craft beer or 2.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 10:20 AM

Hi bald0ne

An Austinite will probably have better ideas than I will, but just to say I have stayed in two different neighbourhoods, at a B&B that no longer exists in the Clarksville area just west of downtown and at the quite unique Austin Motel on South Congress Ave. I found the Clarksville neighbourhood had some charming homes and was quite hilly. South Congress was a busy street, main plus being there was the proximity to the bat-viewing spot. Of the neighbourhoods I’ve checked out, with just one night, I think I’d aim downtown not far from the Capitol to get a sense of the city’s pulse. My favourite thing about Austin is some of the nature trails near Barton Springs but that is perhaps best saved for a longer visit in warm weather.

Have a great visit whatever you decide! Daniel
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 05:58 AM

Maybe try to find a hotel/motel near Barton Springs which is pretty cool if my memory serves me right? The Austin Beer Garden Brewing Company is not far from Ziker Park which has Barton Springs. The higher crime areas are in eastern and southeastern Austin and it has a very visibile homeless population.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 06:22 AM
P_M

If staying near I 35 is important, the Central Brewing District is at 417 Red River, just a few blocks west of I35. There are some nice hotels in the area, including Hyatt House and Hotel Indigo. You might check that area for a hotel that suits you.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 08:29 AM
P_M

I posted a suggestion a couple of hours ago but it went into moderation. Please stand by.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

I did drill down on Google to the Capitol area Daniel suggested and coincidentally also found Central Brewing; good to have confirmation that it's a good place. Right now, leaning towards La Quinta across from the Capitol since we can bring our cat. And it's fairly priced, given we'll be away for a month or more. Probably be passing through Austin again on our return trip. Thanks all.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 09:30 AM

Stay south of the river.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 01:50 PM
P_M

Originally Posted by bald0ne
I did drill down on Google to the Capitol area Daniel suggested and coincidentally also found Central Brewing; good to have confirmation that it's a good place. Right now, leaning towards La Quinta across from the Capitol since we can bring our cat. And it's fairly priced, given we'll be away for a month or more. Probably be passing through Austin again on our return trip. Thanks all.
LaQuinta is always a good choice for an affordable, pet friendly stay. Enjoy your time in Austin.