1.5 days each Mt. Ranier and ONP

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for all the posts-but this is a last minute trip and I don't have alot of time to research! We will be leaving for the area this Sat. We will be spending 1.5 days each at Mt. Ranier and ONP(possibly 2 days in ONP). I know this is not nearly enough time for either but can anyone suggest the best areas for us to wander in. We are very outdoorsy(even built our own kayaks-but cannot bring them ofcourse) So we love to hike/bike/kayak. I guess I'm looking for a good place in each area to base ourselves. We can either camp/stay in a Lodge and we will have a car.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 08:42 AM

With your limited time, I suggest you pick one destination, not two. For diversity, the Olympic National Park would be my choice. Since you have no reservations for one of the busiest weekends of the year, I suggest you consider camping.

For camp sites, go to the web site for the park. Also, check if the Hood Canal Bridge will be open all weekend. It has been closed for repairs for various weekend periods this summer.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Interesting thought. Are they(Mt. R and ONP) basically the same. I know ONP is a lot bigger and all. What would we be missing if we didn't go to Mt. Ranier-are they the same kind of hiking trails and beauty to see? Sorry for the vagueness-I'm really clueless -we usually have a long time to prepare for our trips. We would be camping/ staying in the Lodges during the week of Sept 29th not on the weekends.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:58 AM

No, they aren't the same. ONP is noteworthy for its diversity-wilderness beaches, rainforests and mountains. The mountains are very pretty but not as spectacular or dramatic as Rainier. If you are most interested in mountain scenery, go with Rainier, if you want the other stuff too, go with ONP.

Honestly, you don't need to do that much research-the park websites have great info, and a stop at the visitor's center will answer your last minute questions. September is a great time to go, btw-there will be fall color (esp. at Rainier), few people and a good chance of seeing elk.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 10:42 AM

ONP is big and requires a lot of driving to see all the various features (mountains, rain forests, tide pools).
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 09:57 PM

I think you should simplify, but don't compromise. Both are doable to limited degree. I would not pass up Mt. Rainier. Happy is right that you have a lodging problem if you try to stay at the resort lodges. Instead, you could in one of the towns within driving distance to Paradise so you can go up in the morning and take some of the nature trails. You could even stay in Olympia from where Paradise is shorter than two hours. Take highway 510 through Yelm to highway 7. Return to Olympia after a full day and stay overnight. The next day you can drive to the southwest corner of the Park and visit Lake Quinault and maybe continue to the ocean at Kalaloch. If you can't find lodging, return about an hour to Aberdeen. The next day choose a hike. I like the Staircase vicinity north of Shelton, but there are many great day hikes. Three days is a reasonable sampler of both Rainier and ONP. Clearly ONP has more hot spots from the north end, but I would not trade Rainier for them.