Olympic: Which trails?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm only going to be able to hike for two days in OMP in August. I'd like to hit the Lake Crescent area, Sol Duc, Hurricane Ridge, and Hoh Rain Forest. Which of these can I reasonable cover in two days?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 11:02 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Personal taste will make the difference. If it was me, I'd go for the one thing that sets Olympic NP apart from numerous other mountain/forest national parks - the rainforest. So go Hoh.
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 10:20 PM
mlc

I've done several backpacking trips in this area, and although I love the Hoh, you'd get the most bang for your buck by heading up to the Seven Lakes Basin area out of Sol Duc. The views from the top of the ridge are spectacular, including looking down onto the Hoh and views of Mt. Olympus, which is not visible from many places in the park. The Seven Lakes Basin area is awesome. If you do the Hoh, you'll be walking along a pretty river on a flat trail for several miles with occassional glimpses of mountains, but you can get that in many places. Hurricane Ridge is also amazing in terms of incredible views of snow capped mountain peaks and great valleys. From some lookout points you can see down to Port Angeles, over to Canada , the Strait of Juan de fuca, etc. Seven Lakes will be all of your two days easily, Hurricane Ridge can easily be done in a day.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:43 AM

I'd go with Hoh definitely, and then Hurricane Ridge, but it might depend on what you've seen and done in the past. Lake Crescent is beautiful, but there are many nat'l parks that have beautiful lakes (yellowstone etc.)

Hurricane Ridge also offers stunning views but again, there are many lovely mountain ranges in america.

However, there is only one rainforest (that i know of!?) and it is definitely worth seeing. Its also an easy hike, which will allow time to drive to or from another area of the NP, which is spread over the olympic pennisula. Whatever you end up doing will be memorable! Enjoy!
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:48 AM

Another vote for the Hoh rainforest-beautiful hike!