Search

1/2 or Full Day Excursions in West FL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1/2 or Full Day Excursions in West FL

Hi,

We are heading to Sarasota/Siesta Key for 8 days in July with our three kids... 18, 15, and 11. We were thinking of taking them on a 1/2 or full day sailing/boating tour. We did something similar to this a few years ago in Mexico where they took us snorkeling, sight seeing, served lunch and beverages, and ended with parasailing/tubing,spinnikers (I think that was the correct term).

Is there anything similar to this in the Sarasota area? Any suggestions for good companies and rates?

Thanks!
Old Jun 30th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Mote Marine for educational, hands on boat tours:

http://www.sarasotabayexplorers.com/

Le Barge for lunch, dinner, dancing, sunsets cruises

http://www.lebargetropicalcruises.com/

South bridge marina on Siesta Key offers parasailing and all the other stuff.

There is also a wave runner, kayak rental place in city park just few yards away from Le Barge pier.

Boat rentals everywhere.

For fishing, charter boats galore - downtown bay area is probably the best area to look for a good deal on that.

Have a wonderful trip to my city. Who knows? I may bike right by you when you're boarding the Le Barge. I live across the street.
Old Jul 1st, 2009, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure we will be there! Thanks for sharing ideas for your city - it is much appreciated!
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Well crap! I just called the place I was going to book with for the full day excursion that included snorkeling, shelling, tubing, sailing and drinks and it's out of clearwater! Any suggestions for a boating excursion that is longer than the typical 2 hour one's offered in Sarasota Bay?
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:24 AM

The only suggestion I have is to find a charter boat. Even though they primarily do fishing charters, the captains are not exactly doing brisk business at the moment. There were always few that did a family/friends/fun cruise outings but now you probably will find that just about all of them do it. They know the waters around here, they know the fun spots, and perhaps you can throw in some fishing into the whole deal.

Anyways, for starters try these 2 sites for more info:

www.siestakeychamber.com

www.sarasotafl.org

I will try to collect some numbers of the charter boats as I do my daily exercises around the bay. Not sure if it will be today as it's raining again, heavily!!!

Don't just look at their websites. Many will have fishing options only listed on their sites. Call and talk directly with the owner/captain. If s/he won't do it, they may recommend somebody that will. They all know each other.

I don't know of any big ship type of excursion offering all the fun things in 1 package.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 08:35 AM

Janelle,

Too bad you can't change your posting title - it is a little confusing.

Sarasota/Siesta Key is Southwest Florida.

West Florida is Pensacola, Panama City, Tallahassee.

It's possible that some people who could help might not look at it because of the title.
Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

janelle, what was the name of the excursion from Clearwater? Or have you found one in Sarasota? We will be in Clearwater and Sanibel Island in July, and would like to find one that will take 3 of us.