Reload this Page >

1/2 day float trip, Page, AZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM
FLmom

I'm making final arrangements for our summer "wild west adventure" and I'm having difficulty booking the 1/2 day float trip from Glen Canyon Dam to Lees Ferry. All links point to Wilderness River Adventures, managed by ARAMARK out of Page.

I've called Lake Powell Resorts, also managed by ARAMARK, and they said, "they don't book for Wilderness River Adventures anymore", and gave me a phone number to try. OK; but that number has been disconnected.

I've been to Wilderness River Adventures website and found another number to try. I got an answering machine, left a message, but no call back. What's bothering me is that their website is setup differently than what I found when I first started researching last June. They make no mention of float trips of any kind, only multi-day whitewater adventures.

Could someone who knows that area, or has any insight on what’s going on fill me in please? Thanks Guys!

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM
FLmom

ttt

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, I couldn't find it on the Wilderness Website either. The Lake Powell website probably is information form last year and needs to be updated.

I called the Wilderness Adventure toll free number 800-992-8022 and got a recording that they were helping other customers and to leave a message. I didn't leave a message but I did email them at [email protected] to ask if they still did the 1/2 day float trip. I'll let you know if I find out anything.

It will be really sad if they cancelled this kind of trip.

Utahtea

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:41 AM
FLmom

Hi Utahtea - I know, we'd be pertty bummed if we can't go. I also e-mailed to the address on the website so we'll see. I'll let you know when I hear from them...

Another idea I had was to contact the closest AAA office (I'm a member), maybe in Phoenix, and see if they can help. I sometimes visit Frommers TravelTalk, so today I copied this post there. They've got some regular AZ posters over there, it's worth a shoot.

Talk to you soon...so very glad to have you back on the boards my dear.

Linda

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:43 AM
FLmom

That would be... worth a shot!

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 09:51 AM

I called the 800 number a few months ago for info. I am still deciding whether do the half day float in the AM or afternoon. I know the AM would be cool/cold, but we are scheduled to drive to Sedona that day after the float trip, and that's a long drive if we leave after the afternoon trip.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
FLmom

Hi karens - So are you saying they do call back eventually? and they do still offer the float trip? That would be really great news!

Our plans have us coming up from Cameron and taking the Antelope Slot tour in the AM and the float trip in the PM. You've given me hope...thanks karens!

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM

FLmom - I got them "live" when I called and they gave me the info.

The Antelope slot canyon is amazing. We didn't get to do the float trip last visit, so I am looking forward to it in April.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:58 PM

I haven't heard back from my email yet. I wonder if calling locally like to the Page Tourism Bureau would be of help.

http://www.pagelakepowellchamber.org...ism_bureau.htm

Utahtea

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 03:23 AM
FLmom

Great idea, thanks for the link. I'll call them today and see what I can find out...

Old Jan 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
FLmom

OK, that did the trick, thank goodness utahtea is back!

Apparently, the “Colorado River Discovery, LLC, was selected to provide guided river trips on the Colorado River in Glen Canyon National Recreation Area beginning November 1, 2006.” http://www.tiny.cc/fHpXe

So Wilderness River Adventures is out and Colorado River Discovery, LLC is in. I’ve already been able to make my reservations and have received a conformation, yippee!

Their website was easy to use; http://www.tiny.cc/GvWX6.

This info is on the website but I thought I’d add it here for archival purposes:
Colorado River Discovery, LLC
130 6th Avenue,
Page, AZ 86040
Toll Free 1-888-522-6644
Local 1-928-645-9175

Wow, I’ve been researching and looking at everyone’s pictures and reading every trip report I can find for the last couple of months, now my trip is finally planned and arranged and I can not wait. When I see those pictures on their website, (sap alert) I get choked up and teary-eyed, it’s just so beautiful and I still can’t believe I’m going. Thanks to all the fodorites who have posted over the years and continue to help those of us still learning how to plan these wonderful trips!

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:37 AM

I'll be interested in hearing how the float trip goes. We did this Sept 2006 and it was really beautiful. Our guide, Jim was funny and informative and he did mention that Wilderness Adventures lost the contract to do the float trip, but they are still doing the whitewater trips. It's too bad that they lost the contract because it seemed like a very professional organization.

Be sure to post back with a trip report. I love to read them, especially since I've been there now it's like reliving my trip!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:15 AM

FLmom - I so apologize. I did call the "new" people - and that was the info I was refering to. I wasn't looking at my trip notes so I gave you info about the wrong company!

Anyway, I did call the "new" company and they gave me and info and times for the 1/2 day float - they have one on the AM and one in the PM. Or at least they do in April.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Hi FLmom,

I just logged on to my computer this morning and saw the email. The Colorado River Discovery website looks really nice. I hope they do the same kind of job as Wilderness Adventure. It's a relief to know that the 1/2 day float trip is still available!

We will all be waiting for your return to hear about not only your float trip but your whole trip.

Utahtea