Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Carry On Bag for International Travel Thread - Please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our ancient luggage is now beyond the ratty stage.

My optimal bag:

1. expandable 21" (8" depth extends to 9" via a zipper)
2. Wheels and handle
3. can add straps to turn it into a backpack
4. removable day pack sized to fit under seat in front on airlines

It would be optimal if the backpack straps were very lightly padded and had an optional belly strap.

If this is not possible, I would then prefer an ultralight with no wheels - yay few extra centimeters of space! - with a backpack conversion via straps in a zippered pocket, and removable day pack sized as my and one which fits under the seat in front of me.

I find many options which don't include the removable daypack. If I end up with a wheelie bag, one of those bags which slides over the handle to fasten secure to your wheelie bag is an acceptable compromise. Thought I had found the perfect bag until I found several postings from various people online stating it had been a problem on certain flights / airlines. Apparently the wheels extend a tiny bit past the limit. On some types of planes, the bag won't fit in the overhead compartment the proper way.

Particularly, does anyone have any comments / thoughts on the more hyped ultralight options such as the Essential Carry-on, Red Oxx Air Boss, Timbuk 2 Wingman, or perhaps some other ultralight?
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://shop.eaglecreek.com/rincon-65l/d/1002_c_116

Or: http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/ca...entId=8&id=527
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 06:01 PM

HIgh Sierra makes a bag fitting your description. I'd post a link but since I've not posted here much I'm afraid they'll delete it. You can find the bag on eBags and I think I've also seen it on LuggagePros.
Old Oct 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Wanted to add I was on overstock.com today and they have the Eagle Creek version of the bag you describe.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 12:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Wh.../dp/B000H8668A

BTW i don't think they'd have deleted you, TT, that's normally when people are advertising themselves, not recommending other people's products!
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 04:53 AM

The trouble with wheeled backpacks is,that you have to carry the extra weight of the wheels when you use it as a bacpack. Opt for one or the other.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
thursdaysd - i agree, but it's what the OP said that she wants.

personally i like to stick all the heavy stuff in the hold and just travel light. for long-haul flights DH uses his rucksack as his carry on [which means that we have a rucksack with us for our travels, which is very useful] and I carry my handbag and zip-up beach-bag, which means that we have one of those too.

the fact that there are two of us travelling together does make things easier though.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM

Nope, that's not it, annhig. This is the one I meant. I shall now post with abandon....

http://www.amazon.com/High-Sierra-Ba...sierra+luggage

I have no clue how to shorten URLs, so forgive me for posting a huge link.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 01:53 PM

To shorten URLs try http://tinyurl.com/

However, people are more likely to click on a full URL because then they have some guarantee it's safe.
Old Oct 6th, 2013, 03:39 PM

If you're concerned with weight, the Campmor Essential Carryon is probably the lightest. I've used this bag for my last two trips of 18 days each, and like it a lot! I could have used a somewhat smaller one on the last trip, but cannot find anything I like as well.
Good luck with your search for the perfect bag.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM

If you're willing to ditch the wheels, I'd suggest also taking a look at the Osprey Porter 46 and the Osprey Farpoint 40. I own the Porter 46 and love it - it functions very well as a backpack (as it has a functional hip belt and load lifter straps) but all the straps tuck away nicely when you don't need them. And the compression system is great! I think you can get an optional daypack to attach to it as well.
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 04:59 PM

Just the other day we saw something that appeared to fill the bill, and we are considering again changing our 'ideal' bag:

21" duffel, with wheels & telescoping handle, with attached (and detachable) backpack atop w/ padded straps. Didn't weigh it but guessing 6-7 lbs. The cost: $59! The source: Ikea!