Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Where to go for "Once in a lifetime vacation"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
I'm trying to plan a "once in a lifetime vacation" for my family (two adults, two boys 16 years old and 18 years old). This is special for two reasons: My older son is going to college and we've never gone on a "exotic" family vacation ever! I've done a ton of research and I've come up with a few destinations: Bali, Bora Bora, Maldives, Bhutan, Kenya, South Africa, Thailand (Chiang Mai/Golden Triangle), Tanzania, Botswana or Seychelles. We want to, of course, relax, but we also like some adventure, whether it be snorkeling or hiking. The trip will take place mid-August for about 1-2 weeks. Comments or suggestions on the places? Any more to consider or an to definitely remove? Thanks everybody so much!!! (P.s. I have my ideal hotels picked out for each place so if it helps I can specify where we plan to stay)
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You should probably take Bhutan and Thailand off the list as August is monsoon season.

If you want an exciting hiking vacation you could also look into Peru, August is dry season there. Besides the famous Inca Trail there are lots of other less-crowded options in the Cordillera Blanca and other stunning ranges.

Good luck with your planning.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

@Nelson
Thank you!
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 09:52 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
August is the perfect time for visiting the game parks and reserves in South Africa. It's late winter, but also the dry season, which means (a) the wildlife viewing is easier due to lack of foliage on the trees, and (b) the animals come to the water, reducing the amount of searching you need to do.

However the beauty about South Africa is the amazing diversity. You could spend five days or so around Kruger National Park and the Panoramic Route in the north, then hop down to Cape Town and the marvelous areas surrounding it in the Western Cape for whale watching, fabulous food, a remarkable panorama of cultures and history, wildflowers up the Atlantic coast an hour north of Cape Town, and penguins on the beach nearby. It's a terrific destination for a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 09:53 AM

PS whenever someone talks about a "trip of a lifetime" my standard answer is, "Oh I hope not."
Old Feb 9th, 2014, 07:32 PM

The rand is at a 5 year low against the dollar, so it's a good time for South Africa. But if you are interested in the South Pacific, look at the Aranui 2, a combo passenger cargo ship that goes to the smaller islands no one ever visits.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 01:26 AM

you can go to india at the time of january to visit tajmahal and other places in delhi
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 05:12 AM

The OP is traveling in August. I would NEVER go to India in August. I went in mid-October, and the heat was still almost overpowering.
Old Feb 10th, 2014, 02:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would start narrowing it down by considering the weather in August in each place you mention. As others have said already, there are a few that should definitely be crossed off the list for that reason alone.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 08:41 AM

They say Bora Bora is the most beautiful island in the world. How 'they' or anyone can say that unless they have visited every island in the world is something that always amazes me when statements of that kind are made.

I don't know if Bora Bora is the most beautiful island in teh world but it is the most beautiful island I have ever visited and I've visited a lot.

As for 'trip of a lifetime', I'm with Gardyloo. Similar to 'most beautiful' etc. it is a meaningless phrase unless you know it will be the last trip of your lifetime.

As for which of your list to pick, I agree with checking the weather for each as it will have an affect. Beyond that, any preference is subjective and based on personal interests.

For my money, the Seychelles top your list.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM

<<<The trip will take place mid-August for about 1-2 weeks.>>>

Please aim for two weeks rather just a single week. For any of the places you wish to go, just getting there will significantly eat into your time. Make sure to leave a day for 'recovery' or flight delays at the end of your trip so you're not late getting back for school/work.

As for the 'once in a lifetime' idea... please don't limit yourself! Calling it that suggests that you won't get to go on such a wonderful trip again and it also puts impossible pressure on you to make it perfect. Don't put extra pressure on yourself, it's vacation and should be fun.

You might want to look for places or activities where your boys can get out on their own a bit. They're old enough that they should be able to be trusted away from the parents for a day and simply meet back at a set time/location (such as the hotel by 6pm) especially if they like to stick together rather than on their own. One of the hardest parts about a family or group vacation is when you're stuck together 24/7 and that can really wear on tempers. An afternoon or evening apart here, a day there and the entire trip becomes more fun and less stressful for everyone.

That ability to do different things can be hard to do on a beach (swimming alone in an unfamiliar place is generally an iffy idea) and can be hard to do on a safari if you're all in the park vehicle each day. For a safari, mix a couple days out in a park with a couple days in a city, or something similar. I loved my visit to Kenya and Tanzania, but it wasn't a very physical trip, there was a LOT of sitting. We were sitting and watching amazing and gorgeous animals, but that depending on your young men that might drive them to tears before too long.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 04:03 AM

This is a very "bold" trip if you only plan to visit everything in 1-2 weeks. Not to mention the unpredictable weather. However, I wish you a great holiday, congratulations for having such an accomplished (and certainly beautiful) family! All the best from London.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 04:34 AM

I've traveled a lot, and without a doubt, THE most exciting trips I've ever taken were to South Africa and Botswana. There is no contest here. I thought my first trip would be that "once in a lifetime" vacation. Wrong! Now planning my third visit.

And August is an ideal month to visit. You should have more than a week, though.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 05:05 AM

Unfortunately it looks like the OP is one-and-done.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 06:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Seems like it. It was a bit of weird list to be choosing from, the dart-throwing method of picking a destination.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 01:12 PM

The OP posted on a Sunday (9th)and this is Friday. Not everyone is posting on their employers time and dime folks. It's a bit early to write it off as a 'one-and-done' just yet I would say. It may be, it may not. The OP could easily be working all week with no time to post/check on this yet.
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 07:59 PM

Check out New Zealand-beauty,adventure,great food,history,etc. The temps would be in the 60/70"s and prices and crowds would be less.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 09:25 AM

Hi Brian
Uganda is a fantastic holiday destination - I came here as a volunteer 5 years ago - and can't bear to leave! Uganda is 'the best of Africa' and the people are so welcoming, you feel very special.
Uganda has 10 national parks, where you can see elephants, hippo, Buffalo, Leopard, lion, crocodile, giraffes, zebras… And over 1000 species of birds (an amazing 50% of Africa’s bird species).
Jinja ‘the Source of the Nile’ is a fantastic base for adrenaline activities: grade 5 white water rafting, kayaking and canoeing, quad bike riding, horseriding, fishing for giant Nile Perch, and so much more. Uganda is a great destination for the whole family.
Wherever you go in the world, August is a popular time, so you would need to book in advance. Here in Uganda is no exception, especially if you wanted to trek the mountain gorillas - that really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! You need to be over 18 but your sons (anyone over 15 yrs) would be able to track the chimps, another wonderful wildlife experience.
Uganda is small enough so that you could do all of the above comfortably in two weeks, but not feel like you’re racing to the next destination all the time.
For adventure across Uganda, pls feel free to check out my blog Diary of a Muzungu www.diaryofamuzungu.com
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Hello everybody,
Sorry for not checking the boards for awhile, I have been in Seattle for business and haven't gotten a chance to check. Thank you for all the inputs, and, to clarify, the term "once in a lifetime" is just for connotation and doesn't literally mean once in a lifetime. I've been talking to my family and we're evenly split between African safari (Tanzania, Botswana, South Africa, Kenya) and beach getaway (Maldives, Bora Bora, Seychelles). I made time to go for 2+ weeks so hopefully we have enough time too!
The trouble is narrowing down between the African and beach destinations. I can't seem to find a general consensus on which to visit because all them look so perfect!!! I wish we could visit all of them!!!
Thanks again to all!
-Brian
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 12:06 PM

<<< we're evenly split between African safari (Tanzania, Botswana, South Africa, Kenya) and beach getaway (Maldives, Bora Bora, Seychelles). >>>

Could you combine the two? Tanzania and/or Kenya and Zanzibar** for the beaches? Or South Africa and beaches there? Check on the Africa forum for ideas. If you have 2 weeks on the ground then you should be able to do both safari and beach. 10 days safari, 3-4 days beach?

**I have not been to Zanzibar as I tend to avoid beaches but I remember that was a very popular beach idea when I was researching Kenya and Tanzania.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -