Search

Where to Go?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to Go?

Dear spouse and I are retired and have been traveling for several years.We're in our late 'sixties. I see us within the next three years dramatically slowing down. Our question is in our days of average budget affording-($4-5000), limited mobility, do any folk who have traveled our way before have any suggestions? We love to cruise-carribbean heavily, Hawaii-three or four; England-three times; France-two trips but intriguing for Brittany. My spouse wants to go to the Amalfi Coast. How to get there and cost? I'm leaning to Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand. We're committed this fall for France and Rome-Galveston cruise. Next year is "iffy" due to budget. 2014 would probably be a busy year.
thanks anyone who is wiser and more experienced.
thanks everyone.
Fosterag
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I trust Rick Steves with all things European.
http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/desti...alfi-coast.htm
Did you ever watch him on PBS "Europe through the Back Door"?
Do you have a "home base" or do you travel all year long?
Rick Steves is a great connection to get train tickets or passes for European travel.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, if I were going to cruise (I need to get much more decrepit before I'll start) I'd be looking at Alaska and Scandinavia. See http://www.hurtigruten.us/

The Amalfi coast is beautiful, but you need to avoid the summer season. You get there by flying to Rome, and taking another flight or a train to Naples, and a train, bus or car further south. Post on the Europe board for more.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:43 AM

Check out the elder hostel journeys and oatravel.com
affordabletours.com great comp sites for your land excursions
also smarttours.com BBB.org A + rated.ricksteves.com has excellent info tours. My wife and I are flying to Paris in 1 week for several weeks and flying cheaply to Italy from there.
To go to Amalfi Coast fly Paris to Rome or Paris to Naples skyscanner.net then Train Naples to Sorrento 4 euros we enjoyed Majestic Palace for Pompeii Hotel Delfino in the Masa Lubrense overlooking Capri and best western Paistea Positano all under 80 euro per night last May.

Cruises are a great way to go also and only unpack once if mobility challenged as a senior. AARP travel cruisecritic.com good reviews on all your areas. More exotic areas like Asia
cruising is best. SeaBourne all suite all AI great deals on
vacationstogo.com up to 80% off a fav for us. Holland America more budget also nice.

Cruising is easiest in Strange New Areas for us by far.

Happy Planning!
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 11:55 PM

Hi

What about Greece? Lefkada island at Ionian Sea. It has airport (20 min away). Every year it is organised a revive of traditional way and after 15th of August there is the Folklore Festival. Groups from all countries are coming and dance traditional dances.
You can live in Lefkada town or in a village in good prices. There is also Meganisi island (opposite of Lefkada). It is quite and peaceful. You can have relaxing and calm vacation with a great view. Many beautiful beaches at both islands.
Your advantage is there are many close destinations you can visit. Like Cefalonia island, Corfu island, Peloponese and many others.

Friendly
from Greece
Old Apr 9th, 2012, 03:31 AM

If you like cruises why not a Mediterranean cruise: Rome, Amalfi Coast, Istambul, Santorini, Mykonos ?

Happy Planning
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:01 PM

I think you already decide to spent your next vacation in Amalfi coast. The best way to get there is flying to Rome and take direct train south. Anyway, repost your question in Europe section might bring you higher traffic.