Where should I travel to next??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where should I travel to next??

WHICH COUNTRY SHOULD I TRAVEL TO???
🙌☀️✈️🏝🏕 🌎

To give some background, I am 18, will be travelling solo (my first time) and it will be for a minimum of two weeks and maximum of a month and a half. The time period I have is from the start of November to halfway through December this year.

If you know any countries that tick these boxes I would LOVE to hear about them!!!

✅ Budget friendly with decent public transport
✅ Lots of amazing wildlife, nature and national parks are a must
✅ Interesting culture and history
✅ Vegetarian options

🌟 Bonus points if you know of any volunteering programmes or opportunities to be involved in with the environment, conservation wildlife or agriculture!!

A few options I have been tossing around are Eastern europe, where there is still bears, wolves etc, south american countries like peru, Ecuador or Chile, and also South Africa.

I can’t wait to hear your suggestions!! 😊
TIA
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Hi again, I saw your post over on Trip Advisor too Here on Fodor's you will get more replies if you post on a Destination Forum. So find the country tags on the Europe or South American branches for each country and ask your question there. Repost in a couple places for wider readership.

I will say what I said on the other forum. I think you will have more success since it is your very first time traveling, and since you are going alone at a young age, to make a more simple, less exotic plan for your first time out than wolves, bears, Peru, Chile, etc.

Finding a place that is: budget friendly, vegetarian, with interesting culture and history... is almost anywhere! I suggest a couple cities in Europe for a first trip, to get you "sea legs" for travel, and solo travel.

Also do check the weather in December. Unless you are OK traveling in winter-time (eastern Europe). Also I don't think 2-weeks is enough for SA countries, but would be OK for Europe.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi Suze, thanks for your advice (on both forums)! All very wise advice, I will look into some European cities.
Thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 07:28 PM

IME most South American countries would meet those requirements but you do need to check the weather situation. Peru is arguably the easiest country in which to travel on the continent and is pretty inexpensive. May to October is the optimum time as it is the rainy season in the Andes for the remainder of the year. Colombia may well be worth considering. Ecuador, I don’t think would be suitable for a first time solo trip. Chile is pretty expensive for South America but still cheaper than the US or U.K..

The weather is not the be all end all but is an important factor worth some of your time to research.

Europe, especially Western Europe will vary widely in terms of costs but in the main will be more expensive than SA. It will also be winter, so wether is not going to be great in many places.

I am in the midst of planning our trip to South Africa and whilst It seems good value, it is not as bugpdgte friendly as some places we have been - looks amazing though and Nov/Dec is an excellent time.

Depending on where you are coming from and the cost of flights etc.SE Asia - Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos would be a great option to consider. Cheap accommodation, great food, relatively easy and cheap to get around by bus, boat, plane and train and lots of travellers of a similar age to yourself.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:45 AM

We don't know Star's home country (do we?). While Europe might be more expensive on the ground, the ticket to get there may be significantly less than a ticket to SA or SEAsia just because of distance.

I guess I'm being overly cautious but I don't see "Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos" as a good trip for an 18 year old first timer who's never traveled, female, alone. Seems like doing a 'learning curve' first trip to somewhere like Amsterdam or Berlin, to me would be a lot less 'culture shock' for a newbie to get the hang of how it's done.

If something goes wrong, I think Europe would be a lot less intimidating to find yourself sick, alone, lost, etc. than somewhere more removed in South America or SE Asia.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 02:01 AM

"I guess I'm being overly cautious but I don't see "Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos" as a good trip for an 18 year old first timer who's never traveled, female, alone." I agree, you are being overly cautious. SE Asia is probably the single most popular destination for a first backpacking trip and sees many, many 18 year olds taking there first trip overseas. As regards getting sick, do not travel without a comprehensive travel insurance policy that covers, health, injury, cancellation, delays, baggage etc.

SE Asia also ticks all of the OPs original boxes which I think is not the case with Europe.
Old Aug 2nd, 2019, 02:41 PM

hey she can go wherever she wants. she doesn't need to pay any attention to me.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 08:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
She's from Australia. So SE Asia would work well logistically. I'd tend to agree with Crellston's advice. Although Perú would work too. It's a relatively small country, the variety of cultures and landscapes are amazing, and you wouldn't have to cross any borders. Plus a well established tourist infrastructure.

Last edited by Moderator1; Aug 4th, 2019 at 09:14 AM. Reason: deleted aggressive comments
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 06:07 AM

If budget is a factor and when isn’t it and as you are flying from Oz then SEA is a good choice as Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia are friendly to AUD as would be Malaysia as well.
Singapore is close to Kuala Lumpur but is very expensive. However food can be cheap and good because of all the hawker centers, public transportation is also inexpensive and you have Chinese, Malay and Indian cultures there too. Cheap accommodations is another matter but I think you could find something not crazy high in little India and/or Chinatown. Singapore will have a lot of vegetarian options too as will Malaysia.
If you go to KL then to me Singapore is so close its worth a trip. You need a few days, say three and its an amazing place though too urban for some. However its well organized, clean and very safe especially for a solo female.
As crellston said get travel insurance to cover delays, lost luggage and above all coverage for any medical issues that may crop up.
I recommend seeing a travel clinic before you go as sanitation in some places in SEA isn’t up to your standards and your gut isn’t used to local bacteria. Be cautious!
If you do go just be careful. You will be excited but don’t come across as a babe in the woods so to speak. Not everyone is as nice as you appear to be. JM2C.

Last edited by jacketwatch; Aug 31st, 2019 at 06:20 AM.